COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
It's grey and chilly here too. It rained overnight, so I have a REAL excuse for not working outside. I built a fire in the woodstove, put a sunshine cake in the oven, cleaned out the fridge and washed dishes (my back is killing me. I think my sink is too low).
what is a sunshine cake?

are you tall Yvonne? ( I pictured you around 5’4” for some reason ). I am 5’9” and my back hurts a lot when I have to work over tabletops!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
I also remember when I was 5 years old. My dad was stationed in Hawaii. Cant remember if it was seasonal, but at night toads would come out by the hundreds. I would go around and catch them in a bucket. The next day there would be bunches of flattened toads in the road. From being ran over by cars. My older brother would do something with toads and firecrackers. I will not go into details.
My sister goes out with buckets to catch toads and frogs who are en route to their breeding grounds to help them cross the road safely.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Yeah, we normally have drought, so rain is good.

My back problem is work related. . . I tend to hunch forward when working outside and it eventually just kills my back. But sitting in my recliner with a small pillow at the small of my back relieves the pain and I'm good as new.

Sunshine cake is yellow cake mix made with crushed pineapple and topped with Kool Whip that's mixed with crushed pineapple and vanilla instant pudding. It turned out pretty good. Because I'm the only one here to eat my food, I made only half the recipe. I hope the bugs don't get to the other half of the cake mix.
Sounds like a variation of the pineapple upside down cake. - pineapple rings in the base of a cake tin, covered with cake mix then turned out upside down when baked so that the rings are on top. I've never made one but they are delicious with cream, custard or ice cream.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
A guy in London, on TWITTER/GardensHour complaining as well about the S N A I L S ! In his garden.

View attachment 320965
I hope he let them live!
They eat a lot of decaying vegetation, fungus so are important ecologically as well being part of the food chain for other animals like frogs toads and some birds etc.

Alabama
Hello, nobody in particular.
Welcome to Tidgy's Dad's Cold Dark Room.
Not expecting a lot of visitors in this pointless place, but this is where I live now.
It's good in here.
If anyone does visit, please feel free to say what you want( within forum guidelines, of course) and I will be happy to be silly, slightly insult you or ignore you completely which you are most welcome to do to me.
I will of course venture out occasionally, when I think I can be useful or annoying, but otherwise I live here now.
No advertising, let's see who spots me.
This is where i belong.
Tidgy is most unconcerned.
As I was reading I thought this was written from your tortoises’ point of view.... clever tortoise.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yeah, we normally have drought, so rain is good.

My back problem is work related. . . I tend to hunch forward when working outside and it eventually just kills my back. But sitting in my recliner with a small pillow at the small of my back relieves the pain and I'm good as new.

Sunshine cake is yellow cake mix made with crushed pineapple and topped with Kool Whip that's mixed with crushed pineapple and vanilla instant pudding. It turned out pretty good. Because I'm the only one here to eat my food, I made only half the recipe. I hope the bugs don't get to the other half of the cake mix.
That cake sounds wonderful!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Chef, it's coming for you!! That was this am before it snowed & blew all day.View attachment 320905

Holy COW!!!!!
Ok... let me look up....
How to cook with snow.?
Wow!!!
We got a lot of straight line winds for two days now.
I feel like the roof and windows are gonna blow out!
Maybe snow would have been better??

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Holy COW!!!!!
Ok... let me look up....
How to cook with snow.?
Wow!!!
We got a lot of straight line winds for two days now.
I feel like the roof and windows are gonna blow out!
Maybe snow would have been better??
I'll take wind over snow any day. I can sit in my lawn chair outside in the wind but not in the snow.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I'll take wind over snow any day. I can sit in my lawn chair outside in the wind but not in the snow.

Yes but when you go back inside because it’s too cold ....
can you power up your :
Tv
Stove
Lights
Refrigerator
Heat.....
Etc????
The wind has been knocking power off and on for two days. ?
Enough already Mother Nature!!!
One day Hot ?
Next day 12 degrees...
We get it ...
Your going through menopause...
Yea...yea... bla...bla...bla....
Find a hobby Mother Nature ?!!!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
That’s so pretty...as I sit here in a tee shirt and shorts.. (_|_)
We got at least 27 inches. Hubby cleared our driveway with his HUGE snowblower but we can't get out of our driveway because the cul de sac hasn"t been plowed & my 4-wheel drive SportTrac would get stuck.

In the Republic of Boulder, you must clear your sidewalks within 24 hours of the snow ceasing or you can be fined.

It could snow tomorrow. But high 50's by the weekend. I hate snow!! Bring on the sun!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all. Sorry for my absence. Covid vaccine tiredness side effect left me doing very little. And that is the only effect it’s had on us.

We have both been feeling manageably tired. JoesDad said cleaning our fish tank was more effort than it should have been on Sunday, but we still got out for a walk on our regular workday route.

Then I went to the rescue yesterday. That was hard work too. I got home and JoesDad, who started a new contract yesterday, was having problems connecting to his new employer’s IT systems.

The employer’s tech, having done a load of stuff at his end, gave Mr gee40 a list of things to do our end... which meant me of course. (I am an IT Tech by trade)

Then daughter needed something posting to her urgently.

I was very, very tired.

A normal reaction for me to being overtired is to get extremely cold. I ended up in my thickest fleece jacket with a blanket over me last night. I honestly don’t think the cold was a side effect ... just that I got overtired when I shouldn’t have.

This morning, I rolled over in bed and was surprised JoesDad wasn’t there. I had slept through the alarm, him having a shower and getting dressed... I had no idea!

Hopefully I have slept it off now. I’m not in any hurry to start the day though and I’m such a morning person usually.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good morning all.
We have a lovely sunny and warm day here today!!!:cool:
The wind is a bit blustery but it's not cold.
I put Lola out in a sunny, sheltered patch which he stayed in for all of 3 mins before heading back in.
I'm just leaving the door jammed open for him to come and go as he pleases - maybe if he thinks it's his own idea he may go out and stay longer. :)
I also released my butterflies after feeding them up with some sugary water, they had a good stretch of their wings, soaked up some sunshine and they were off. Hopefully they'll enjoy some time in the sun.
Hope you all have a good Tuesday!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
We got at least 27 inches. Hubby cleared our driveway with his HUGE snowblower but we can't get out of our driveway because the cul de sac hasn"t been plowed & my 4-wheel drive SportTrac would get stuck.

In the Republic of Boulder, you must clear your sidewalks within 24 hours of the snow ceasing or you can be fined.

It could snow tomorrow. But high 50's by the weekend. I hate snow!! Bring on the sun!!
That’s crazy!!! I like the snow.. in the “once in a blue moon “ increments that we get it... lol
here in Texas, our spring weather right now is my favorite.. crisp mornings that make way to mid 70 days.. I can be outside comfortably all day and i try to do exactly that .