COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: we started by visiting Waitomo Glowworm Caves. The glowworms are fly maggots dangling from fine threads from the cave ceiling. No photos allowed there, but at neighbouring Ruakiri Caves photos are allowed in parts so we were able to record these creatures trying to attract their dinner which would be captured on fine dangling threads like a spider. Ruakiri was also the inspiration for Gollum’s cave in the Hobbit film.

We then went for a loooong walk on the Waitomo Walkway accompanied by loads of Sacred Kingfishers and Fantails. The Fantails are pretty little birds like long tailed t-ts batting around in groups in the trees. They accompanied us on many of our walks and were very difficult to photograph!

Ruakuri Caves
4FA09F14-5CC9-425F-9F81-2360DF8032D6.jpeg0F6BB6ED-85B2-4939-93C6-78F5552A9A9E.jpegFF9C6C89-0CD1-44E8-B09E-73AA7D52188B.jpeg

Waitomo Walkway
774BD664-D0E1-4488-ACA8-D5E3A5F0ABF0.jpeg0A3B1356-DAFC-4427-B978-73EE8A187EA8.jpegB69482DB-FC0C-4A0A-8A1C-C002D36C7D28.jpeg

Sacred Kingfisher (not a native species, but naturalised and widely found)4B1F3288-0D63-422B-B6E5-00946AB27BAA.jpeg

FantailD0409780-E113-4255-9F7F-496E49660FC7.jpeg

Masked Lapwing
3334144C-1BA2-415F-BA30-6FF44E6D85EC.jpeg

Green Gecko
88B52E70-AC6F-4006-84E9-CF449AAA28ED.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning,
A showery day here but the sun is trying to peep through the clouds.
Highs of 11C today but won't last long as dropping again towards weekend and back to a high of 1C by Monday. It could all change though.
I'm trying to lure Lola out.
He's peeping out from his hide but is obviously waiting for room service again.
He's a lazy tort!
Have a good Tuesday!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I literally cut it into small bits (half inch cubes) and microwave it with a small amount of water until soft. Then drain the excess liquid and mash.

Beautiful photos as usual and guess what. I cooked some swede today ? It's not bad considering it's my first time and had no clue how to cook it right.
Swede? A tall blonde with blue eyes, and you are talking about cooking him? Silence of the Tortoises

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good afternoon/morning,
A showery day here but the sun is trying to peep through the clouds.
Highs of 11C today but won't last long as dropping again towards weekend and back to a high of 1C by Monday. It could all change though.
I'm trying to lure Lola out.
He's peeping out from his hide but is obviously waiting for room service again.
He's a lazy tort!
Have a good Tuesday!
Only 55° here today. Won't be seeing Opo today.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Family outing this evening to the mass testing centre at The Hop Farm about 8 miles from here - results in under an hour while we were having dinner - all negative.

Flooding meant we had to go “the long route” as some lanes are closed.

All very efficiently organised by the army. Once in our cubicle, orders were definitely barked

“Blow your Nose!
Put your tissue in the bin!
Gel your hands!
Turn round and face me!” ?

We passed as we were able to follow instructions... some took a bit longer after failing to understand the bit about don’t let your swab touch anything and putting it down on the table ?

Covid is going down rapidly round here, but they’ve detected some cases of the South African variant in Maidstone which is only 15 miles away. The government has started a programme going house to house doing tests on everyone in that town :(

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Family outing this evening to the mass testing centre at The Hop Farm about 8 miles from here - results in under an hour while we were having dinner - all negative.

All very efficiently organised by the army. Once in our cubicle, orders were definitely barked

“Blow your Nose!
Gel your hands!

We passed as we were able to follow instructions... some took a bit longer after failing to understand the bit about don’t let your swab touch anything and putting it down on the table ?

Covid is going down rapidly round here, but they’ve detected some cases of the South African variant in Maidstone which is only 15 miles away. The government has started a programme going house to house doing tests on everyone in that town :(

I read this morning of a new Kent variant of COVID. Will it ever end!?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

“Blow your Nose!
Gel your hands!

