COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The Kent variant was detected quite a while ago - around Christmas. It’s a version that spreads quicker than the original strain. It doesn't appear to be any more severe - although that’s still pretty bad.

What they have picked up now in a small number of locations across the country is the South African variant which emerged in January. This one is of concern because people with it don’t have any obvious connection with South Africa.

Yep, SA mutation here now too. ?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
I don't like nutmeg but you are right about adding a spice. I do like it mashed with butter. But it's one of those veggies that a favorite spice and a different way of cooking would just change it up a bit. It kinda reminds me of the difference between a potato and a sweet potato. Turnip or rutabaga. I'm so glad I tried it.?

Garlic, salt & pepper & a good dab of butter.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Still snowing this morning. Happy Groundhog Day

View attachment 317072
You have such a lovely back garden. We had more snow and so much ice under it that we had a level 2 snow day again. I did watch the groundhog day celebrations and listened to the weather man claiming he's more accurate ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: We drove from Hamilton to Rotorua, centre of geothermal activity. It seemed like every property had hot springs bubbling on it and there was a vague smell of sulphur about. Our motel had two geothermal baths and the water is reputed to heal everything; we gave it a try.

After our self-catered dinner the first stop was the high level walkway of the Redwoods Treewalk. Then the tranquility of Lake Okareka. And finally a trip up in the Skyline cable car to go stargazing where some mighty powerful telescopes showed us the wonders of our universe.
84BE700C-7AD2-486D-8742-2F9D9F852DD4.jpegC046E4B6-BEB3-4A76-96DA-DB79D1E73BCA.jpegD7203D06-983B-44B0-A970-4F5DDB8A5B69.jpeg3EFFA3C2-A0B5-420E-85F9-42F5D67B2869.jpegF7E290DE-4E6E-4223-9508-843EC33F2F6A.jpegEA7BB6E8-83DD-4AFF-A8BE-483EAA23A5E2.jpeg7AC3A1CC-9EEE-409C-8324-E4A2B71A255C.jpeg4F102D88-768E-41AD-9E46-EA9ADA64AC46.jpeg3D06F2A1-599C-42D5-AEAF-AE03A9ADB00B.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all... been a bit busy of late though I’m still following along with the goings on here in the CDR... With the passing of my father, I have inherited all of the family properties to be tended (in all of the spare time that I did not have) I hired crews and began a remodel on what used to me my grandparents house. They built it in the 80’s. My grandfather was a huge environmentalist and had landscaped with various fruit trees and butterfly gardens and many other things I wouldn’t recognize. So far, the new roof has been completed, some trees cut back and the inside reconstruction begins today. In the back of the house is where the gardens are but I didn’t get a picture there..416B1005-5E2E-4DED-8C76-6C1271F100C9.jpeg
After this, I’ll start on my fathers place. :-(

I did sneak off last Friday for some time with ReadyToGo... he was well behaved and we had a beautiful ride in some very nice weather. We road the famous Stage Coach Road here in Marshall which is rumored to be haunted. 877AEA9E-19D2-451F-ADDF-E27B76FBC8D1.jpeg

Well, that’s all for now... have to get son up n ready for school! Y’all have a wonderful day!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good morning all... been a bit busy of late though I’m still following along with the goings on here in the CDR... With the passing of my father, I have inherited all of the family properties to be tended (in all of the spare time that I did not have) I hired crews and began a remodel on what used to me my grandparents house. They built it in the 80’s. My grandfather was a huge environmentalist and had landscaped with various fruit trees and butterfly gardens and many other things I wouldn’t recognize. So far, the new roof has been completed, some trees cut back and the inside reconstruction begins today. In the back of the house is where the gardens are but I didn’t get a picture there..View attachment 317151

I did sneak off last Friday for some time with ReadyToGo... he was well behaved and we had a beautiful ride in some very nice weather. We road the famous Stage Coach Road here in Marshall which is rumored to be haunted. View attachment 317152

Well, that’s all for now... have to get son up n ready for school! Y’all have a wonderful day!
Beautiful, where's your mask!?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. I just read in this mornings Corvallis Gazette-Times, 7 pages this morning, anyway, I send my thoughts and prayers to my UK friends on the death of Captain Tom. You talked about him before, and I just passed it over cuz I didn't understand. But now I do, what an example to look up to. RIP Captain Tom

