COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok something went on with my phone! Coocoo stuff I guess. I had a thought. What about artichokes? They do seem cactus like.

But....Artichokes are pretty expensive compared to cactus tuna...

But, Tort Table says yes -
  • Common Name: Globe Artichoke (Cardoon)
  • Latin Name: Cynara scolymus; Cynara cardunculus
  • Family Name: Asteraceae/Compositae
There are no known hazards with either the Globe Artichoke or its close relative, the Cardoon, and tortoises can safely eat all parts of the plant.

N.B. Do not confuse with Jerusalem Artichoke, which is closely related to the Sunflower.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Something amazing happened to me today! I accidentally found my first baby toad of this year. I hope I didn't scare him have to death. He was already in Saphire's outdoor enclosure and I always find them in the frontyard. Then I move them to the enclosure. It looks like they may have learned about a safe haven over the years. But how could a 2 inch toad know that.View attachment 276409
Amphibians seem to like your house Cathie:)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Amphibians seem to like your house Cathie:)
It'll be days before I get over this thrill...maybe more next year. I just hope I didn't scare him half to death. I wasn't expecting a baby toad to be in one of Saphire's terra cotta water dishes in the enclosure. I was dumping and cleaning it with fresh water and there he was. Poor little baby. I just wonder WHY is there always just one.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
But....Artichokes are pretty expensive compared to cactus tuna...

But, Tort Table says yes -
  • Common Name: Globe Artichoke (Cardoon)
  • Latin Name: Cynara scolymus; Cynara cardunculus
There are no known hazards with either the Globe Artichoke or its close relative, the Cardoon, and tortoises can safely eat all parts of the plant.

N.B. Do not confuse with Jerusalem Artichoke, which is closely related to the Sunflower.
It's not expensive if you have a little Horsefield. So is the Jerusalem artichokes not good. One artichoke can go a long way with my little guy.

Bee62

Germany
Something amazing happened to me today! I accidentally found my first baby toad of this year. I hope I didn't scare him have to death. He was already in Saphire's outdoor enclosure and I always find them in the frontyard. Then I move them to the enclosure. It looks like they may have learned about a safe haven over the years. But how could a 2 inch toad know that.View attachment 276409
Oh, such a cute thing !:<3: Sometimes I find such little toads in my garden-wilderness too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It's not expensive if you have a little Horsefield. So is the Jerusalem artichokes not good. One artichoke can go a long way with my little guy.

Jerusalem Artichoke
  • Common Name: Jerusalem Artichoke (Sunroot)
  • Latin Name: Helianthus tuberosus
As a member of the Sunflower family, this plant can quickly accumulate nitrates from the soil (especially if fed with artificial fertilisers). Nitrates are known to be toxic to cattle, so although the plant itself is safe, it is not one to offer to your tortoise on a regular basis. Although the tubers are regularly eaten by humans, the leaves and flowers are the only parts you should feed to your tortoise.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Jerusalem Artichoke
As a member of the Sunflower family, this plant can quickly accumulate nitrates from the soil (especially if fed with artificial fertilisers). Nitrates are known to be toxic to cattle, so although the plant itself is safe, it is not one to offer to your tortoise on a regular basis. Although the tubers are regularly eaten by humans, the leaves and flowers are the only parts you should feed to your tortoise.
Thanks a bunch. I've memorized the names for gp. It's possible that the kroger in our city will sometimes stock the better artichokes. One wouldn't break the bank for me to see if Saphire likes it as a mix in.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Jerusalem Artichoke
The word nitrates is really interesting lately for me. Considering I've just done my first aquarium...well