COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Do you think it might be useful or helpful to start a thread on English Language topics, in the Everything Else section of the TFO? What do you think?

I'm thinking maybe it would give members, regardless if their proficiency with English, someplace to ask questions and sort out what words to use... or even to help figure out what word someone was intending to use when they posted a message.

Especially with voice-to-text applications and chronic autocorrect frustrations (that's putting it mildly)... Then there's also different flavors (flavours) of English, depending on where you live or where you learned the language. Different words have different meanings, spellings, pronunciations, etc.

We've had some interesting conversations here in the CDR about sayings and idioms, or traditions like crossing thumbs and crossing fingers.

Do you think a thread for that would be a good thing? What would be a good title for it?
It would definitely be a fun one. [emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I think you can use leather to “shape yourself” LMAO... I certainly am not brave enough to try it but I would be most interested in your results should you decide to play fashion model!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. It might start a new trend for us all[emoji6]
I am with Linda on this one. I am also the wrong shape for leather. Besides my youngest would not be happy with me.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Other things that get lost in translation between different English speakers...

Counting to 2 on your fingers. Americans are used to making a V with the forefinger (pointer or index finger) and middle fingers, but it's as offensive and jarring in the UK as it would be for someone in the U.S. to count to 1 using only their middle finger.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a number of countries start counting with 1 being the thumb, and 2 is the thumb and forefinger (pointer or index finger).
We would use the finger next to the thumb to show one if we were using body language. But use the thumb if we were counting and using our fingers to count. We would also use the V if we were indicating the number two. [emoji3]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The one that crossed my mind the other day was purse. Yvonne mentioned her purse.

Here in the UK a purse is what you put your loose change in. It may also accommodate bank notes and cards, but it will always have a section for coins.

A wallet is a holder for bank notes (Again it may accommodate bank cards)

Typically men use wallets and have their coins loose in their trouser pockets.

We ladies don’t get proper pockets (or any at all) in our clothes so use a purse and put that in ... a bag - eg handbag, shoulder bag
For us a purse is and can be both. Only men have wallets. But we also use the term " bag".

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Now here in the UK, pants are underwear. Jeans are a form of trousers.

I have not considered leather underwear, nor have I considered leather trousers. I am really too old and the wrong shape to carry off leather trousers successfully :D
Women wear panties and men underwear. Women and men wear pants and or trousers. Jeans are just jeans. Pants and trousers normally indicate nicer pants/trousers which are not jeans.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
In Russian culture as I know it, index is 1, index and middle is 2; thumb only comes in as 5. That’s when you show the numbers by unfolding the fingers. When you count for yourself, you fold them starting with the thumb.
You said it much better than I did. We do the same.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Loo - that's another one. In the UK another word for the toilet or WC.

What is it with Americans and Rest Rooms? Or worse still Comfort Station? Is the word for the thing you sit on to pee or poop rude?
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] When I worked as a waitress way back when I had one customer refer to it as a library.