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good morning all... been a bit busy of late though I’m still following along with the goings on here in the CDR... With the passing of my father, I have inherited all of the family properties to be tended (in all of the spare time that I did not have) I hired crews and began a remodel on what used to me my grandparents house. They built it in the 80’s. My grandfather was a huge environmentalist and had landscaped with various fruit trees and butterfly gardens and many other things I wouldn’t recognize. So far, the new roof has been completed, some trees cut back and the inside reconstruction begins today. In the back of the house is where the gardens are but I didn’t get a picture there..View attachment 317151

I did sneak off last Friday for some time with ReadyToGo... he was well behaved and we had a beautiful ride in some very nice weather. We road the famous Stage Coach Road here in Marshall which is rumored to be haunted. View attachment 317152

You have been a busy bee!
I love your grandparents home - I think I would be very living there!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Well, as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. I just read in this mornings Corvallis Gazette-Times, 7 pages this morning, anyway, I send my thoughts and prayers to my UK friends on the death of Captain Tom. You talked about him before, and I just passed it over cuz I didn't understand. But now I do, what an example to look up to. RIP Captain Tom
He was a very special, humble man, so sad that covid got him in the end and he didn't pass quietly at home.:(
He lead a full life right to the end and will always be remembered for his amazing fund raising.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

I’m so glad you got some “me time” in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Chocolate Crunch Cake: I found this recipe that I haven’t made in 30 years and decided it needed to be made again. The original recipe sultanas were replaced with chopped stem ginger and the result is amazing! Very simple to make. Let’s just forget about the calories OK?!

E33DE8E9-6C5A-48F7-A267-CD8D0CD460A2.jpeg

The recipe is so old it was in imperial measurements - which will suit those in the USA - I tried to update it!

10oz/300g plain cooking chocolate (6oz/170g for the cake and the rest for the topping)

14oz/397g tin of condensed milk

4oz/115g butter/margarine (I used a tub of Stork)

10oz/285g rich tea biscuits

6 balls of stem ginger - drained of syrup and chopped into small pieces

20cm/8” square cake/brownie tin lined with foil

Crumble the biscuits reasonably finely (you do want some bigger bits but nothing too large)

Mix in the chopped stem ginger

Melt together the condensed milk, 6oz/170g chocolate and butter/marg

Pour into the biscuit mix and stir thoroughly.

Press into the cake tin and put in the fridge for 1 hour.

Melt the remaining chocolate and spread over the cake then return to the fridge and chill for another hour.

Leave in tin, and cut into portions with a table knife. Return to fridge to really harden up if you can wait that long ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I saw that about Captain Tom this morning and it made me really sad also. He became respected here also. The mutations are also here in the US. Those cases are not connected with traveling. Really viruses do that. They mutate. I'm not making light of any of it but I really wish they would tone down on the fear factor. Covid-19 was really hard to go through with emphysema and copd and I lived. My 2 brothers went through it with very few symptoms. It would help people to know it isn't a death sentence.?
Congrats on surviving!! I know 2 people in their late 80s who survived it as well. Fatal gun shot victims are not having the same luck, however.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Chocolate Crunch Cake: I found this recipe that I haven’t made in 30 years and decided it needed to be made again. The original recipe sultanas were replaced with chopped stem ginger and the result is amazing! Very simple to make. Let’s just forget about the calories OK?!

View attachment 317155

The recipe is so old it was in imperial measurements - which will suit those in the USA - I tried to update it!

10oz/300g plain cooking chocolate (6oz/170g for the cake and the rest for the topping)

Crumble the biscuits reasonably finely (you do want some bigger bits but nothing too large)

Melt the remaining chocolate and spread over the cake then return to the fridge and chill for another hour.

Leave in tin, and cut into portions with a table knife. Return to fridge to really harden up if you can wait that long ?

Looks great!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You have been a busy bee!
I love your grandparents home - I think I would be very living there!
Unfortunately, there are suspicious neighbors there now. It used to be a quiet street. I will be renting it though if you’d like to move to the USA... nice size property in back for Lola:) I will bring wine!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 317155

This looks amazing but I’m unsure about the tea biscuits... biscotti maybe??

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!

Wow....I thought that you had been unusually quiet. But wow, so busy. Nice looking new roof.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Wow....I thought that you had been unusually quiet. But wow, so busy. Nice looking new roof.
Busy is good right now:) Jess is still making good progress and has went back to work at her old job as a hostess. She interviewed earlier this week at an insurance agency. She hopes to get licensed when she graduates (NEXT MONTH!!!) and build a career... She’s gung ho to jump into her adult life... SIGHHHHH .. Ally has swapped out Athletics courses in school for Theater.. And Jayden has joined Taekwando...