COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
The thing to tell her is that the gulf stream is constantly shifting. It isn't static. If it moves slightly north or south the weather can change suddenly and radically. We're experts in it over here. Our weather is completely unpredictable over longer periods. Frequently they can't be accurate over more than a couple of days. Our weather presenters often put the gulf stream course on the weather maps to show why they're having to guess :D
The problem with Gulf Stream is that the British Isles are on its way to Denmark. Otherwise we would have been a tropical paradise... :rolleyes:;):D:D

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
@Yvonne G posted:

Second thing is at the intermission when Alex talks to each contestant he usually mentions something to get them to relate a story. 99% of the time the contestant begins his or her story with "so". . . So, my mom and I were watching Jeopardy. . .So I was on a round the world trip. . . So my teacher asked for volunteers. . . What's with SO? Can't people relate a story without beginning with 'so'?

SO is another word to buy time, but it's more than that. It's turned into a verbal cue that says, "Start paying attention here." It's sharper to the ears than WELL, which is one the other choices to start the story.

I think the SO predicament stems from the "relaxation" of certain accepted rules of English that many of us (Yvonne's generation through mine) grew up learning.

Some of the rules as we learned them:
1. You have to use complete sentences. A complete sentence must have an independent clause complete with subject and predicate (verb part of the sentence).
2. If you list more than two items in a sentence, there's supposed to be a comma after the AND, in front of the last item. This is sometimes referred to as the "Oxford comma."
3. If the punctuation mark has a comma at the bottom, you put one space after it. If the punctuation mark has a period at the bottom, you put two spaces after it. [I STILL haven't forgiven Microsoft for futzing this one up.] There are exceptions for things like quotes, parentheses, and abbreviations, of course.

The SO issue Yvonne mentioned goes back to number 1.

More to follow...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
@Yvonne G posted:

Second thing is at the intermission when Alex talks to each contestant he usually mentions something to get them to relate a story. 99% of the time the contestant begins his or her story with "so". . . So, my mom and I were watching Jeopardy. . .So I was on a round the world trip. . . So my teacher asked for volunteers. . . What's with SO? Can't people relate a story without beginning with 'so'?

SO is another word to buy time, but it's more than that. It's turned into a verbal cue that says, "Start paying attention here." It's sharper to the ears than WELL, which is one the other choices to start the story.

I think the SO predicament stems from the "relaxation" of certain accepted rules of English that many of us (Yvonne's generation through mine) grew up learning.

Some of the rules as we learned them:
1. You have to use complete sentences. A complete sentence must have an independent clause complete with subject and predicate (verb part of the sentence).
2. If you list more than two items in a sentence, there's supposed to be a comma after the AND, in front of the last item. This is sometimes referred to as the "Oxford comma."
3. If the punctuation mark has a comma at the bottom, you put one space after it. If the punctuation mark has a period at the bottom, you put two spaces after it. [I STILL haven't forgiven Microsoft for futzing this one up.] There are exceptions for things like quotes, parentheses, and abbreviations, of course.

The SO issue Yvonne mentioned goes back to number 1.

More to follow...
Hmm. Going back many years to when I was at school.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I believe the SO at the beginning of a sentence rankles @Yvonne G for some of the same reasons we were taught that sentences should not begin with BECAUSE, or with conjunctions like BUT, OR, or AND. The underlying concept is that these words are supposed to string together and connect pieces of a sentence. To connect pieces of a sentence, you must have a piece of a sentence on each side of the word connecting them.

Again, accepted and actual usage of language continues to change and evolve. Many "rules" have been relaxed (or have fallen by the wayside). However, for those of us who had such rules drilled into us at an early age, the inconsistencies and "violations" still ruffle our feathers at times.

I have been trying to make peace with the SO at the beginning of a sentence by declaring it to be an interjection. ;)

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I'm looking forward to when the orchids can go back outside on the front porch.
This isn't the best picture, but the spray of pinkish flowers on the left side belongs to Rosy Sunset 'F' -- I didn't name her, but she's been a reliable bloomer for years.
wp_ss_20181219_0001.png
The purple flower spike that you see in the background, near the top of the picture, belongs to a Vanda type orchid. It had been working on a bloom stalk when we had to bring it in. Sadly, it didn't like the change, and the blooms collapsed before they opened. This would have been the first time one of our vanda types bloomed for us.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I'm looking forward to when the orchids can go back outside on the front porch.
This isn't the best picture, but the spray of pinkish flowers on the left side belongs to Rosy Sunset 'F' -- I didn't name her, but she's been a reliable bloomer for years.
View attachment 259960
The purple flower spike that you see in the background, near the top of the picture, belongs to a Vanda type orchid. It had been working on a bloom stalk when we had to bring it in. Sadly, it didn't like the change, and the blooms collapsed before they opened. This would have been the first time one of our vanda types bloomed for us.
[emoji26] [emoji26]