COLD DARK ROOM

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Lena is Russian and currently living in Denmark... she is used to cold... although I think she misses the warmth of Turkey which is where she was living when she found the CDR :)

It’s brilliant in here. You can travel the world just by using your computer, phone or tablet :)
So right. And having friends all over the world is wonderful.

Bee62

Germany
I know how you feel Yvonne. It looks like Adam truly has deserted us now. We haven’t been invited to party with him at all this year.

He said he didn’t feel like he belonged here any more, turned up to tell us of Jane’s visit and then disappeared.

I just hope he really is OK and happy because I feel very sad that someone who I thought was my (and our) friend has decided to just walk away.

The CDR has been very flat since his disappearance and what he said to Sabine made things seem worse to me not better :(
I am sad that Adam left us alone here. He has lost a good friend of him that died but that is not the only reason he left us.
It is not right to leave us. Only my opinion.

Bee62

Germany
On second thought, he looks nothing like him. Amazing what your memory does as you get older:

03f42c939ff4fded24198e4b50641063.jpg

I'll bet he;s not even a pit!
No, that dog seems to be an American bulldog.:)

Bee62

Germany
I just took in 2018 Rescue #56:

View attachment 252442 View attachment 252443

Another male. Where the heck are all the female sulcatas? This one had to be given up because a German Shepherd had become protective of the female head of household and wouldn't allow the tortoise near the lady. He had grabbed ahold of the shell just above the tortoise's head (you can see a roughness) and wouldn't let go. The lady squirted the dog with the hose, but he kept going back and biting the tortoise. She says the dog tortoise relationship was ok until the tortoise came too close to the lady.
The lady was unable to discipline the dog. She must have done something wrong because German Shepards are easy to discipline. I think that the dog thinks he is the "leader" and has to protect the lady. My dogs know that they are not the leader but I am their leader !
They would never dare to bite a tortoise or a cat !

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Another male. Where the heck are all the female sulcatas? This one had to be given up because a German Shepherd had become protective of the female head of household and wouldn't allow the tortoise near the lady. He had grabbed ahold of the shell just above the tortoise's head (you can see a roughness) and wouldn't let go. The lady squirted the dog with the hose, but he kept going back and biting the tortoise. She says the dog tortoise relationship was ok until the tortoise came too close to the lady.

My heart is breaking! Beautiful guy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
NUTZ!!! I wanted to watch the new show "Manifest" tonight, but it's on the same time as " The Good Doctor" on another station. I LOVE "The Good Doctor" but "Manifest" look interesting. Shoot!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Number 56 just this year? Yvonne, you’re a saint!!
Keeping dogs and torts separately — I’ll need to think of that one hard, because some day I’d love to have both.

Isn’t it true that when eggs are incubated at slightly lower temps, mostly males would develop?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's such a shame, especially from a long term perspective. That sulcata could live to see many generations of dogs (hopefully from a distance).

I have to wonder if it's a younger dog, too... Just coming into his own, reaching full size, trying to solidify his place in the pack.

Maybe Tom has a tortoise safety training program for canines? Seems like there's a market for it.

Tom is adamant that dogs and torts just don’t mix. And he is an animal trainer! I think that says quite a lot.

I am sure Misty and Aldabraman Greg’s German Shepherd are both sufficiently well trained and supervised to be trusted with torts, but many people don’t actually train their dogs properly... the dog thinks it is leading the household ‘pack’ rather than the human.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The lady was unable to discipline the dog. She must have done something wrong because German Shepards are easy to discipline. I think that the dog thinks he is the "leader" and has to protect the lady. My dogs know that they are not the leader but I am their leader !
They would never dare to bite a tortoise or a cat !

Snap!