COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good morning, roommates! I'm back. I'm OK. :D
Daughter got the 1st place in the Vocal nomination. I'm a proud mama, of course. But I would have been anyway. :D
Postcards from Aarhus to follow.

Well done Lena’s daughter!

And well done Lena of course. It’s amazing what traumatising your daughter can do ;)

Glad you had a lovely weekend :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am pretty sure their will divides equally between their two sons. The grandchildren may not get a lookin. If they do, I am pretty sure they’ll be treated equally regardless b
Lol, That family fight has then been avoided. My Gran always promised me that when she passed away My Mom's portion would come to us kids, But I never saw anything when she died. I am assuming that because she was on pension for a long time that there was not any life insurance anymore, and if there was and her other children took it, then I didn't mind that either, as I think that they would have needed it more than we did or do. Besides I would rather keep the peace and her memory in tact than have it destroyed by fighting over who gets what etc.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good to hear it Carol,
Hopefully the seeds won't take too long.
I am useless at growing things.
Do you have greenhouse?
Nope, I have an avairy outside, which no longer has any birds in it. So I planted the seeds in there, so that I can keep the dogs and cat out of it. But it might be worth looking into turning it into a greenhouse. All I would need to do is to get some clear plastic and encase the whole avairy in it. I would obviously need to keep the door open (but would need to cover the door with plastic as well but as a seperate cover) and I would need to figure out how to catch the rain and divert the water inside. Shouldn't be too hard. However that would be a project for another time.:eek:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning, roommates! I'm back. I'm OK. :D
Daughter got the 1st place in the Vocal nomination. I'm a proud mama, of course. But I would have been anyway. :D
Postcards from Aarhus to follow.
There wasn't any doubt that your daughter would win. And we are proud roommates, Of course. So glad you survived and made it back all in one piece.;)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well that is me all caught up. The weekend was definitly not long enough, and it is so depressing getting up when it is dark and cold. Brrrr it was 6c this morning according to my car. But the sun is out again and should be here until at least friday again according to the weather report. I am trying to wean myself off my pain tablets and sleeping tablets, to see how my body actually feels. As I often wonder if half the pain that I feel is not coming from my body just wanting pain tablets instead of really needing them. It is hard though, as there are area's which are in pain at the moment, but if I really think about it, it isn't any worse than I feel when I take the pain tabs. So we will see. I managed to take the tablets yesterday only once (I skipped the morning dose and took them at lunch time only) and I have skipped this mornings and will be skipping it at lunch as well. I will take one dose this evening. I am slowly skipping nights with the sleeping tablets as well and hopefully will get to a point where I don't need any of them. Anywayyyyy I hope you are all having a good Monday. I just can't wait for Friday again. Silly me wishing my life away.....

Bee62

Germany

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The picture inspired me because these turtles are named "Pig-nosed-turtle" .....
That`s why "Miss Piggy".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig-nosed_turtle
Lol, I was actually reading a post over the weekend, it was an old thread where the OP had pics of hatchlings (Which by the way looked SOOOO much cuter than the adult one) and then you posted the pic of the adult one. LOL. Coincidence ?

DE42

I have looked at a few of the box turtle care guides and one thing I what to see is no there. I'm not sure why it's left out.
It will tell you how big a take or enclosure you need for a hatchling and then just say they will need a bigger one as they grow. It will tell what you need in it but not how big.

So how big on an indoor encourage do you need for a box turtle as it grows? What footprint does it need?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I hope that you and yours faired well in the storms and flooding.

The rains have stopped, some flooding, a few roads completely washed away...trees have fallen over wrecked a few cars and damaged houses. But for now mostly good througout the area. We are WAY over average rainfall amounts thats for sure.

79E41155-8C03-4F5E-98CD-89B2B40041BA.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well that is me all caught up. The weekend was definitly not long enough, and it is so depressing getting up when it is dark and cold. Brrrr it was 6c this morning according to my car. But the sun is out again and should be here until at least friday again according to the weather report. I am trying to wean myself off my pain tablets and sleeping tablets, to see how my body actually feels. As I often wonder if half the pain that I feel is not coming from my body just wanting pain tablets instead of really needing them. It is hard though, as there are area's which are in pain at the moment, but if I really think about it, it isn't any worse than I feel when I take the pain tabs. So we will see. I managed to take the tablets yesterday only once (I skipped the morning dose and took them at lunch time only) and I have skipped this mornings and will be skipping it at lunch as well. I will take one dose this evening. I am slowly skipping nights with the sleeping tablets as well and hopefully will get to a point where I don't need any of them. Anywayyyyy I hope you are all having a good Monday. I just can't wait for Friday again. Silly me wishing my life away.....

I had to wean myself off painkillers... never got as far as sleeping tablets fortunately.

Like you, I felt they weren’t actually doing much and when I needed to take them was because I needed the tablet, not because the pain needed it.

Doing it under medical supervision is probably better than how I did it. I went cold turkey and felt really ill for about a week.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have looked at a few of the box turtle care guides and one thing I what to see is no there. I'm not sure why it's left out.
It will tell you how big a take or enclosure you need for a hatchling and then just say they will need a bigger one as they grow. It will tell what you need in it but not how big.

So how big on an indoor encourage do you need for a box turtle as it grows? What footprint does it need?

You need @Yvonne G for that. Why not ask in the Box Turtle forum?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The rains have stopped, some flooding, a few roads completely washed away...trees have fallen over wrecked a few cars and damaged houses. But for now mostly good througout the area. We are WAY over average rainfall amounts thats for sure.

View attachment 240874

We are way over too. I hope things dry up quickly for you. I think we have seen the worst of it now in the UK

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Hey dan...a lot of people have large fully planted outdoor enclosures, complete with water features for their boxies, then let them hibernate/over winter in those areas. Some move their boxies inside...a lot depends on how much room one can provide. Ive seen where 4 x 8 feet enclosure (size of a piece of plywood) can work. Of course, all the substrate, leaf litter, water, lighting and keeping warm during winter...that all needs to get incorporated into the enclosure.