COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales - Visited here many years ago. Cold, dark, rainy, dreich day. Hardly anyone present. Visitor’s Center was empty. Cafe, barely open. But they had a few day old Welsh Cakes. These cakes, plus a spot of tea did wonders. Pretty easy to whip up.

View attachment 314110

View attachment 314111
Mum’s recipe for Welsh cakes is simply flour, egg, dried fruit and sugar.

No spice, no sprinkled sugar.

There are as many variants on this recipe as there are cooks :D

Delicious with a lump of cheese. Caerphilly, Wensleydale or a strong Cheddar are my preference

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all. Every week or so we drop a piece of blanched cucumber or zucchini (courgette) into our aquarium as a treat. Our pleco keeps things very ckean and really enjoys this treat. As do the catfish x6 and goldfish.

A Pix
View attachment 314108

and a Video

3B958C59-893F-4EDB-9745-D98717AF7C6C.jpeg
We have cucumber in the tank too. Here one of the Clown Loaches attended by the Golden Barbs. The Ancistrus (Bristle Nose Catfish) which looks a bit like a Plec is proving camera shy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning... it’s hard for me to say that lately. I had Dad picked up by ambulance yesterday and he is positive for Covid.. he had been pretty ill following his last session of Chemo and we kept hoping it was just the after effects but he continued to get worse. I didn’t see him for Christmas and it became harder to get him on the phone. I had tried to go by Christmas Eve but he had already had a friend bring him some groceries and meds. I woke up yesterday with a really bad feeling in my gut and when I couldn’t get him on the phone, I sent someone that lived close by to check on him until I could get there. It was pretty bad so I called the ambulance and met them at the hospital. They wouldn’t let me see him but the dr’s did call me several times. I ask yet again for your prayers.. I can’t believe that he could beat cancer just for the Covid to grab him. I have to believe that he will fight through this and this is the final bad straw to kick 2020 out the damn door...
I'm so very, very sorry to hear this. Sending good vibes and prayers his way.

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning... it’s hard for me to say that lately. I had Dad picked up by ambulance yesterday and he is positive for Covid.. he had been pretty ill following his last session of Chemo and we kept hoping it was just the after effects but he continued to get worse. I didn’t see him for Christmas and it became harder to get him on the phone. I had tried to go by Christmas Eve but he had already had a friend bring him some groceries and meds. I woke up yesterday with a really bad feeling in my gut and when I couldn’t get him on the phone, I sent someone that lived close by to check on him until I could get there. It was pretty bad so I called the ambulance and met them at the hospital. They wouldn’t let me see him but the dr’s did call me several times. I ask yet again for your prayers.. I can’t believe that he could beat cancer just for the Covid to grab him. I have to believe that he will fight through this and this is the final bad straw to kick 2020 out the damn door...
Oh Cricky, Can you guys just not get a break!!! Enough now 2020!! . I am so sorry Heather. A very big electronic hug and of course you and your father are in my prayers. I pray that your Father pulls through. ????

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. Every week or so we drop a piece of blanched cucumber or zucchini (courgette) into our aquarium as a treat. Our pleco keeps things very ckean and really enjoys this treat. As do the catfish x6 and goldfish.

A Pix
View attachment 314108

and a Video

Oh wow. I did not know you could feed them veg.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 314115
We have cucumber in the tank too. Here one of the Clown Loaches attended by the Golden Barbs. The Ancistrus (Bristle Nose Catfish) which looks a bit like a Plec is proving camera shy.
I have learnt something new today. Never really thought about putting veg in a fish tank. But if I ever get a fish tank I will definitely try it. ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sooooo, to make a short story longer..... we like to burn incense in our house/kitchen living room, etc, but lo & behold it seems like we never have the right holder. Sooooooo, long time readers here will recall that last year I picked up some discarded Cherry logs & branches that someone dumped on the road near our house. I still have some of this left & we knocked out a little incense holder.

Here’s a quick 30 sec video for those interested.

Nice. I like insense too.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Mum’s recipe for Welsh cakes is simply flour, egg, dried fruit and sugar.

No spice, no sprinkled sugar.

There are as many variants on this recipe as there are cooks :D

Delicious with a lump of cheese. Caerphilly, Wensleydale or a strong Cheddar are my preference

Wensleydale please!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks .. I needed to hear ( or read) that..
I agree also. Joe is in lockdown except for his adult program and has been since March. The only reason he's in that is because he would be to isolated otherwise. I'm sure with all the surgerys and things she's had to go through her immune system has been overloaded.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Nice cool to cold sunny bright day. Believe it or not, we were out working on our deck! Yes, it’s not quite finished yet, but we are on a roll now.

All of the old boards up & removed. All new boards cut & 45 degree angles cut where they meet the house or sun room. Now, it’s just the final cuts & placing in the final smaller pieces. We have a process in place, now it’s just a few more cuts. Then we’ll start screwing in the boards. A few things bogged us down......working on the Ships galley cabinet, cut on my arm, nice kayaking weather!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So very sorry to hear you are going through this Heather.
I hope your Dad can find the strength to fight this too and that you can find the strength to cope with yet more worry.
You are all in my thoughts.
Take care

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales - Visited here many years ago. Cold, dark, rainy, dreich day. Hardly anyone present. Visitor’s Center was empty. Cafe, barely open. But they had a few day old Welsh Cakes. These cakes, plus a spot of tea did wonders. Pretty easy to whip up.

View attachment 314110

View attachment 314111
Staple food here!
I've never made any myself but my mother used to make a huge batch of them on a bake stone.
They were delicious especially straight off the bakestone and warm.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I just wanted to share this post as it’s so uplifting.

The hedgehog featured is one of our patients at my rescue. He got a really nasty wound on his back from a Strimmer (String Trimmer) used by a careless gardener.

The scarring has made it difficult for him to roll up which he needs to be able to do if we are to release him. Our vet nurse, called in a favour from a pet physiotherapist she knows :)

DA38575D-D808-417A-B0C5-3B33A0676685.jpeg

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
View attachment 314115

Do you first blanch your vegg as well? I first trim off the outer skin, slice into 1/4 inch slivers then microwave for about 3 minutes. I then dump the boiling water out, top with cold water, let it cool, then feed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you first blanch your vegg as well? I first trim off the outer skin, slice into 1/4 inch slivers then microwave for about 3 minutes. I then dump the boiling water out, top with cold water, let it cool, then feed.
Nope. I just wash it under the tap and throw it in.
Cucumber and frozen peas don’t need blanching and that’s all I use. They eat the cucumber skin as well. Pea skin is too thick for them to break through Which is why I peel peas.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I just wanted to share this post as it’s so uplifting.

The hedgehog featured is one of our patients at my rescue. He got a really nasty wound on his back from a Strimmer (String Trimmer) used by a careless gardener.

The scarring has made it difficult for him to roll up which he needs to be able to do if we are to release him. Our vet nurse, called in a favour from a pet physiotherapist she knows :)

View attachment 314129
There seems to be lots of young hedgehogs about at the moment who are underweight so wouldn't survive the winter. My sister has 2 who seem to be making good progress, a 3rd has gone to someone else and another sister found one in a park today. He was only 247g and is at a vets being treated. So sad that so many more won't be found so won't survive ?