COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The screen lids for 20L tanks are nowhere near as sturdy as those designed for 40B tanks. The 40B lid can hold a cat or two (or maybe even three) without incident.

Our bearded dragon tank (40B) is under the old fireplace mantel (the fireplace is no longer functional since the roof was replaced last year). A few months ago, our smallest cat, Pixie, who tips the scales at a whopping 6 lbs, was up on the mantel where she knows she isn't supposed to be.

Anyway, Pixie got spotted on the mantel that morning, and got fussed at, and she was so startled at being caught and fussed at, that she jumped down from the mantel in a panic.

Down came a fairly heavy, framed piece of artwork, the corner of which hit the lid of the 40B tank. The artwork and Pixie were both fine. The screen lid, hinged lengthwise, barely showed a dent. You'd have to know what you were looking for, and where, to find it again.

The LEGO Christmas village, which had been living on the mantel since last year, did not fare so well. The LEGO village has received its disaster declaration, and the wayward pieces have been recovered, but the reconstruction effort has not yet begun. That's on my significant other's to do list.
Lego Cat-astrophe. Pixie sounds a daintier name than the cat it belongs to! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We're having a pretty decent rain event here this a.m. Rained off and on all night too. We could sure use it. But it makes it hard to go out in the a.m. and take care of my tortoise duties. My daughter bought me this last Christmas (sorry, couldn't figure out how to get a picture of the mirror without the glaring flash feedback):

View attachment 258348

So that takes care of walking back and forth from one tortoise yard to the next, however, it doesn't fit through the shed doors, so it has to be removed everytime I get where I'm going. Might as well use a regular umbrella. Oh well, my daughter's heart was in the right place.
That would blow away here today!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
We're having a pretty decent rain event here this a.m. Rained off and on all night too. We could sure use it. But it makes it hard to go out in the a.m. and take care of my tortoise duties. My daughter bought me this last Christmas (sorry, couldn't figure out how to get a picture of the mirror without the glaring flash feedback):

View attachment 258348

So that takes care of walking back and forth from one tortoise yard to the next, however, it doesn't fit through the shed doors, so it has to be removed everytime I get where I'm going. Might as well use a regular umbrella. Oh well, my daughter's heart was in the right place.

Great to put a face to the name for newer members... :confused: [emoji23]

At least your hands are free for all those tons of lettuce [emoji6]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 258348

Lol. That is all that counts right. What about those see through rain coats with a hoodie. Wouldn't that work as well?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
The screen lids for 20L tanks are nowhere near as sturdy as those designed for 40B tanks. The 40B lid can hold a cat or two (or maybe even three) without incident.

Our bearded dragon tank (40B) is under the old fireplace mantel (the fireplace is no longer functional since the roof was replaced last year). A few months ago, our smallest cat, Pixie, who tips the scales at a whopping 6 lbs, was up on the mantel where she knows she isn't supposed to be.

Anyway, Pixie got spotted on the mantel that morning, and got fussed at, and she was so startled at being caught and fussed at, that she jumped down from the mantel in a panic.

Down came a fairly heavy, framed piece of artwork, the corner of which hit the lid of the 40B tank. The artwork and Pixie were both fine. The screen lid, hinged lengthwise, barely showed a dent. You'd have to know what you were looking for, and where, to find it again.

The LEGO Christmas village, which had been living on the mantel since last year, did not fare so well. The LEGO village has received its disaster declaration, and the wayward pieces have been recovered, but the reconstruction effort has not yet begun. That's on my significant other's to do list.

Glad the tank wasn’t damaged. Impish little thing! [emoji23][emoji85][emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

I have only one cat and scooby-doo who sometimes acts like a cat jumping up on furniture and the dinning room table. That's enough thank you.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Lego Cat-astrophe. Pixie sounds a daintier name than the cat it belongs to! :D
Oh, Pixie is a FULL SIZE personality in a Tinkerbell size package! For mischief, that 6 lb. cat can go toe-to-toe with any of the heavyweights. In fact, she occasionally bosses one or two of them around... :rolleyes:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When I lived in the UK, I learned to wear rain jackets instead of trying to keep umbrellas from turning inside out.
There's no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing :D

I bought a new raincoat today. The zip has failed - well nearly, but it's going to give up completely very shortly - on my waterproof goretex jacket so I had to replace it.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Wow. You are obviously the one to go to on advice on orchids. Well you and Linda.
I can just tell you what survives neglect well in my corner of the world... Mostly cattleya and oncidium types. They can survive erratic watering (floods and droughts) and a wide range of temperatures and sunshine.

I also have some vanda types that manage to hang in there pretty well, too. They like hot and humid. One of them surprised me by putting up a bloom stalk... I just noticed it yesterday.