COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I get to go watch daughter in a Christmas concert tonight. I look forward to watching her but not to sitting beside a bunch of strangers[emoji15] All Alone[emoji15] they might bump me[emoji15] or even try to have a random conversation with me during one the interludes[emoji33]
So how was it?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I think there may be an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest collection of rubber bands. Or some otherwise unknown town may have a giant ball of elastic bands as its claim to fame? Or is that just urban legend?

Maybe someone in the UK can get people to collect and send in elastic bands... Make a collection of them for environmental awareness... Or tie it to a charity or other good cause. Better yet, get the Royal Mail to "buy back" the elastic bands to reuse, and donate the proceeds to charity.
Almost snap.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Small talk:

Do you like tortoises?

Do you like dragons?

Do you think a small dragon sitting on top of a large tortoise would make an interesting piece of artwork?

Would you believe that Amazon sent me the wrong item? I was waiting for this one color to come in so I could finish this project...

Do you know how many scutes are on a Sulcata tortoise?

What do I think of the weather? Let me tell you what my tortoise thinks of this weather!

That way...
You'd either make friends, or they'd stop making small talk... ;)

And if you get bumped into, channel your inner Sulcata! :p
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
[emoji33] on both counts.

I called my own number once. Couldn’t see my phone anywhere, so I thought if I give myself a ring and it buzzes, then I’ll be able to find it. I was surprised when my number was busy. Then it hit me: I couldn’t see it because it was in my hand and then next to my ear the whole time. I was quite jet lagged then. [emoji85][emoji23]
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] I have done that with my glasses but I was already wearing them.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
PINSTRIPE was less cooperative.
View attachment 258960
He was heading back to his little resin coconut hide so fast, that was the only picture I could get. He didn't even linger in the entrance to the hide long enough for a Micro Mud turtle bum shot!
Lol. They are really so cute.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ever since Bold heard about Jacques' celebrity status, being on a calendar page and having her very own thread on the forum... He's been dropping hints. :rolleyes:

He wants me to ask @Moozillion how old Jacques was when she got her own thread. Bold wants to know when he'll be old enough or big enough for his own thread, too.
I think he deserves his own thread already.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ok CDR team - Day 6 of our Caravan-Serai Recipe Feast. This salad looks pretty scrumptious...but seems to utilize a ton of ingredients.

Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad

View attachment 258983

The pumpkin is roasted with red onion, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds and maple, its delicious and you could totally eat it like that as a side dish.

The quinoa is dressed with lots of herbs and spices; mint, coriander, sumac, lemon and its all topped with pomegranates, pepitas and hazelnuts – whats not to love…

Ingredients
For the roasted pumpkin
1/4 medium kent pumpkin, or your pumpkin of choice
1 red onion, cut in to small wedges
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp maple syrup

For the salad
1/2 cup quinoa
1 big handful mint
1 big handful coriander
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced, or to taste
1 tsp sumac

To garnish
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp dry roasted pepitas
1 tbsp dry roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped

Instructions
Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F). Cut pumpkin into chunks and place on a lined baking tray with the onion Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your pumpkin chunks. Once cooked remove and set aside.

Wash the quinoa and add to a small saucepan with 3/4 cup of water. Cover and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn the heat to as low as possible and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Once cooked fluff with a fork and add to a large bowl. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.

Finely chop the mint and coriander add to the quinoa along with the olive oil, lemon juice, sumac and salt and pepper. Add the pumpkin and toss gently. Add to a serving plate.

Garnish with pepitas, pomegranates and hazelnuts. Serve.

Recipe Notes
To dry roast the pepitas and hazelnuts. Add separately to a frying and cook over medium heat until golden. Add the hazelnuts to a tea towel and rub with your hands to remove most of the skins. Then roughly chop.

Recipe & photo courtesy of http://littlebigh.com/roasted-pumpkin-quinoa-salad/
That is really scrumptious.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Evening All

A nice cool, overcast day, and no rain!

Decided to get a fire going in our pit and burn some of the chopped wood I seem to accumulate.

Enjoy our fire, pull up a chair, half a glass or two of your favorite drink

View attachment 258991
Oh that is an awesome fire.