COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
So a friend came and got me and we went on a day trip. She got on a 1 lane road in the Coast Range of Oregon, and for the next about 3 hours we never went over 25 and at times was 10-15 mph as it was a twisty turny road that at times was gravel. Much to my embarrassment, I had to have her pull over and I lost my lunch. Car sick? IDK but then I felt better, and some of the scenery was breathtaking. Notice the cave in this picture
View attachment 316772
Out in the middle of the forest we found a fish ladder...
View attachment 316773
Just so pretty...
View attachment 316774
These are gorgeous.. I would have been the same as you.. I can’t ride in cars at all. Never have.. I’m a big truck kind of person. My daughter drives a mustang... I can’t ride with her anywhere and her driving is fine :-(...

The view must have been worth the ride though.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: We took a boat trip about an hour and a half from Auckland seafront to the amazing island nature reserve of Tiritiri Matangi Island and had a guide to help us.

There are no mammalian predators on the island and the birds, while cautious, don’t fear humans. Little Blue Penguin chicks huddled in a nest box awaiting their parents return were the best possible start.
View attachment 316792View attachment 316793View attachment 316794

Little Blue Penguin chicks
View attachment 316795

North Island Saddleback
View attachment 316796

Giant Weta (a huge cricket)
View attachment 316797

Kakariki (in Maori language Kakariki means green) or Red Crowned Parakeet
View attachment 316798

Bellbird
View attachment 316799

Pukeko (Swamphen) a relation of the comical looking ones we saw in Melbourne and our native Moorhen
View attachment 316800

Kereru (NZ Woodpigeon) these are big pigeons. Much bigger than our native Woodpigeons.
View attachment 316801
That is beautiful!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, these were a gaggle of grackles. Shiny colorful iridescent colors, yellow around the eye.... (not sure why i typed starlings) !
Just blame it on the phone. I didn't know they were called a gaggle. I really like all birds but starlings and grackles are glutens. They eat everything and a lot of the really neat looking songbirds won't fight for their fair share.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My yard is certified by Audubon Society to be a wildlife refuge for birds. I get quail, blackbirds, chickadees. Goldfinches, house sparrows, Toehees, Juncos, Bluejays, Hawks and Falcons, here's more, but my coffee is ready. I have 8 feeders around and lots of birds
The best thing I ever did was plant a true crabapple tree in my yard. When it first got apples I thought it was really an apple tree. Even butterflies like it. I keep getting more and more really beautiful birds every year. The newest are the two different sizes of woodpeckers. I believe I got a Raven this year also. S/he looked like a crow but had a scraggly neck.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/morning all.
It's stopped raining for 5 minutes - cause for celebration!!!! ?
I hope the snow wasn't as bad as it looked for those affected.
Have a good Saturday!
It was beautiful this morning but turned to a little rain. It's Sunday and the snow is going going. It'll freeze tonight and we're supposed to get more snow. I don't really have to go anywhere so I'll just be watching the bird activity.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So a friend came and got me and we went on a day trip. She got on a 1 lane road in the Coast Range of Oregon, and for the next about 3 hours we never went over 25 and at times was 10-15 mph as it was a twisty turny road that at times was gravel. Much to my embarrassment, I had to have her pull over and I lost my lunch. Car sick? IDK but then I felt better, and some of the scenery was breathtaking. Notice the cave in this picture
View attachment 316772
View attachment 316773
Just so pretty...
View attachment 316774
? Beautiful photos.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: We took a boat trip about an hour and a half from Auckland seafront to the amazing island nature reserve of Tiritiri Matangi Island and had a guide to help us.

There are no mammalian predators on the island and the birds, while cautious, don’t fear humans. Little Blue Penguin chicks huddled in a nest box awaiting their parents return were the best possible start.
View attachment 316792View attachment 316793View attachment 316794

Little Blue Penguin chicks
View attachment 316795

North Island Saddleback
View attachment 316796

Giant Weta (a huge cricket)
View attachment 316797

Kakariki (in Maori language Kakariki means green) or Red Crowned Parakeet
View attachment 316798

Bellbird
View attachment 316799

Pukeko (Swamphen) a relation of the comical looking ones we saw in Melbourne and our native Moorhen
View attachment 316800

Kereru (NZ Woodpigeon) these are big pigeons. Much bigger than our native Woodpigeons.
View attachment 316801
Wow. What a wonderful nature preserve. I've only read about preserves that protect the wildlife and how they become at peace.?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Birdfeeders = Squirrels = Destruction
Not here. I have squirrel-proof feeders. The ports close if somethingnheavy pulls on the perch. (PestOff feeders by Roamwild). My other feeders hang below perspex (plexiglass) squirrel baffle domes, The grey squirrels have given up!

Every now and then a youngster wastes time making valiant attempts and then moves on.

I hate grey squirrels. A decade ago I watched one chew its way into our roof space so high up I couldn’t do anything about it. It took 2 months to catch it in a non humane rat trap and it had done significant damage. They aren’t native here and I have no time for these US imports despite my wildlife loving credential.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have blackbirds, blue t-ts, chaffinch, greenfinches, great spotted woodpecker, house sparrows, collared dove, woodpigeons, magpie but in quite small numbers due to a Sparrowhawk kill on Friday. Everything is keeping a low progile at the moment!

Why is the weather always lousy on Big Garden Birdwatch weekend?
I've always thought January is a strange and very unpredictable month to do it but maybe it's because people feed more in the winter so more birds are visiting.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
View attachment 316772
View attachment 316773
Just so pretty...
View attachment 316774
Used to get car sick all the time because I was nearsighted, even with eyeglasses, until I got contacts. Last time, was in my late 50's at night on a long windy road which was supposed to be very scenic, after some greasy fast food french fries.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not here. I have squirrel-proof feeders. The ports close if somethingnheavy pulls on the perch. (PestOff feeders by Roamwild). My other feeders hang below perspex (plexiglass) squirrel baffle domes, The grey squirrels have given up!

Every now and then a youngster wastes time making valiant attempts and then moves on.

I hate grey squirrels. A decade ago I watched one chew its way into our roof space so high up I couldn’t do anything about it. It took 2 months to catch it in a non humane rat trap and it had done significant damage. They aren’t native here and I have no time for these US imports despite my wildlife loving credential.
I only would want a squirrel as a caged pet. They're fun. Maybe they were actually imported as pets and escaped or released. But not in the attic of our home.