COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I mentioned this before, but while living in Defiance Ohio. Everytime it rained hard. These huge slugs would be on the side walks and driveways. They were like 4 or 5 inches long and thick. I was amazed!
That's quite common here - although slugs are able to elongate themselves, so maybe in drier conditions they like smaller. When I was a teenager I can remember having to walk down a path that was covered with big fat long slugs - it was a nightmare! I'm much more tolerant of them these days now I understand they are part of the eco system. and food chains etc.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That's quite common here - although slugs are able to elongate themselves, so maybe in drier conditions they like smaller. When I was a teenager I can remember having to walk down a path that was covered with big fat long slugs - it was a nightmare! I'm much more tolerant of them these days now I understand they are part of the eco system. and food chains etc.
That is why I buy the big container of SALT. If I see you and you don't scram you get Tom Colicchio'ed --A Touch More Salt!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

I really don’t see any land snails here (with shells) in Maryland. When I lived in Monterey CA, yep, all over the place. After a rain in the morning the sidewalks would have a ton of them.....used to squish a ton during my morning jogs.

But here - just big old slugs. Many hide out on the roof of my composting bin, under flowerpots and old wood.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That is why I buy the big container of SALT. If I see you and you don't scram you get Tom Colicchio'ed --A Touch More Salt!
I have a buncha box turtles, and every early morning I take my tools and I go out in my bathrobe and gather slugs and worms for them. Slugs gross me out...yucky
Hey, Blackdog1714...don't you keep water turtles? Why don't you gather up those slugs daily and feed them to the turtles?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a buncha box turtles, and every early morning I take my tools and I go out in my bathrobe and gather slugs and worms for them. Slugs gross me out...yucky
Hey, Blackdog1714...don't you keep water turtles? Why don't you gather up those slugs daily and feed them to the turtles?
Nooe no turtles maybe the chickens can eat them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning all.
It's grey and chilly here but dry and the winds have finally dropped, so a big improvement on recent days.
Hope everyone has a good Monday.
It's grey and chilly here too. It rained overnight, so I have a REAL excuse for not working outside. I built a fire in the woodstove, put a sunshine cake in the oven, cleaned out the fridge and washed dishes (my back is killing me. I think my sink is too low).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don’t see any land snails here (with shells) in Maryland. When I lived in Monterey CA, yep, all over the place. After a rain in the morning the sidewalks would have a ton of them.....used to squish a ton during my morning jogs.

But here - just big old slugs. Many hide out on the roof of my composting bin, under flowerpots and old wood.
There are no snails in my neighborhood either, much to the chagrin of my many box turtles.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It's grey and chilly here too. It rained overnight, so I have a REAL excuse for not working outside. I built a fire in the woodstove, put a sunshine cake in the oven, cleaned out the fridge and washed dishes (my back is killing me. I think my sink is too low).
Rain is good for your area right? Hope your back feels better.
What is a sunshine cake?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I also remember when I was 5 years old. My dad was stationed in Hawaii. Cant remember if it was seasonal, but at night toads would come out by the hundreds. I would go around and catch them in a bucket. The next day there would be bunches of flattened toads in the road. From being ran over by cars. My older brother would do something with toads and firecrackers. I will not go into details.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rain is good for your area right? Hope your back feels better.
What is a sunshine cake?
Yeah, we normally have drought, so rain is good.

My back problem is work related. . . I tend to hunch forward when working outside and it eventually just kills my back. But sitting in my recliner with a small pillow at the small of my back relieves the pain and I'm good as new.

Sunshine cake is yellow cake mix made with crushed pineapple and topped with Kool Whip that's mixed with crushed pineapple and vanilla instant pudding. It turned out pretty good. Because I'm the only one here to eat my food, I made only half the recipe. I hope the bugs don't get to the other half of the cake mix.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I also remember when I was 5 years old. My dad was stationed in Hawaii. Cant remember if it was seasonal, but at night toads would come out by the hundreds. I would go around and catch them in a bucket. The next day there would be bunches of flattened toads in the road. From being ran over by cars. My older brother would do something with toads and firecrackers. I will not go into details.
I remember the toad pancakes, but I haven’t seen that many in awhile. My brother did the firecracker thing, I think I know what it was. Bleah!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, I too would like to see pix of “clear slugs like jelly fish”. Almost everything we have here are slugs - large, small, slimy. Lift up a flower pot or an old piece of wood...bam, a big old fat slug.
I hope I see one this year. I'll be sure to get a picture. I don't see them often where I live now but I do see them now and then. I used to see quite a few not far from here while growing up. What I think of as snails, I see all of the time here. Big ones! With horns ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster