COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Something amazing happened to me today! I accidentally found my first baby toad of this year. I hope I didn't scare him have to death. He was already in Saphire's outdoor enclosure and I always find them in the frontyard. Then I move them to the enclosure. It looks like they may have learned about a safe haven over the years. But how could a 2 inch toad know that.0712191238b.jpg

DE42

Something amazing happened to me today! I accidentally found my first baby toad of this year. I hope I didn't scare him have to death. He was already in Saphire's outdoor enclosure and I always find them in the frontyard. Then I move them to the enclosure. It looks like they may have learned about a safe haven over the years. But how could a 2 inch toad know that.View attachment 276409
They are awesome. I have one living under a cinderblock next to the porch.

DE42

Did a water change at 2:00am last night. Also cleaned the filter and changed the driftwood a little. Need to get black ducktape Because the red I used to move the vines dose not look good to me.
Can you see all the ghost shrimp? I have 8 in there right now lol20190712_140020.jpg20190712_140027.jpg20190712_140032.jpg20190712_140036.jpg20190712_140046.jpg20190712_140049.jpg20190712_140101.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They are awesome. I have one living under a cinderblock next to the porch.
I usually put them in that enclosure just to keep them safe for awhile because of ferrel and domestic cats. The enclosure is sitting on a brick deck built in the early 50's. Once they figure out how to get out It's fine with me. The only way out or in is under the enclosure. Weeds and dirt grow and cover the bricks eventually so the baby probably wasn't born there unless I'm mistaken about how deep they need to be. This has been a really fun year for me. Maybe I'm getting somewhere with helping the toads.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's sometimes called the cactus pear. It's the red, fleshy seed pod after blooming. Edible and quite tasty.
I don't think I've ever seen one...but I'll be looking. Our city doesn't carry the Hispanic foods anymore in the grocery stores though. I checked everyone of them. I had to order my spineless prickly pear online.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think I've ever seen one...but I'll be looking. Our city doesn't carry the Hispanic foods anymore in the grocery stores though. I checked everyone of them. I had to order my spineless prickly pear online.
990.750.jpg

They have just as many glochids (stickers) as the plant itself, but once you're past that it's tasty. I can't remember ever seeing the tuna for sale in the stores

Do you have a Smart and Final in Lancaster? That's where I buy my cactus pads. They're already cleaned and easy to use.

DE42

990.750.jpg

They have just as many glochids (stickers) as the plant itself, but once you're past that it's tasty. I can't remember ever seeing the tuna for sale in the stores

Do you have a Smart and Final in Lancaster? That's where I buy my cactus pads. They're already cleaned and easy to use.
I want to eat that!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
990.750.jpg

And I did get to feed the cuckoo... every 20 minutes for about 6 hours. To be fair, I tried him on some mealworms and he started trying to feed himself with those :)

View attachment 276424
990.750.jpg

Ok something went on with my phone! Coocoo stuff I guess. I had a thought. What about artichokes? They do seem cactus like.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Did a water change at 2:00am last night. Also cleaned the filter and changed the driftwood a little. Need to get black ducktape Because the red I used to move the vines dose not look good to me.
Can you see all the ghost shrimp? I have 8 in there right now lolView attachment 276412View attachment 276413View attachment 276414View attachment 276415View attachment 276416View attachment 276417View attachment 276418
He's really pretty. He has little diamonds at the end of his tail. Maybe you could add tape that looks like leaves. Then it wouldn't matter what color it is.