COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Its going to be in the low 50s tonight.
Even though its 77 and sunny now?
I just bought in Julio and the baby. Luckily I was able to find the baby fast.
One thing though. When I bought Julio from the flea market 8 years ago, I named her Julio. To later decide it was a she.
Well as of this afternoon.....She's a HE.
God knows how I've managed to not know the sex of my own tortoise!
But Julio is indeed a boy.
Photos to come
Welcome to the 'male torts with female names' club.:)
Although, I always thought Julio was the male version of Julia - shows what I know!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good Evening All

Very blustery cold day, but we had to make a few errands so we did venture outside. During our minor road trip we managed to see a beaver, yes a beaver, a Blue Heron, two dead deer, a handfull of vultures sitting on the ground eyeing up some road kill, a big Hawk swooping away with road kill, and four doe. You wouldn’t think we are just 25 miles or so from the White House.

Old Father Klaus and his brother Kris are almost done....today - some painting. A few more steps need to be finished off, then finish and mount to a base.

A683FD2A-38B8-4F02-90A2-3B1AC9E37692.jpeg 797EC808-64AF-4D21-9A22-72CB509F6537.jpeg 90C05B52-062E-4F75-BAFB-09E67A4AEFE9.jpeg

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Greetings All

Cold up here in Maryland too coupled with quite breezy conditions. Tomorrow, sustained winds of 35-40 mph, then rain Friday and Saturday.

Been assisting “wifey” with her chip carving that she started when I pulled out my carving tools and wood late last week. She drew the pattern free hand onto a piece of wood I had laying around and started chipping out the pattern. Today I cut the cross out of the blank, and she stained it. We then worked on making the base from a piece of cedar tree.

Needs some waxing then a good hand polishing. Not too bad for a first wood working project.

View attachment 258298
That's beautiful and also pretty impressive for a first attempt.
Your wife must have a natural talent for carving.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Ok now.
Had a few weeks that were just crazy. It's always amazing how things don't go as planned.
Had to fly down to my parents in Texas after my mom got put in the hospital. She had developed septicemia and had to have two of her toes amputated. This happened because she stubbed her toe, broke it in three places, and is a diabetic and didn't know it.
Clunker has been living in bliss in his new enclosure. He has even become more tolerant of hubby!
We had the yearly conference with my daughter's school and she has been doing excellent (last year she fell way behind on her work because she was being lazy)
Hubby had decided to go for the job in Montana but the company said they were trying to fill a couple more positions before they gave a date for him to start... And now we haven't heard back from them. I think hubby should call them to see what's going on, but he feels like that would make him a nag.
I missed the calendar competition! Ugh, that was while I was in Texas. Oh well- I'll just wait till next year.

How is everyone else doing? Tell me all about it[emoji217]
Hi and welcome back!!
So sorry to hear about your Mum; that peripheral neuropathy is quite a problem for people with diabetes.
My late sister used to have her shoes specially made to ensure there was no injury to her feet.
I hope she makes a good recovery from her op.
Congratulations to your daughter - she's obviously tried hard to improve.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
It runs in my family, one of the many reasons why I need to lose some more weight!
It's not always weight related, the husband of a friend has it and he is very slim.
Always a good idea to keep an eye on diet though (says she who lives on mainly processed food!:rolleyes:)
It's surprising how Diabetes 2 can be reversed through diet.

Last edited:

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
A quick good evening from me as it's way past my bedtime.
We have a very wet and extremely windy few days ahead of us in the UK, so no paragliding for me ;)
Anyway glad to see you are all OK and I'll be popping in tomorrow.
Nos Da and have a good Thursday!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Ditto! Would imp work better? Or what do we call those naughty sprites? :D
According to the Chinese Zodiac, all of Loki's offspring were born during the Year of the Dragon. Specifically, the Water Dragon. Pixie is definitely a water sprite, and Dragon is definitely a water dragon.

Loki, the original and only authentic resident pastel tortie, was born during the Year of the Rabbit... which seems appropriate given her six offspring the following year.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
They don't normally - I was just thinking of building a compost bin using the old vhs tapes, but it could cause more problems than it's worth in the long run. So back to the drawing board!
Depending on how many VHS tapes you have, maybe you could let some kids build an indoor fort out of them. They do look a little bit like bricks... :rolleyes:

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Ok now.
Had a few weeks that were just crazy. It's always amazing how things don't go as planned.
Had to fly down to my parents in Texas after my mom got put in the hospital. She had developed septicemia and had to have two of her toes amputated. This happened because she stubbed her toe, broke it in three places, and is a diabetic and didn't know it.
Clunker has been living in bliss in his new enclosure. He has even become more tolerant of hubby!
We had the yearly conference with my daughter's school and she has been doing excellent (last year she fell way behind on her work because she was being lazy)
Hubby had decided to go for the job in Montana but the company said they were trying to fill a couple more positions before they gave a date for him to start... And now we haven't heard back from them. I think hubby should call them to see what's going on, but he feels like that would make him a nag.
I missed the calendar competition! Ugh, that was while I was in Texas. Oh well- I'll just wait till next year.

How is everyone else doing? Tell me all about it[emoji217]
Wow, that's a lot to go through, especially in such a compressed time frame!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Diabetes seems to creep up on people, too. As of a couple years or so ago, I'm the only one in my immediate family who hasn't been diagnosed with it.

Regarding the job in Montana, did they give him an offer in writing? Has your husband declined any other offers? Let me know if I should put on my HR hat. It's buried somewhere in my skill set, but I can dust it off, if needed. ;)