COLD DARK ROOM

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Good afternoon all. We are on the way home on the train. The snow appears to have eased and hopefully isn’t too bad.

It is :censored: freezing!

Today we have been to Clapham South Deep Shelter - One of 8 built during the second world war to accommodate Londoners sheltering from Nazi air attacks.

It could sleep 8000 people at full capacity. It was never an underground station although one of its entrances is from the Northern Line.

After the war it was used as a “hotel” for people visiting the 1951 Festival of Britain, for accommodation for the first Caribbean immigrants and for accommodation for troops for King George VI funeral and the subsequent coronation of the current Queen Elizabeth II.

Then it was turned into document archives which is what saved it.
View attachment 233282
View attachment 233283
View attachment 233284

It’s 180 steps down (and up) - around 70ft/20 metres below ground.

There is another world in subterranean London.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
'bout all I can say for it is, "Well, the sheets look clean."
In its Air Raid Shelter days, people had to bring everything with them: Bedding, clothing, etc. That's 180 steps down to the shelter and then lugging everything back up 180 steps in the morning as you weren't allowed to leave things there for the next night unless your home had been completely destroyed by bombing.

There were 4 canteen serveries. Everything cost 2d (2 old pennies) whether you bought a cup of tea, a sandwich or a pie. This was expensive for the day, so people used to take their own food too.

There were also two free medical bays where people could get free health care... Which was before our free National Health Service was invented.

During the day, everything was fumigated ready for the next night.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
In its Air Raid Shelter days, people had to bring everything with them: Bedding, clothing, etc. That's 180 steps down to the shelter and then lugging everything back up 180 steps in the morning as you weren't allowed to leave things there for the next night unless your home had been completely destroyed by bombing.

There were 4 canteen serveries. Everything cost 2d (2 old pennies) whether you bought a cup of tea, a sandwich or a pie. This was expensive for the day, so people used to take their own food too.

There were also two free medical bays where people could get free health care... Which was before our free National Health Service was invented.

During the day, everything was fumigated ready for the next night.
They should nake some money and charge a fee to stay there one night.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They should nake some money and charge a fee to stay there one night.
I think it fails every modern Health & Safety regulation, particularly those for fire and escape in case of fire. You can only go to see it in pre-booked small groups and anything remotely flammable is taken off you before you descend.

The toilet facilities were chemical toilets as the shelter is below the level of London's sewers. The toilet buckets were emptied into a tank and this was pumped out into the sewerage system.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
On the weather front....cold and flurries here in Md. Early morning was bright warm sunshine....but, not now. Father Frost is clearly in charge and keeping grips on for as long as he can. The month of March has already been much colder than February.
March has been much colder than February for us here in Louisiana as well. o_O

Are you dug out after :eek: 3 nor'easters in 2 weeks??!?!?!?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
March has been much colder than February for us here in Louisiana as well. o_O

Are you dug out after :eek: 3 nor'easters in 2 weeks??!?!?!?

Luckily.....we just missed all the snow. Just bla out...and now flurries. Daffodils are standing like soldiers...but birds are still hitting the feeders.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Changing subjects.... Ireland seal St Patrick's Day glory to claim only their third Grand Slam when they overpowered England 24-15 in their Six Nations Championship encounter at Twickenham
They certainly did.

England were never in the match.

Interesting point that the Irish rugby team is in fact a combined team with players from both Northern Ireland (part of the UK) and the Republic of Ireland (aka Eire). This is VERY unusual, not least because of the religious and political divides, so the team has its own "national" anthem called "Ireland, Ireland".

Wales beat France narrowly and came runners up in the Six Nations Championship ... so Adam and I, who both have Welsh halves to our ancestry, are both happy :)

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
They certainly did.

England were never in the match.

Interesting point that the Irish rugby team is in fact a combined team with players from both Northern Ireland (part of the UK) and the Republic of Ireland (aka Eire). This is VERY unusual, not least because of the religious and political divides, so the team has its own "national" anthem called "Ireland, Ireland".

Wales beat France narrowly and came runners up in the Six Nations Championship ... so Adam and I, who both have Welsh halves to our ancestry, are both happy :)

Interesting.... I too have some of that Welsh blood in my veins....and Staffordshire as well!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I think it fails every modern Health & Safety regulation, particularly those for fire and escape in case of fire. You can only go to see it in pre-booked small groups and anything remotely flammable is taken off you before you descend.

The toilet facilities were chemical toilets as the shelter is below the level of London's sewers. The toilet buckets were emptied into a tank and this was pumped out into the sewerage system.
Aaaahhh. Okay. I wouldn't be a fan of a bucket toilet. And hmmm the fire hazard thing would be a problem. Pity - it would be fun except for the bucket toilet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just wanted to let you all know that I haven't forgotten the prizes for our two 100,000 post winners. I have Kristof's and Adam's addresses from the card exchange, and today I finally received the last prize in the mail, so I'll be packaging them up this week and taking them to the post office this coming Friday. Congratulations to the two winners! Now let's see what's going to happen for the 200,000th!!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Just wanted to let you all know that I haven't forgotten the prizes for our two 100,000 post winners. I have Kristof's and Adam's addresses from the card exchange, and today I finally received the last prize in the mail, so I'll be packaging them up this week and taking them to the post office this coming Friday. Congratulations to the two winners! Now let's see what's going to happen for the 200,000th!!!!!

That’s great!!!!!
THANKS, Yvonne!!!![emoji2][emoji173]️