COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all!
Update on the ducklings.... I got home yesterday to find that there was not much progress on any of the other 5 eggs..you could see where 1 had been trying really hard to “unzip”... I knew in my heart something was wrong so I was faced with the deadly decision to help or not. Now I had 1 healthy duckling in the incubator and 5 eggs with holes that were starting to turn brown 28 hours and counting.. I decidedthat the emergency eggstraction was necessary...
I got out my tools and helped each egg unzip . Rewrapped them in wet paper towels and placed them back in the incubator.. Removing the one duckling of course.. and I was SUCCESSFUL... skipping many nerve wracking details, I have all six healthy ducklings this morning!!! I’m not sure what went wrong, but the membranes were way to thick. I am certain that they would have all died... don’t know if I will do this again[emoji21]
View attachment 279081View attachment 279082
AaWWWW they are just so cute. And well done Mommy on making the right decision. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut, and yours steered you in the right direction.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks all for your warm welcoming!
Let's introduce myself here!
I'm Adrien, 28, I come from Castres in Tarn (we have a good rugby team), married with a Tunisian girl I met when I was expatriated in Tunisia for my last work, living in Toulouse and working in a big aircraft building company... ;)
I'm involved in French organizations for conservation and I was involved in Tunisia on the Testudo graeca nabeulensis conservation center.
Interested in african/madasgarian tortoises/turtles. I had more when I was living in France but had to give the majority to permitte me to go in Tunisia (lived there until September 2018). Then, I only have my Pelusios carinatus at home, Pelusios nanus very soon and Agrionemys horsfieldii in a outdoor enclosure on my parents garden. Hope I'll have some Kinixys erosa on the next year (looking for informations I will create my topic).

Nice to meet you Linda, in Uzès you can visit the "SOPTOM Tortues" which is a tortoises/turtles sanctuary owned by the Vice-President of the French Tortoise Federation (FFEPT in french) and a good friend of mine, tell me if you want more details. ;)
Hi Adrien! :tort::cool:

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
Of course, All are welcome.
Please pull up an armadillo and take a seat, Montgomery will be around shortly with some coffee or tea whichever one you prefer. If you want something stronger then please find the one legged Pirate who will be able to serve you the drink of your choice. Don't trust the Leprechaun as he will take you for a ride and deny any involvement if ever questioned.
I am Carol From Cape Town - South Africa
:p:p

You're so lucky to live in RSA, I really like Homopus, Chersobius, Chersina, Psammobates,... :oops:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternoon/morning all.
Monday is a bank holiday in the UK so it will be a nice long weekend for most people, and the weather is going to be hot and sunny!

Lola gave me a heart attack last night.
I went to put his lights out but he wasn't in his hide or anywhere in his room.
I thought he had stayed outside so I was out searching in the bushes with a torch for ages and was worried he would get too cold.
Eventually I gave up and came in, then I noticed him in a corner under a dining chair in my kitchen!
He must have sneaked in when I was cleaning his room and forgot to shut the kitchen door.
I was pretty relieved he wasn't out all night.

Hope everyone has a good day.
LOL, Naughty Naughty Lola.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternoonevening Alles. Ok, just back from a few hours of crabbing at one of the local spots where I also go kayaking during the week. We were using both chicken drum sticks and clams/mussels for bait - chicken won out. We caught enough for a nice crab cake dinner later this evening.

For those who don’t know - these are Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs. It’s prime season now while the waters are warm. They need to be Males and 5 and 1/4 inch long to be harvested.

View attachment 279106
Not Bad - Dinner Plate Size

View attachment 279107
A Collander & More Full

View attachment 279108
Steaming

View attachment 279109
Getting Ready to Steam
Wow.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning, roommates! A little bird told me it’s almost the weekend.

View attachment 279110

Daughter was in a choir camp this week, but she twisted her ankle yesterday and is resting at home today. Despite this, I was able to go out shopping! Husband stayed in, so I got to go all the way to the Dollar Store!!.. where nothing costs a dollar. At best it’s 1.99 plus tax. Must be the conversion rate to the yuan.

Our first kiddie birthday party is tomorrow, and so my Saturday horrors recommence.
mmmm, I am waiting for that little birdy to tell me as well, We are only on Tuesday.:oops:
And you are a sucker for punishment. And that is what happens when your daughter is well liked.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Didnt go today. I just got home from work :( that was from 2 weeks ago. But he did get some fish that day too haha
aaahhhh okay, it was your son. You are then a lot older than I thought. Funny how we can make assumptions based on just words!! So very bad, I will go and sit in the naughty corner now and think about what I did!!

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
I only know the Chersina. As I have a gang of them. But I am still learning about them as well.
I maybe will have some in the future but I prefer to start with some Kinixys erosa. Homopus/Chersobius are really interesting but the price is a the same level than the interest I have for them : very high !