COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Well lucked out again. Rose left the gate unlatched and Opo escaped. I went in the direction of his last adventure with no luck. Turned down 2 streets to the south of me went down that street then I went down 1 street south of me. I came across 2 gentleman walking and asked if they saw a tortoise. They said yes he is in between those 2 houses. One of the neighbors had picked Opo up out of the road and placed him in the grass. The 2 gentleman watched and got out of their car to take a pic of Opo. Opo was going into a overgrown lot so I asked one of them to go get him. Both were afraid, so I told them I would give them 50 bucks. Still no takers. I got as close to Opo without getting stuck, maybe 20 yards away. Opo was walking away from me. I called his name and he finally turned around and started coming towards me. The 2 guys were amazed that Opo would come to my voice. I told them it is because I am the food king. Anyways in haste I didn't bring my phone, so I borrowed one of theirs and called Rose.
During this whole ordeal I think I went thru all the stages of grief. I was hopeful to find him,then mad at Rose. Then thoughts of getting another sully. Which I decided I wouldn't. To thinking about telling you all. I am out of the tortoise business and it was great knowing you. Then thinking I didn't need to give up the friendships I have made here. None the less it turned out fine and the xanax are kicking in while I am writing this. ?????????
Sorry... but I'm laughing my head off.?????

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi Heather,
We've had a relatively dry day today, but tomorrow more heavy rain and strong winds are in for the day.
Then hopefully we'll have a couple of drier but colder days - the ground is saturated and the rivers are really high, so a break from the wet weather will be very welcome.
Hope all goes well for Jess today.
I hope it does dry up for you. I really don’t like wet mucky weather. We have rain tomorrow too and then cooler winds coming in. Jess is in pure recovery mode now.. it looks like all of her surgeries have been successful and some of the nerves are already regenerating. She is way ahead of DR predictions.. she had to work really hard for the smallest of things that we all take for granted... but SHE IS DOING IT.. I’m very proud of her. She turns 18 on Sunday and Damn if I don’t feel old!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I think that this Christmas is not going to be a good one at all. Stay safe.

i agree. And now after planning my little heart out so that NO ONE was going to be alone on Christmas Day....
They’ve all up and made plans without including me. Telling me at the last minute tonight. No time fir me to make a “plan C” for myself!!! ?
I will be all alone on Christmas Day ☹️?
See what happens to “ Nice” people!?!
Any ideas on what to do alone????
The tv says on all or most of the channels that it a marathon of crappy movies..AGAIN.
Harry potter
The one with the “leg lamp”.
rocky
and some others.
Please know that these are not crappy movies. But to play them ALL DAY LONG OVER AND OVER is a bit much...24 hrs of the same movie on different channels is not my way of celebrating Christmas tv.
?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Lol. Over here we are having the opposite problem. It is hot. Not too bad yet but still hot. I have the fan on all day long. I went out to do some xmas shopping but I must admit that my heart is not in it. I still struggle to breathe normally all the time. If you are asymptomatic and or haven't had it I don't think people truly appreciate just how horrible this virus is. I know that I didn't until I got it. And even then in the beginning I had very mild symptoms. And Stephen was far worse than me. But as soon as Stephens temperature broke and he started getting better I started feeling worse. Almost like my body said okay Stephen is okay now, so I can now acknowledge the symptoms. Yes I am feeling sorry for myself. And I have probably lost track of what I actually wanted to say........ Anywayyy I think what I was trying to say is that It is Hot over here. ?? Oh dear. I think I have finally lost it. If any of you find my mind anywhere near you, could you please post it back to me? I miss it!!

Carol!!!! I think I’ve found your mind!!
It was under the bed.
Or ... at least ... something moved and told me to “GET OUT!” from under there?
Scary ?!
Well...now.... I don’t know what that thing was???? ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Carol!!!! I think I’ve found your mind!!
It was under the bed.
Or ... at least ... something moved and told me to “GET OUT!” from under there?
Scary ?!
Well...now.... I don’t know what that thing was???? ?
And I really hope you are feeling better!!!
Just take it day by day..!
Rest of you feel the need!
Nothing needs your attention right now.
Just you take it easy on yourself.
And when you’re feeling better....
I will mail your brains back.
But for now..... REST!!!!! ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I hope it does dry up for you. I really don’t like wet mucky weather. We have rain tomorrow too and then cooler winds coming in. Jess is in pure recovery mode now.. it looks like all of her surgeries have been successful and some of the nerves are already regenerating. She is way ahead of DR predictions.. she had to work really hard for the smallest of things that we all take for granted... but SHE IS DOING IT.. I’m very proud of her. She turns 18 on Sunday and Damn if I don’t feel old!!
Well done Jess! And well done you too!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
i agree. And now after planning my little heart out so that NO ONE was going to be alone on Christmas Day....
They’ve all up and made plans without including me. Telling me at the last minute tonight. No time fir me to make a “plan C” for myself!!! ?
I will be all alone on Christmas Day ☹?
The tv says on all or most of the channels that it a marathon of crappy movies..AGAIN.
Harry potter
rocky
and some others.
Please know that these are not crappy movies. But to play them ALL DAY LONG OVER AND OVER is a bit much...24 hrs of the same movie on different channels is not my way of celebrating Christmas tv.
?
Well, I guess we are going to have to host you in the CDR. With our time zones we are here round the clock :)

Is there any voluntary work locally you could get involved with? It doesn’t have to be face to face; thee are online and telephone volunteer services too. Our rescue volunteers on Christmas Day are all people who would be on their own otherwise. Local shelters, senior care and meal services all look for volunteers at this time of year too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all.

