COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Calendars... https://wtop.com/national/2018/11/f...r-booze-cheese/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

NEW YORK (AP) — Advent calendars are hitting the bottle.

The cardboard calendars, typically filled with chocolates, are now being stuffed with cans of beer and bottles of wine. Others have chunks of cheese behind each door.

They’re meant to appeal to nostalgic adults who want to count the days till Christmas with something other than sweets. They’re sold for a limited time, get major social media buzz and tend to sell out quickly.

Many are available in the United States for the first time this year after gaining popularity during the past few holiday seasons in Europe. German grocer Aldi, for instance, says it brought its wine advent calendar to its U.S. stores after selling it in the United Kingdom last year. It also introduced a new cheese one.

Cheese n Wine = CDR
We have had alcoholic advent calendars over here for a long time. I think the Scotch whisky one was the first soon to be followed by Gin, beers, etc.

This year, I have seen cheese, cosmetics... and even Yankee Candles!

When I was a kid you didn't get chocolate, just a picture :D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Man, you guys chatted a lot over night!! Well, my night!

I don’t really have a recipe for the chicken tortilla soup but the basics are...

Chicken broth
Sautéed onion and garlic
A can of crushed tomatoes
Some rice
Can of black beans
Corn
Any season to taste like cumin and red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
Shredded chicken

For garnish I use sour cream, cilantro, cubed avocado, jack cheese or any shredded cheese and tortilla strips.
It literally takes minutes to put together and simmer.

Sometimes I use a can of refried beans.

I eat it with corn bread or French banquette toasted.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Man, you guys chatted a lot over night!! Well, my night
There's your problem. Your night is our day and I woke up early to make matters worse :D

I don’t really have a recipe for the chicken tortilla soup but the basics are...

Chicken broth
Sautéed onion and garlic
Some rice
Can of black beans
Corn
Shredded chicken

For garnish I use sour cream, cilantro, cubed avocado, jack cheese or any shredded cheese and tortilla strips.

Ta! :)

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Calendars... https://wtop.com/national/2018/11/f...r-booze-cheese/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

NEW YORK (AP) — Advent calendars are hitting the bottle.

The cardboard calendars, typically filled with chocolates, are now being stuffed with cans of beer and bottles of wine. Others have chunks of cheese behind each door.

They’re meant to appeal to nostalgic adults who want to count the days till Christmas with something other than sweets. They’re sold for a limited time, get major social media buzz and tend to sell out quickly.

Many are available in the United States for the first time this year after gaining popularity during the past few holiday seasons in Europe. German grocer Aldi, for instance, says it brought its wine advent calendar to its U.S. stores after selling it in the United Kingdom last year. It also introduced a new cheese one.

Cheese n Wine = CDR

Found it! Husband’s advent calendar from last year:

IMG_9964.jpg

That’s when I learned I’m not a whiskey person.

I made one for daughter too. But not with whiskey:

IMG_8579.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
That isn't a bad thing. There's something about having to articulate a thought, either verbally or in writing, that pulls the thought together in a way that makes sense. I'm only half way through my coffee this morning, so I hope I'M making sense...
It makes sense.. my art conversations tend to sound more like "where did I put my eraser!" Or " darn it pencil! Get back here!" Though.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I always find it curious that you hold thumbs while we in Britain cross our fingers? What's done in other countries, roomies?

I mostly think in English. But if I kick myself hard into the Russian mode... we hold thumbs to show you’ve done well... We cross fingers if we’re lying but don’t want the Powers Above to punish us (and I don’t mean FSB)... We might be holding fists — in case you need extra help getting there... But overall I forgot. Too many years of international living.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
We have had alcoholic advent calendars over here for a long time. I think the Scotch whisky one was the first soon to be followed by Gin, beers, etc.

This year, I have seen cheese, cosmetics... and even Yankee Candles!

When I was a kid you didn't get chocolate, just a picture :D

The first advent calendars I saw were in Germany, and I loved them. Especially the Kinder Surprise ones (I have a collection of figurines on and off since the 1990s). The animal shelter here was recently asking for donations for their animals’ advent calendars...

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Man, you guys chatted a lot over night!! Well, my night!

Chicken broth
Sautéed onion and garlic
Some rice
Can of black beans
Corn
Shredded chicken

Sorry. :oops: Business as usual in the CDR ;)

Yum!