COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Oh, and telling time! When I lived in the UK, I learned to ask for appointment times in 24 hour times. That way I never had to remember whether "half three" meant 3:30 or 4:30. Whichever way it is in the UK, I think it may be the opposite in Germany...?
Here in English it is 3.30 but for Afrikaans it is half 4.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Maybe we can do the wine and cheese tasting (or reception?) at an art gallery where @Bambam1989 has her artwork on display. Maybe @Maro2Bear can have some of his carvings on display, too. What else can we add in there? Besides a potato cannon demonstration at the firing range... ;)
Photography.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning all. The rain has been replaced by wind. It's very draughty out. We are off to London to see something about Saxons at the British Library (JoesDad sprung that one on me so I will tell you more when I find out ) and then over to the Emirates Stadium to watch Arsenal v Huddersfield. In theory Son is joining us at the football, but he had his office Christmas party last night so I don't know what state he's in

Day 8 from my iTunes Christmas playlist has brought out Bing Crosby and David Bowie with Little Drummer Boy
I liked that one.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sjoe. Finally all caught up. Lots of entertaining and interesting posts. I should disappear more often. [emoji23]

Thursdays, Fridays and today's jokes:

15. What do you call a blind reindeer?

I have no eye deer.

16. What do you call an obnoxious reindeer?

Rude-olph.

17. How is Christmas exactly like your job?

You do all the work and some fat guy in a suit gets all the credit.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Happy Saturday One n All

Took some scrolling to get caught up, looks like @CarolM was busy :)

Cold start to our day, pretty much entire region below freezing - but, the big storm that started in California, drenched Texas, and is moving East, will miss us to the South. No snow here.

View attachment 259079
Lol. Glad no snow yet for you guys. Yip there was so much catching to be done. I loved it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks even COLDER in this room in Centigrade

View attachment 259080
It's been very mild here this fall. There was only one night so far that produced a bit of frost on the roof, but it didn't reach the ground. But it's very foggy in the mornings. I haven't let the tortoises out of their sheds until late afternoon for a couple weeks now. As long as the sun is shining, I let them out no matter how cold it is.

Morning everyone. Well, off to rescue another tort today, 3 hour drive one way, not to bad.
What's being rescued, Cheryl? I make people bring their turtles and tortoises to me. I never go get them.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Cold start to our day, pretty much entire region below freezing - but, the big storm that started in California, drenched Texas, and is moving East, will miss us to the South. No snow here.

View attachment 259079
We're in for more rain in northern Florida later this weekend. Just as the last of the standing water was disappearing, too. :(

Last edited:

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
It was a salcata posted on here, in the salcata section. A newer person, can not keep it because they lost there house and wanted to make sure the tort was taken care of. After seeing how he is raised, I might tell them if they get another place, they can have him back. But, I want to see first. She didn’t have transportation to bring his enclosure so I told her I would come pick him up. Just trying to help some.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Too much information.
Back when I worked for an emergency management agency, one of my positions dealt with planning and exercises at nuclear plants. Three Mile Island is probably still the most famous (infamous) in the U.S., even though the incident in all honesty and fairness wasn't a big deal.

So, for several years now, when someone in conversation mentions too much personal information, my response has often been, "TMI doesn't always stand for Three Mile Island." It's also a good reminder to people who tend to speak in acronyms that they should define those acronyms in conversation, as well as in writing.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
It was a salcata posted on here, in the salcata section. A newer person, can not keep it because they lost there house and wanted to make sure the tort was taken care of. After seeing how he is raised, I might tell them if they get another place, they can have him back. But, I want to see first. She didn’t have transportation to bring his enclosure so I told her I would come pick him up. Just trying to help some.
I'm so glad to hear that, and so glad you're doing it. I hope they've done a great job so far, so maybe the person and tortoise can be reunited in the future.