COLD DARK ROOM

DE42

Hey dan...a lot of people have large fully planted outdoor enclosures, complete with water features for their boxies, then let them hibernate/over winter in those areas. Some move their boxies inside...a lot depends on how much room one can provide. Ive seen where 4 x 8 feet enclosure (size of a piece of plywood) can work. Of course, all the substrate, leaf litter, water, lighting and keeping warm during winter...that all needs to get incorporated into the enclosure.
I just don't want to make an outdoor one because I well be selling out and moving eventually. Most likely in a year. That's why I want an indoor one.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just don't want to make an outdoor one because I well be selling out and moving eventually. Most likely in a year. That's why I want an indoor one.

Gotcha. That makes sense for sure. You could make a pretty nice enclosure at the 4 x 8 foot size....depends how much room in your house you can dedicate to a Boxie! Good luck.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
5' circle is too small an area. You can do the math. You're looking for 32 sq ft minimum

Yes.....by the time you subtract ground space occupied by a water bowl, a food bowl, a hide of two, plants both large and small, some rocks, a log or two, ....there really isnt much open crawl space left in the kiddie pool. Id stick with the recommended 4 x 8 size. Or, connect a few pools together like Carol suggested as well.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is what I needed to know the minimum requirements. I did see the suggestion of 8 by 4 but I did not know that was the minimum requirements. Thank you.

It’s a rule of thumb, but as close to that as you can go and the bigger the better.

Only babies can cope with smaller enclosures, but they soon outgrow them. These animals roam miles in the wild and in captivity we have to allow fir that

DE42

It’s a rule of thumb, but as close to that as you can go and the bigger the better.

Only babies can cope with smaller enclosures, but they soon outgrow them. These animals roam miles in the wild and in captivity we have to allow fir that
Ok.
You see I was looking at things like this.
But it's just 48"x30"Screenshot_20180604-131336.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few days ago I took in a Hermanni hermanni bottgeri (sp?) that a woman didn't want any more. It was getting to be too much for her to care for. So two days ago I get a call from her that her son is very upset she gave the tortoise away and he wants it. I told her that's fine, he can come get the tortoise. Then I didn't hear from her/him for the next two days. I'm getting in more desert tortoises and I need the space, so I was just getting ready to call and ask when they're coming to get the tortoise when the son calls me, "I want to come get the turtle." I had an ad running about a 'found' tortoise, and I thought this was in response to that ad, so I said, "The owners of the TORTOISE are on there way here to pick up the animal. Be here in a few minutes." "But it's MY turtle." I asked if he could give me more information and he told me that his mom had brought me the turtle. Then I realized I was talking to someone else. So I said I was sorry for the mix up and gave him my address. That was three hours ago and I'm still waiting for him.

I have a bad feeling about this guy. I don't think he has the vaguest notion how to care for a TORTOISE. The mom kept the tortoise in an aquarium and fed it romaine with other veggies occasionally, and outside time occasionally. She had it for 10 years and it's in nice shape. But I think the son has this picture in his mind of a tortoise in an aquarium with lettuce thrown at it. I printed off Chris's care sheet and I'll give that to him, also I'll show him how I have the tortoise set up outside, that's about all I can do. But I worry for the tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A few days ago I took in a Hermanni hermanni bottgeri (sp?) that a woman didn't want any more. It was getting to be too much for her to care for. So two days ago I get a call from her that her son is very upset she gave the tortoise away and he wants it. I told her that's fine, he can come get the tortoise. Then I didn't hear from her/him for the next two days. I'm getting in more desert tortoises and I need the space, so I was just getting ready to call and ask when they're coming to get the tortoise when the son calls me, "I want to come get the turtle." I had an ad running about a 'found' tortoise, and I thought this was in response to that ad, so I said, "The owners of the TORTOISE are on there way here to pick up the animal. Be here in a few minutes." "But it's MY turtle." I asked if he could give me more information and he told me that his mom had brought me the turtle. Then I realized I was talking to someone else. So I said I was sorry for the mix up and gave him my address. That was three hours ago and I'm still waiting for him.

I have a bad feeling about this guy. I don't think he has the vaguest notion how to care for a TORTOISE. The mom kept the tortoise in an aquarium and fed it romaine with other veggies occasionally, and outside time occasionally. She had it for 10 years and it's in nice shape. But I think the son has this picture in his mind of a tortoise in an aquarium with lettuce thrown at it. I printed off Chris's care sheet and I'll give that to him, also I'll show him how I have the tortoise set up outside, that's about all I can do. But I worry for the tortoise.
Oh dear :( This doesn't sound good at all.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Goodness :eek: I hope he’s willing to learn...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Oh shame Yvonne. I imagine that must be the hardest part for you. Having to let go with the feeling that they won't do right by the tortoise. I really hope your feeling is wrong and that the son takes your advice and looks after the tortoise properly.