I thought I’d share some Christmas baking with you. The electronic version is calorie free so tuck in ;)

Christmas Cake (fruit cake) baked by daughter a couple of months back and decorated yesterday. It’s been maturing and fed with brandy weekly. The colours don’t show well in my photo; those trees are a darker green than that! And there are sparkly stars on the “snow”

Yule log (chocolate swiss roll filled and covered with buttercream) made and decorated by daughter yesterday
7F238583-6867-435A-B63B-3C045C73E714.jpeg

Christmas Cake (fruit cake) baked by daughter a couple of months back and decorated yesterday. It’s been maturing and fed with brandy weekly. The colours don’t show well in my photo; those trees are a darker green than that! And there are sparkly stars on the “snow”
35B0BD41-79BA-4AB6-B4C4-880753D48232.jpeg

Mince pies baked by me with homemade mincemeat. They’re great warm or cold and particularly good with brandy cream. I make a cheat’s version which is simply mascarpone mixed with dark muscovado sugar and a little brandy.
74DA46D6-2C6A-4EA5-919A-910C69B7656B.jpeg
F0564CE6-997D-475B-BEA5-D6594E55688B.jpeg

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good morning all from a very, very soggy Wales!
I've just discovered a cracked roof slate which is letting in some water above my bathroom and I can't do a thing about it yet. I hope I'll be able to temp fix it until after the holidays with some roof seal by leaning out of a bedroom window with a long handled brush, but as its pouring down I can't even do that yet.
Also need to go and find some spare Xmas light bulbs as my old tree is in the dark at the moment.
Still Xmas pressie hunting for my Brother in law.
So much to do so little time!
Hope everyone has a good Weds!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good mornooning all.

I thought I’d share some Christmas baking with you. The electronic version is calorie free so tuck in ;)

Yule log (chocolate swiss roll filled and covered with buttercream) made and decorated by daughter yesterday
View attachment 313689

View attachment 313688

Mince pies baked by me with homemade mincemeat. They’re great warm or cold and particularly good with brandy cream. I make a cheat’s version which is simply mascarpone mixed with dark muscovado sugar and a little brandy.
View attachment 313690
View attachment 313691
Delicious! Much more appetising than my Aldi iced Xmas cake bar and mincepies!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I will be all alone on Christmas Day ☹?
Harry potter
rocky
and some others.
? ?
Bleh! People stink and I am reminded on a daily basis. Always depend on them to do nothing and wait to be amazed, although you won't be let down ?
Now for movies it is difficult
Harry Potters now must be watched in order, but not all on the same day.
What about Middle Earth and not that Smog poop! I mean the original trilogy!!!!
Choose a favorite actor and try to find movies that the starred in (easy) cameos (tougher) or no speaking role (Toughest)
Or just keep checking in with us! I am off this weekend so I will be intermittent.... WE :<3::tort: and sometimes their keepers

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good mornooning all.

View attachment 313689

View attachment 313688

View attachment 313690
View attachment 313691

They look great! I recall your Yule Log from last year & maybe the year before that as well. The mince pies too!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, I guess we are going to have to host you in the CDR. With our time zones we are here round the clock :)

Is there any voluntary work locally you could get involved with? It doesn’t have to be face to face; thee are online and telephone volunteer services too. Our rescue volunteers on Christmas Day are all people who would be on their own otherwise. Local shelters, senior care and meal services all look for volunteers at this time of year too.

My sister will be alone, I will be alone, lonely neighbors and there's others. Maybe we could have a Zoom face time party...? This will be the first time in years that I don't put up a tree. But no room anymore, as I have turned into a pack rat, well, there's that and Christmas is simply no fun to celebrate alone. Christmas is a time for closeness with the family, Jesus, presents, church, laughter and good food. If a person doesn't have any part of that, the Christmas season is mostly lonely and somewhat painful. I've always put up my Dale Earnhardt tree, and bought myself a good present. This year I just want it all to be over and life to ge back to normal. Well, I've NEVER been normal...just sayin ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

joesmum.....I love you.
Just that simple.
I have tried going to and calling local volunteer places but they either told me they have everyone they need (according to covid rules)... or are closed and have sent people away to churches.?? I thought churches were closed too?
oh..well..... I guess I’ll just watch the “leg lamp” movie 14 times.... ?????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good mornooning all.

View attachment 313689

View attachment 313688

View attachment 313690
View attachment 313691

ALL of it looks delicious,fabulous,stunning and meticulous!!
On that cake though..... I would eat the first two trees I saw....
then the sled in the middle.....
THEN....I would take MY FACE and BASH it into the beautiful white icing..?
eating as I went along gracefully to the other side ..??
Just saying.....?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good morning all from a very, very soggy Wales!
I've just discovered a cracked roof slate which is letting in some water above my bathroom and I can't do a thing about it yet. I hope I'll be able to temp fix it until after the holidays with some roof seal by leaning out of a bedroom window with a long handled brush, but as its pouring down I can't even do that yet.
Also need to go and find some spare Xmas light bulbs as my old tree is in the dark at the moment.
Still Xmas pressie hunting for my Brother in law.
So much to do so little time!
Hope everyone has a good Weds!

be safe!
Don’t go hanging out any window to fix anything right now... no injuries for Christmas during covid.!!!
hey... you know?..... that was weird even just to say that!
anyway, please keep safe.
Just collect that rain water in a bucket and use it to shine your torts shell or feed your indoor plants with nice rain water....?