COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: We drove from Hamilton to Rotorua, centre of geothermal activity. It seemed like every property had hot springs bubbling on it and there was a vague smell of sulphur about. Our motel had two geothermal baths and the water is reputed to heal everything; we gave it a try.

After our self-catered dinner the first stop was the high level walkway of the Redwoods Treewalk. Then the tranquility of Lake Okareka. And finally a trip up in the Skyline cable car to go stargazing where some mighty powerful telescopes showed us the wonders of our universe.
View attachment 317138View attachment 317139View attachment 317140View attachment 317141View attachment 317142View attachment 317143View attachment 317144View attachment 317145View attachment 317146
Absolutely beautiful!❤

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning all... been a bit busy of late though I’m still following along with the goings on here in the CDR... With the passing of my father, I have inherited all of the family properties to be tended (in all of the spare time that I did not have) I hired crews and began a remodel on what used to me my grandparents house. They built it in the 80’s. My grandfather was a huge environmentalist and had landscaped with various fruit trees and butterfly gardens and many other things I wouldn’t recognize. So far, the new roof has been completed, some trees cut back and the inside reconstruction begins today. In the back of the house is where the gardens are but I didn’t get a picture there..View attachment 317151
After this, I’ll start on my fathers place. :-(

I did sneak off last Friday for some time with ReadyToGo... he was well behaved and we had a beautiful ride in some very nice weather. We road the famous Stage Coach Road here in Marshall which is rumored to be haunted. View attachment 317152

Well, that’s all for now... have to get son up n ready for school! Y’all have a wonderful day!
Work and then some me time. Perfect schedule!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Busy is good right now:) Jess is still making good progress and has went back to work at her old job as a hostess. She interviewed earlier this week at an insurance agency. She hopes to get licensed when she graduates (NEXT MONTH!!!) and build a career... She’s gung ho to jump into her adult life... SIGHHHHH .. Ally has swapped out Athletics courses in school for Theater.. And Jayden has joined Taekwando...
How is therapy going with Jess?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Chocolate Crunch Cake: I found this recipe that I haven’t made in 30 years and decided it needed to be made again. The original recipe sultanas were replaced with chopped stem ginger and the result is amazing! Very simple to make. Let’s just forget about the calories OK?!

View attachment 317155

The recipe is so old it was in imperial measurements - which will suit those in the USA - I tried to update it!

10oz/300g plain cooking chocolate (6oz/170g for the cake and the rest for the topping)

14oz/397g tin of condensed milk

4oz/115g butter/margarine (I used a tub of Stork)

10oz/285g rich tea biscuits

6 balls of stem ginger - drained of syrup and chopped into small pieces

20cm/8” square cake/brownie tin lined with foil

Crumble the biscuits reasonably finely (you do want some bigger bits but nothing too large)

Mix in the chopped stem ginger

Melt together the condensed milk, 6oz/170g chocolate and butter/marg

Pour into the biscuit mix and stir thoroughly.

Press into the cake tin and put in the fridge for 1 hour.

Melt the remaining chocolate and spread over the cake then return to the fridge and chill for another hour.

