COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Of course it works. It’s basic maths! Add your age to the year you were born and you get this year ... or subtract your year of birth from this year to get your age. :D

There’s nothing special about this. It happens every year... actually it only truly accurate December 31 due to people’s birth dates. :D

[emoji23][emoji85][emoji23]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Of course it works. It’s basic maths! Add your age to the year you were born and you get this year ... or subtract your year of birth from this year to get your age. :D

There’s nothing special about this. It happens every year... actually it only truly accurate December 31 due to people’s birth dates. :D

Actually, it wouldn’t work in Turkey! When people there tell their age, they don’t say how many years they have fulfilled (like if you were born in 2000, you’d say you’re 18). Instead they say what year of their life they’ve entered (you celebrated your 18th birthday yesterday but now it’s over, so you’re in your 19th year now). It was very confusing for me. :confused:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Yes, but people don't think like that. So when people first read it, it is a Wow, that is so true. My youngest got what you said the first time and also said more or less the same thing you did Linda. and to be honest I really didn't think further than working it out to see if it was true. LOL. My son's most definitely did not get their maths skills from me.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Actually, it wouldn’t work in Turkey! When people there tell their age, they don’t say how many years they have fulfilled (like if you were born in 2000, you’d say you’re 18). Instead they say what year of their life they’ve entered (you celebrated your 18th birthday yesterday but now it’s over, so you’re in your 19th year now). It was very confusing for me. :confused:
Hmm, Now that is interesting.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Morning All,

Thank you for the good laughs this morning.

We have a new girl who started working today, so I haven't been able to come on yet. Until now of course. I hope everyone is having an awesome Tuesday.

Lunch time is over for me, so until later. Not see you all.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Can you ask them to PM me for attention in their thread? I don’t get the tag notifications. I won’t respond in PMs... I go looking for the thread :)
I can definitely do that. I'll start conveying that in their threads. :D
It's always such a huge help to have someone knowledgeable, experienced, and local (or at least regional).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm sure it's a constant challenge, having to import everything to an island.
It's not even an import problem. It's demand. You have to go to ethnic grocers to get many exotics unless some tv chef has been saying how wonderful they are ... or they fit with a fad diet.

We are pretty big as an island goes with one of the world's biggest economies. We are only 20 miles from the French coast with a rail tunnel linking us to mainland Europe aswell as many ports. Imports really aren't an issue here (until Brexit goes through anyway, but that's a political discussion not allowed in TFO... suffice to say I voted against)