COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I’m not good at remembering to take photos. I’m always to busy hosting! I only got these few because I was thinking of my CDR friends [emoji16]...
It’s got to the point where JoesDad says “Do you need to take a photo of this for your tortoise friends?” [emoji23]

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I won’t subscribe so I didn’t look at the packages. I can view live anytime for free and I can use the SD card for storage so there’s really no need. But this one does work good.
But what is the monthly subscription for then if it's not to have the live view? If you really do can get the live view for free that's something I would be very interested in buying myself.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
No. We don't speak fluent sign language. We write notes back and forth and play a bad game of charades. What's really interesting is...a lot of families that I know with a deaf family member don't speak sign either. I actually feel that in some ways. Sign language keeps a deaf person isolated even more because most people don't speak sign.
Yes but I think if only one person around do speak signs it can open the deaf's person world a lot, in my class there was a mute student of about my age and there was a translator who communicated all the teacher was saying to him at the exact time and I felt this was truly a beautiful adaptation to him. He could learn all the same thing we did, when he had a question he did the sign with the translator who asked vocally the question to the teacher, it worked great, and this was a robotisation class in cégep not primary school.

Bee62

Germany
Fahren is the German verb “to travel” ... a much giggled about, but easily remembered bit of school German :D

(I) Ich fahre
(you familiar) Du fahrst (Class starts to giggle)
(he/she/it) Er/sie/es fahrt (Class dissolves into laughter)
(We) Wir farhren...

It was over 40 years ago and I remember it like yesterday [emoji23]
Not bad Linda, but not quite right:
Ich fahre
Du fährst
Er / Sie / Es fahren
Wir fahren

That´s the right spelling.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ha. As long as it rains, you are good. I use a funnel lined with aquarium floss to strain the water of any particulates. Fill up a few gallon jugs, warm, then fill the aquarium. (Ps. I never test, all fishies are fine)
Every home needs a rainbarrel.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They are handsome boys! And that Poor baby!! Boys are so rough! He looks like he’s not even bothered by it though. [emoji6]
Thanks, I guess he cried when given the numbing shot but that would be expected. He is also afraid of the water so no big deal he couldn't swim. While they were here he never complained about his foot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes but I think if only one person around do speak signs it can open the deaf's person world a lot, in my class there was a mute student of about my age and there was a translator who communicated all the teacher was saying to him at the exact time and I felt this was truly a beautiful adaptation to him. He could learn all the same thing we did, when he had a question he did the sign with the translator who asked vocally the question to the teacher, it worked great, and this was a robotisation class in cégep not primary school.
We have several deaf children in school who have signers - someone employed to interpret lessons for them using sign language. I can use a limited amount of British Sign Language and a system called Makaton. At Christmas we always include a song which all the children and staff learn sign language for - the children are far better than the teachers!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, I guess he cried when given the numbing shot but that would be expected. He is also afraid of the water so no big deal he couldn't swim. While they were here he never complained about his foot.
Aw - brave boy! I bet it will hurt there when he wears shoes.
Kids are so resilient aren't they?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
But what is the monthly subscription for then if it's not to have the live view? If you really do can get the live view for free that's something I would be very interested in buying myself.

It’s for the storage of photos or videos... I guess if you needed to go back and look at something that happened yesterday, you could with subscription... you could do that with the SD card as well but right now, I have neither and I still love it. I can only look live or screen shot my live view for photos though. About an hour ago, I’d had Toretto in the tub for his soak and poo, then I took him outside and put him down in the yard. I knew a storm was coming so I was debating on putting him in his box but he headed straight for his favorite patch of grass to graze... it was already raining lightly at this point but I decided to let him eat and I’d check on him in a bit. I came in and did some other chores and I was just about to go check on him when I got an alert on my phone that was a motion detection from my camera. So I opened up the app to see Toretto had already put himself back in the box. Now I don’t have to go back out in the rain:) IMG_1592.jpg

The first one I bought that didn’t work well was a Geeni by merkury

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Just think if ALL homes, buildings, etc, were set up from the start with rain barrels or large cisterns and solar panels.!
That would be great! Onl
It’s for the storage of photos or videos... I guess if you needed to go back and look at something that happened yesterday, you could with subscription... you could do that with the SD card as well but right now, I have neither and I still love it. I can only look live or screen shot my live view for photos though. About an hour ago, I’d had Toretto in the tub for his soak and poo, then I took him outside and put him down in the yard. I knew a storm was coming so I was debating on putting him in his box but he headed straight for his favorite patch of grass to graze... it was already raining lightly at this point but I decided to let him eat and I’d check on him in a bit. I came in and did some other chores and I was just about to go check on him when I got an alert on my phone that was a motion detection from my camera. So I opened up the app to see Toretto had already put himself back in the box. Now I don’t have to go back out in the rain:) View attachment 269207

Oh wow that's exectly what I need, all I want is to be able to see the live view! I know nest is also a popular brand, I wonder if their subscription model is the same...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. So true for most deaf people. They are intelligent but deaf. However, my brother is also developmentally disabled but...he is able to communicate with anyone in his own way. Even his cat knows what he's saying. I love this subject. Because of growing up with my brother, I've been able to talk with people that don't speak my language. Yet we get each other. It's amazing.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It’s for the storage of photos or videos... I guess if you needed to go back and look at something that happened yesterday, you could with subscription... you could do that with the SD card as well but right now, I have neither and I still love it. I can only look live or screen shot my live view for photos though. About an hour ago, I’d had Toretto in the tub for his soak and poo, then I took him outside and put him down in the yard. I knew a storm was coming so I was debating on putting him in his box but he headed straight for his favorite patch of grass to graze... it was already raining lightly at this point but I decided to let him eat and I’d check on him in a bit. I came in and did some other chores and I was just about to go check on him when I got an alert on my phone that was a motion detection from my camera. So I opened up the app to see Toretto had already put himself back in the box. Now I don’t have to go back out in the rain:) View attachment 269207

I bought a Momentum cam at Walmart. 50 dollars. You can take pics for free. Video is like 4 bucks a month or you can use a SD card.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes. So true for most deaf people. They are intelligent but deaf. However, my brother is also developmentally disabled but...he is able to communicate with anyone in his own way. Even his cat knows what he's saying. I love this subject. Because of growing up with my brother, I've been able to talk with people that don't speak my language. Yet we get each other. It's amazing.
Yes that's fantastic, it's like you created you own language that only you and your brother can understand!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ogh..on languages.. Lets see. Studied German and Russian in high school. When I went to college, I majored in Russian and Biology. Eventually went on to actual work, I was able to pretty much utilize my Ruusian language skills for a long time.

I know enough Russian to pretty much get by if dropped off in Murmansk or Vladikavkaz.

Lived and traveled extensively in the “Middle East” and studied some Arabic. Wifey is fluent/native Arabic speaker, so I understand and speak enough Arabic to be dangerous.