When I first started reading your post I thought you were beer tasting at the Hop Farm!
Are they testing everyone in England now?
SA variant been found in Wales too.
Worrying that 2 new mutations of the original virus in the UK have been found.

So sad about Captain Tom ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I literally cut it into small bits (half inch cubes) and microwave it with a small amount of water until soft. Then drain the excess liquid and mash.
I did add butter after cooking it like for mashed potatoes then mashed with a fork. I think I would like it with a little salt added. I'm not sure if before or after cooking. I really liked it. It's a bit sweeter than turnips but still very good.? And it was a new food. I get so bored with the same old stuff.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
When I first started reading your post I thought you were beer tasting at the Hop Farm!

I saw that about Captain Tom this morning and it made me really sad also. He became respected here also. The mutations are also here in the US. Those cases are not connected with traveling. Really viruses do that. They mutate. I'm not making light of any of it but I really wish they would tone down on the fear factor. Covid-19 was really hard to go through with emphysema and copd and I lived. My 2 brothers went through it with very few symptoms. It would help people to know it isn't a death sentence.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: we started by visiting Waitomo Glowworm Caves. The glowworms are fly maggots dangling from fine threads from the cave ceiling. No photos allowed there, but at neighbouring Ruakiri Caves photos are allowed in parts so we were able to record these creatures trying to attract their dinner which would be captured on fine dangling threads like a spider. Ruakiri was also the inspiration for Gollum’s cave in the Hobbit film.

We then went for a loooong walk on the Waitomo Walkway accompanied by loads of Sacred Kingfishers and Fantails. The Fantails are pretty little birds like long tailed t-ts batting around in groups in the trees. They accompanied us on many of our walks and were very difficult to photograph!

Ruakuri Caves
View attachment 317058View attachment 317059View attachment 317060

Waitomo Walkway
View attachment 317061View attachment 317062View attachment 317063

Sacred Kingfisher (not a native species, but naturalised and widely found)View attachment 317064

FantailView attachment 317065

Masked Lapwing
View attachment 317066

Green Gecko
View attachment 317067
All of the birds and photos were wonderful but I think my favorite is the kingfisher. He has a beak that's comparable to Jimmy Durante's nose. So cute ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I read this morning of a new Kent variant of COVID. Will it ever end!?
The Kent variant was detected quite a while ago - around Christmas. It’s a version that spreads quicker than the original strain. It doesn't appear to be any more severe - although that’s still pretty bad.

What they have picked up now in a small number of locations across the country is the South African variant which emerged in January. This one is of concern because people with it don’t have any obvious connection with South Africa.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You might like to try some nutmeg added to the mashed swede
I don't like nutmeg but you are right about adding a spice. I do like it mashed with butter. But it's one of those veggies that a favorite spice and a different way of cooking would just change it up a bit. It kinda reminds me of the difference between a potato and a sweet potato. Turnip or rutabaga. I'm so glad I tried it.?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Kent is/was the centre of hop growing in the UK. When we moved to this area in 1992 hops, apples and cherries were the major crops. Sadly, the hop gardens have largely disappeared since we arrived. The breweries are buying overseas. It’s a real shame :(

The Hop Farm used to be the hop farm for the Whitbread brewery chain ome of the UK’s biggest brewers. It was famous for the Shire Horses which pulled drays around London and the horses came to Kent for a holiday every year. You probably saw them on Blue Peter like I did :D The Hop Farm was sold by Whitbread’s and has become a tourist attraction now.

Kent has become an area of major concern due to the high infection rate which skyrocketed over Christmas and the New Year. Consequently mass testing has been set up across the county. It’s such a huge county that there’s a big variation in infection rates though. The areas of most concern are the high population areas along the north Kent coast: Dartford, Sheppey, Medway, Thanet. The more rural parts of the county have much less of a problem.