COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Day 7 - A Very Tasty Lebanese Fish Recipe that tastes better than it Looks in the Pix
S.gif
S.gif

Today's dish is Samkeh Harra, a tasty recipe with baked fish in a spicy tahini sauce, and it goes well with sides of French fries, Hummus and Tabbouli salad. Enjoy!

Lebanese Spicy Tahini Fish – Samke Harra

3717DA3A-49CE-40C0-B0A8-B98A6E8FFD34.jpeg

Ingredients (5-6 servings)
  • 4 lbs of fresh Red Snapper, filets or whole scaled
  • 17 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup of Tahini paste
  • 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
  • 1 cup of raw pine nuts
  • 1/2 bunch green Italian Parsley (finely chopped for garnish)
  • 1.5 cups Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
  • 4 cups of water
  • 1-2 tablespoons of salt (to taste)
  • 5-6 tablespoons of ground coriander
  • Olive Oil

Preparation Method
  • (optional) Rub fish with white vinegar and salt then rinse with cold water in order to tame down any smell.
  • If using whole scaled fish, cut slits in it
  • Rub fish with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle some lemon juice on it. If you’re cooking a whole scaled fish, then insert lemon slices inside the fish for flavoring.
  • Place fish on olive oil-greased cooking tray and bake at 300 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
  • In a small pan, mix 1 cup of pine nuts with 1-2 tablespoon of olive oil and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Be careful as they can burn very fast.
  • Take half of the pine nuts and grind them with a mortar and pestle and keep the remaining ones for garnishing.
  • Crush or mince the garlic then add to a pot with 1.5 cups of lemon juice, the Tahini paste, water, salt, coriander and chilli pepper.
  • Heat on stove to medium/high, stirring constantly (very important so they don’t stick or burn). The sauce should have a rather liquid consistency, and should have a nice balance of Tahini, garlic and lemony flavors. If the sauce is too thick, add a cup or 2 of water and a bit more of lemon juice.
  • Bring the sauce to a boil while keeping on stirring non-stop and then lower heat, add the smashed pine nuts then keep on cooking on low heat and stirring until you reach about 20 minutes of total cooking time for the sauce.
  • Once the fish is baked, lay it out on a serving platter that is at least 1 inch deep, pour the cooked tahini sauce on top of the fish, garnish with finely chopped parsley and browned pine nuts, serve hot with pita bread and and a side of Hummus and Tabbouli Salad and enjoy.
Serving and Tips

Sandwich: If you’d like to make Samke Harra into a sandwich, add the fish + Tahini sauce along the diameter of a pita bread, add lettuce and tomatoes, roll and enjoy.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
No ouch. The guy who hired me and a health physicist into those two positions once said that one of his proudest achievements, that he hired subordinates smarter than he was. And he's extremely intelligent, himself! :D

Nagh...the “ouch” is for the “glowing” remark from @Kristoff

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It was a salcata posted on here, in the salcata section. A newer person, can not keep it because they lost there house and wanted to make sure the tort was taken care of. After seeing how he is raised, I might tell them if they get another place, they can have him back. But, I want to see first. She didn’t have transportation to bring his enclosure so I told her I would come pick him up. Just trying to help some.
That is so sweet of you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It's a foggy day schedule, so I fed everyone in their sheds and had to leave their doors closed.

The desert tortoise babies have eaten, now they're piled up under what they think is the sun:

View attachment 259103
The leopard babies have eaten and they've all headed for the hills:
View attachment 259104
This is inside their cave. You can barely see Leonard in there:
View attachment 259105
The food tub and baby bowl:
View attachment 259106
The painted turtle with the abscess that has to live indoors until I fix his abscess:
View attachment 259107
Several box turtles that have to be in for various reasons:
View attachment 259108
When I open my back door to go outside, this is my view directly opposite the door. Tony the Tiger, a feral tom cat that is vicious. I'm pretty much afraid of him, but I feel safe offering him food through the lattice barrier:
View attachment 259109
Charlie getting his morning treat:
View attachment 259110
The car port that is no longer a 'car' port, but rather, a tort port:
View attachment 259111
Baby desert tortoises on the tort port, various ages from two years to one year:
View attachment 259112
This is where my russian group is brumating. The plastic is because the tort port roof leaks:
View attachment 259113
Moving past the greenhouse, going to the leopards, I stop to turn off the heater;
View attachment 259114
Little orange tree in the leopard yard. They still have a bit of green on them, but they'll be ready soon:
View attachment 259115
Inside the SA leopard shed are two tort tables on the walls:
View attachment 259116
This is Lil' Kim, a rescue from Kim in So Cal. She rescued him from poor conditions a couple years ago:
View attachment 259117
A stunted SA leopard from SoCal is in the other tort table:
View attachment 259118
Spencer, waiting patiently for her morning snack outside the Manouria shed:
View attachment 259119
In the tort table on a wall in the Manouria shed are two yearling Manouria:
View attachment 259120
The YFs can't go outside because it's too cold, so I have to feed them in their shed:
View attachment 259121

View attachment 259122
The babcocks also have to stay indoors until the sun comes out. The little male on the left is in tort jail because he's too randy to be with the others. But he goes outside when the sun shines:
View attachment 259123
I had a bit of food left over, so Dudley gets a snack. He says it's never too cold or too foggy for him:
View attachment 259124
And now, the bane of my existence - LEAVES!!!
View attachment 259125
Misty thinks piles of leaves is great fun. You can't tell from the picture, but she was running around like a crazy person, then she'd pounce on a pile of leaves with her two front feet and take off running again:
View attachment 259126
All piled up and ready to distribute:
View attachment 259127
I pick them up and take them to the box turtle yard:
View attachment 259128
From left to right, the Floridas, the luteolas and the three toes:
View attachment 259129
The easterns (I see the sun is starting to peek out a bit, so in a half hour or so I'll open all the shed doors:
View attachment 259130
Oh Wow. So very impressive. Thank you for sharing with us. That os so much work. I wonder how you find the time to be on here.