Leave in tin, and cut into portions with a table knife. Return to fridge to really harden up if you can wait that long ?
Ohhhhh I can't show that recipe to Rose.
I would eat the whole pan!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How is therapy going with Jess?
It’s going well I think.. she told me yesterday that her arm “felt cold” ... she was so excited to be feeling anything besides nerves! She’s getting more strength back.. more control, I guess you could say.. Are you ready to get your prosthetic back on?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
These are Rich Tea biscuits. They’re the best kind for dunking in your cup of tea or coffee in my opinion :DView attachment 317182
I think I would use our vanilla wafers here. They are very crunchy. A light but not overly sweet cookie. People use them here with Banana pudding.F60F351A-D1FE-4536-8551-704C61B65BA4.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It’s going well I think.. she told me yesterday that her arm “felt cold” ... she was so excited to be feeling anything besides nerves! She’s getting more strength back.. more control, I guess you could say.. Are you ready to get your prosthetic back on?
I experience coldness on the tip of my amputated arm. I think it's blood flow. Sometimes it's ice cold. I had the stitches removed last week but at one end of the incision still bleeds. I really depend on that arm to transfer in and out from wheelchair to other chairs or bed. I try to use my elbow but some transfers are more stable with the forearm. So I haven't put my prosthetic on. When using the cross trainer. I keep that arm tight to my chest. Rose put steri strips on that section of the wound. Seems to be slowing the bleeding down.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Congrats on surviving!! I know 2 people in their late 80s who survived it as well. Fatal gun shot victims are not having the same luck, however.
Yes and the truth won't be known. The only reason one of my brothers got tested is because I told him I was positive. He had what he thought was a slight cold. I think the numbers of people that have had covid 19 is much higher than what is being said. Yes we should quarantine and wear masks and take precautions but we probably should do that anyway. Also there was a period of time that I really didn't know that I was sick because it's the same thing I always go through. What protected others was the fact that I don't go out much anyway and was taking the extra precautions. I got it from the grocery store and how are you supposed to quit eating for a year. Sorry I'm just frustrated with the dumb stuff. You can't even believe the list of chores they gave me at the doctor's office when my developmentally disabled brother and I visited. I was way worse then him but they told me what he would need but I guess I already knew that because I was already doing it for myself. I'm still here and I thank the Lord for it ☺️?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Busy is good right now:) Jess is still making good progress and has went back to work at her old job as a hostess. She interviewed earlier this week at an insurance agency. She hopes to get licensed when she graduates (NEXT MONTH!!!) and build a career... She’s gung ho to jump into her adult life... SIGHHHHH .. Ally has swapped out Athletics courses in school for Theater.. And Jayden has joined Taekwando...
Wow give Jess a hug from me. She's inspiring. I didn't see all you've been up to yet but so are you ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes and the truth won't be known. The only reason one of my brothers got tested is because I told him I was positive. He had what he thought was a slight cold. I think the numbers of people that have had covid 19 is much higher than what is being said. Yes we should quarantine and wear masks and take precautions but we probably should do that anyway. Also there was a period of time that I really didn't know that I was sick because it's the same thing I always go through. What protected others was the fact that I don't go out much anyway and was taking the extra precautions. I got it from the grocery store and how are you supposed to quit eating for a year. Sorry I'm just frustrated with the dumb stuff. You can't even believe the list of chores they gave me at the doctor's office when my developmentally disabled brother and I visited. I was way worse then him but they told me what he would need but I guess I already knew that because I was already doing it for myself. I'm still here and I thank the Lord for it ☺?
Yes! You are not going anywhere!?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Heather my son just sent this to me today.
He says a friend involved in a bad auto accident tried this and it worked. I am waiting for a call back from them.
Don't know if it might be beneficial for Jess in the future.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all... been a bit busy of late though I’m still following along with the goings on here in the CDR... With the passing of my father, I have inherited all of the family properties to be tended (in all of the spare time that I did not have) I hired crews and began a remodel on what used to me my grandparents house. They built it in the 80’s. My grandfather was a huge environmentalist and had landscaped with various fruit trees and butterfly gardens and many other things I wouldn’t recognize. So far, the new roof has been completed, some trees cut back and the inside reconstruction begins today. In the back of the house is where the gardens are but I didn’t get a picture there..View attachment 317151
After this, I’ll start on my fathers place. :-(

I did sneak off last Friday for some time with ReadyToGo... he was well behaved and we had a beautiful ride in some very nice weather. We road the famous Stage Coach Road here in Marshall which is rumored to be haunted. View attachment 317152

Well, that’s all for now... have to get son up n ready for school! Y’all have a wonderful day!
I'm so sorry to see your father passed. It's a lot to go through in such a short amount of time with everything else on your agenda.? You and your horse make a wonderful couple though. How's Cinder? I miss her pictures.