COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Oh, I've already decided to keep it, Lena!!! :D
My main reasons for thinking about getting rid of it were 2: I could see that little bits were crumbling off over time, and I had NO IDEA how to take care of it. I figured it's a shame to let something SO amazing fall apart, so it would be better of with someone who could take care of it. BUT now I have the guidance and support of a large group of really lovely and SUPER KNOWLEDGABLE people over at the fossil forum!!!!! So my next step will be stabilizing it!

The second reason was that other than being a turtle from China, I knew nothing at all about it. BUT those AMAZING fossil forum people quickly established its :eek: genus and species!!!!!
It is Anosteira maomingensis!!!!! It is related to the soft shelled turtles and is also grouped with the Carettochelyidae which is the PIG NOSED TURTLE (aka Fly River Turtle) which is alive and well and found in Australia!!!!!!! The Fly River Turtle is ADORABLE, and in the heady euphoria of new discoveries I though i might keep a pet Fly River Turtle as a pet since I was already "keeping" its distant cousin, but a quick search of the care required and sanity returned!!!!! :p:rolleyes:

My fossil turtle was a fresh water turtle and had flippers with 2 claws on the front instead of regular legs. It inhabited rivers and lagoons. Knowing all this about it really gives it "personality" or "turtle-ality" !!!
Back when first got him in 1996, I named him Gompah which is a Tibetan word for "monastery." It basically means "a house in the solitude." Since turtles carry their houses on their backs, they're always at home whether with others or "in the solitude." :)
I plan to get Gompah in good, safe condition and keep him to add his own "karma" to our home!

Hi Bea,
It’s great that you’ve decided to keep it. I thought it looked fantastic regardless of its authenticity but I’m glad Adam was right. Now that you know a lot more about it, it will probably become a very special piece in your home. How are your efforts at stabilizing it?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Since the stabilization of my fossil involves plastic polymer dissolved in acetone, I can't do that safely inside the house and it's WAAAAAYYYY too cold to do it outside right now!
At the advice of the fossil forum experts, I'm going to tuck Gompah safely away in a drawer somewhere until the weather warms up a bit. I will probably practice painting actual stabilizer on something else first- like maybe a brick- before I work on the fossil. I want to be clear on just how the material spreads etc :) New adventures in the offing!!!!!!!

Just saw this. Good plan!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi Bea,
It’s great that you’ve decided to keep it. I thought it looked fantastic regardless of its authenticity but I’m glad Adam was right. Now that you know a lot more about it, it will probably become a very special piece in your home. How are your efforts at stabilizing it?

Thanks, Lena![emoji2]

To stabilize it, I’ll wait until the weather is warm enough that I can work with it outside. That’s because I’ll be mixing up a solutions of plastic polymer beads dissolved in acetone. Acetone is very volatile and highly flammable, so it’s not a good idea to use it inside (except as nail polish remover!) [emoji2]