COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Goodmorning everyone, I am sitting here with my coffee (diet mountain dew).
Waiting for Opo to wake up. I enjoy watching his morning ritual and his yawning.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Back at you Ray n Opo.

Ive prepped Sullys breakfast - a pile of dandelion greens, some fresh Hibiscus flowers, corn husks, a cup of Mazuri, some grape leaves. She watches or listens for my activity and will mozzy out soon for brekkie.

Going to go mow some of the back garden and prep for a long weekend of kayaking. New location - New Adventure - New Island.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Saw some interesting crabs at the local fish shop today. I’ve only seen pics of them on the internet. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pics so I’ll grab one of the internet. They are called vampire crabs. I might create a colony when the red claw colony dies out. However they are more expensive

Attachments

• FD8D532A-FFE6-4BF9-A4DC-F28FE0C42B57.png
    FD8D532A-FFE6-4BF9-A4DC-F28FE0C42B57.png
    891.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 7D103705-2EE3-426B-9AE6-696C61FD6657.png
    7D103705-2EE3-426B-9AE6-696C61FD6657.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
This is where I got my Takoda from!View attachment 277589
If you've had Takoda for more than a couple weeks, he's probably in the clear. If Takoda hasn't been vaccinated yet, get that done ASAP.

I don't think animal shelters in Florida will release dogs or cats without making sure they have a current rabies vaccination. I think the cost of vaccination is incorporated into the adoption fee.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Yeah at this point if he had that would have shown up. Just thought it was crazy when I read that. Kinda makes since now though why they had not treated Takoda for the fleas or anything. :(
Depending on animal shelter conditions, it can be very difficult to keep the fleas under control... Every new animal brings in a brand new crop of fleas, and monthly flea prevention doses for all the animals are cost prohibitive.

Any out-going dog or cat should be getting vaccinated against rabies. That's a LEGAL issue (at least for pet owners to have their dogs and cats vaccinated for rabies).

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Saw some interesting crabs at the local fish shop today. I’ve only seen pics of them on the internet. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pics so I’ll grab one of the internet. They are called vampire crabs. I might create a colony when the red claw colony dies out. However they are more expensive

Wow - did u see the price tag? Talk about sticker shock. $$$£££€€€

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
What are the current methods of testing for animals and vaccinations for humans? I went through an incident as a child almost 60 years ago. Back then the animal died and the person had to undergo 21 shots in the abdomen. Looks like you rescued your beautiful little puppy in the knick of time.
At least in Florida, last I heard the procedure was to vaccinate the unvaccinated dog that did the biting and hold it for two weeks to make sure it didn't show symptoms, at which point it could be released back to its owner(s). That's only for domestic dogs, though. Any wolf-dog hybrid was considered a "wild" animal, put down, and sent off for testing.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I think there is a blood test to check but I don't know. I know my grandfather had to do the shots once back a long time ago.

Veterinarians in Florida get tested annually to make sure their immunity is still sufficient. Only when the level of antibodies in their blood drops below a certain level do they have to be revaccinated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning everyone. I have been bird feeding today.

Cute picture - a baby pied wagtail sheltering under a baby blackbird
IMG_0646.jpg

Drove home in sunshine, but the main toad was flooded and we had no water... water main burst [emoji849] I showered at the gym. Fortunately the water is back on now.

Meanwhile up north the weather is grim. Buxton, where Mum lives, is particularly badly affected. Whaley Bridge just down the valley has been evacuated as a reservoir dam is collapsing :( Fortunately mum’s flat is second floor so she is fine as long as she doesn’t want to go out.

Whaley Bridge dam collapse: Town evacuated over Toddbrook Reservoir fears
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Days out? That looks so good that would be lunch out :) or are you going on a outing today? I read Marks post and added the last question. The hazards of getting into a conversation and maybe not knowing the whole story.
Its getting hard for me to keep up with you all.:):):)
It's hard to keep up even if you read us yakking everyday. But the nice thing I've found about the CDR is...if you have a few moments to join the conversation( I doubt if I'm speaking out of line) We love it! I'm sure someone will help you catch up and be glad to.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Old Bog turtle found in Pennsylvania an old Bixie too.

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

First paragraph....
On land The Nature Conservancy acquired in 1989 near South Mountain to restore habitat needed by the diminutive bog turtle, surveys have found a 61-year-old turtle.

It’s the oldest bog turtle ever recorded in the wild, but it’s not the oldest known turtle in Pennsylvania.

An eastern box turtle thought to be about 72 years old surfaced again earlier this year on the same Dauphin County farm where a brother and sister first encountered it in 1967, more than a half-century ago.