COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I've always thought January is a strange and very unpredictable month to do it but maybe it's because people feed more in the winter so more birds are visiting.
I don't know. Today was kinda crazy. I'm wondering why I saw a young female cardinal today and I know she was young because of her size. She was gobbling down the mix I bought yesterday like she really needed it. She even let me watch her from the window. Where is my camera when I need it?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: The road trip began and we left Auckland heading for Hamilton via a scenic route along a stretch of the Pacific Coast Road. We stopped at Miranda Shorebird Centre to take in a little birdwatching.

The heat haze made photography near impossible, so you will have to take our word for it that there were hundreds of Wrybills, Pied Oystercatchers and Bar-Tailed Godwits. The resident White Faced Herons, about the size of a cattle egret, are everywhere on farmland and in the water... a novelty at this time we were ignoring them by the end of our trip!

In Hamilton in the evening we did a barbecue river cruise and enjoyed delicious steaks while watching the world go by.
F0B89B29-EE18-4131-9043-4243785B5277.jpeg02DEBDBF-7528-48A8-A51F-C33FB2A3C278.jpegE3DCA88B-0406-4BE0-B788-D85B54D2CB8F.jpegF486C539-A62D-44CC-894D-6DEA47C9A4DB.jpeg

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good afternoon everyone! Here is a question for you.
Why is a banana considered a berry?
But a strawberry is not a berry?????

Hhhhmmmm... i would have called it more a stalky grass...but “berry”? Who is feeding you berries. ?

But there’s more.

➡️ A banana is considered an herb in botanical terms because it never forms a woody stem (or trunk) the way a tree does. Rather, it forms a succulent stalk, or pseudostem. The pseudostem begins as a small shoot from an underground rhizome called a corm.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: The road trip began and we left Auckland heading for Hamilton via a scenic route along a stretch of the Pacific Coast Road. We stopped at Miranda Shorebird Centre to take in a little birdwatching.

The heat haze made photography near impossible, so you will have to take our word for it that there were hundreds of Wrybills, Pied Oystercatchers and Bar-Tailed Godwits. The resident White Faced Herons, about the size of a cattle egret, are everywhere on farmland and in the water... a novelty at this time we were ignoring them by the end of our trip!

In Hamilton in the evening we did a barbecue river cruise and enjoyed delicious steaks while watching the world go by.
View attachment 316915View attachment 316916View attachment 316917View attachment 316918
Beautiful photos as usual and guess what. I cooked some swede today ? It's not bad considering it's my first time and had no clue how to cook it right.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Darn those sparrows. Now I feel guilty. They hate the new song bird and cardinal food and are throwing it all the way across the front of my house! It's even landing on the front walkway. I guess I'll have to add some seeds they like so they'll be a bit more careful with what they throw out.? I'm going to have sunflowers growing everywhere if the cardinals don't get busy.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hhhhmmmm... i would have called it more a stalky grass...but “berry”? Who is feeding you berries. ?

But there’s more.

➡ A banana is considered an herb in botanical terms because it never forms a woody stem (or trunk) the way a tree does. Rather, it forms a succulent stalk, or pseudostem. The pseudostem begins as a small shoot from an underground rhizome called a corm.
Here is what I get from Google.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

But there’s more.

➡ A banana is considered an herb in botanical terms because it never forms a woody stem (or trunk) the way a tree does. Rather, it forms a succulent stalk, or pseudostem. The pseudostem begins as a small shoot from an underground rhizome called a corm.
I'm not very smart, but don't bananas grow on trees? A large woody stem?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Beautiful photos as usual and guess what. I cooked some swede today ? It's not bad considering it's my first time and had no clue how to cook it right.
I literally cut it into small bits (half inch cubes) and microwave it with a small amount of water until soft. Then drain the excess liquid and mash.