COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention the latest problem I have which unfortunately won't solve itself. As I was going out yesterday and was locking the front door the key snapped in the lock and is well and truly stuck.
It's too far in to try any of the usual ways of removing it but at least I can lock it from the inside and luckily I have rear access to my house so can use the door at the back of the house, but I may have to buy a new lock. My brother in law is going to see if he can sort it out for me - if he left it to me I'd probably end up needing a new door!
I saw one of those helpful hint videos the other day showing how to get a snapped off key out of the lock. Maybe you can search for it on youtube?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wow. I've had to replace doorknobs for Joe constantly. But here's the thing, the ones I buy are warranted. It could be free if it is.
I usually don't have time to wait though so I just buy another doorknob. Is yours under warrenty?
No it's about 40 years old so well past any warranty. I think it was more likely that the key had worn thin

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I saw one of those helpful hint videos the other day showing how to get a snapped off key out of the lock. Maybe you can search for it on youtube?
Thanks Yvonne, I've seen a a few but it's too far in to get any grip on it. A locksmith may be able to do it but at about £80+ for a callout it will be cheaper to have new lock.

LJL1982

UK
I think the castle was just closed for routine maintenance today so we were just unlucky (well it is Friday 13th!). I've not been in there for many years so was looking forward to it but we'll go another day.
Trains very hit and miss with the strikes and line work lately but I was glad all was Ok to save me driving down.
Still waiting for the electrician who has covid now but hopefully it won't be too long. Good luck with the gas work!
Thank you! Good luck with your front door! Can you glue anything to the stump of the key to get it out? Never rains it pours!

LJL1982

UK
Thanks Yvonne, I've seen a a few but it's too far in to get any grip on it. A locksmith may be able to do it but at about £80+ for a callout it will be cheaper to have new lock.
That's a real pain. Still, at least then you know it's good for a few years and won't let you down. It is what it is.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Happy Birthday Lyn,🥳🥳
Remember awhile back I was complaining about my neighbor letting her dog poop right next to my fence.
Well after the one conversation with her that didn't go so well. I listened to all your suggestions.
Well it looks like Opo took care of it himself.
When the neighbor would bring the dog on a leash to their usual spot. Opo was near one time and was ramming the fence and hissing. Opo was trying to get through the fence to get to the dog. The dog was barking and backing away from the fence. So whenever Opo would see them, he would be line it over there and try to get through the fence. With all the barking and obvious the dog was afraid of Opo. My neighbor has picked another spot in her yard on the other side. 😁

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Happy Birthday Lyn,🥳🥳
Remember awhile back I was complaining about my neighbor letting her dog poop right next to my fence.
Well after the one conversation with her that didn't go so well. I listened to all your suggestions.
When the neighbor would bring the dog on a leash to their usual spot. Opo was near one time and was ramming the fence and hissing. Opo was trying to get through the fence to get to the dog. The dog was barking and backing away from the fence. So whenever Opo would see them, he would be line it over there and try to get through the fence. With all the barking and obvious the dog was afraid of Opo. My neighbor has picked another spot in her yard on the other side. 😁
Thank you Ray!
Well done Opo - that's brilliant!!
You'll have to get one of these now
1673659750302.png

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy Birthday Lyn,🥳🥳
Oh my garsh that's too funny! The dog is smarter than the neighbor 🤣 go Opo go 🤣 watch tortoise doing his job.🐢

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all,
After heavy rain all night it was a brighter day today with a few heavy showers - still receiving flood alerts but hopefully we'll have some drier days next week which will help the water levels drop.

Thankfully I managed to remove the broken key from my door lock myself. I found a tiny flat edged screw driver in a spectacles repair kit and managed to fit it in the top of the lock above the key to lever it out with that. So that's a good job and a pat on the back for me! 👏:)

Anyway time I was in bed now as it's past midnight, so enjoy the rest of your Saturday and Happy Sunday for those already there!
Nos Da.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all,
After heavy rain all night it was a brighter day today with a few heavy showers - still receiving flood alerts but hopefully we'll have some drier days next week which will help the water levels drop.

Thankfully I managed to remove the broken key from my door lock myself. I found a tiny flat edged screw driver in a spectacles repair kit and managed to fit it in the top of the lock above the key to lever it out with that. So that's a good job and a pat on the back for me! 👏:)

Anyway time I was in bed now as it's past midnight, so enjoy the rest of your Saturday and Happy Sunday for those already there!
Nos Da.
I hope you have a spare key copy or glue the 2 parts together and get one. It would be so lovely if you can keep the old lock. They are made so much better. Nos Da 😘

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
It has been so long since I have been able to check in. I’ve tried checking how everyone is doing and reading so much to catch up. It’s a lot.
We are so busy on the farm and our full time jobs. I don’t get a chance to check in. We are having terrible water problems here on the farm even though it hasn’t been raining too much. We’ve been in contact with our local councilman and gravity drainage. They are working on it. It has to do with our neighbor next to us and neighbor behind us. I hope it is fixed soon. We have pumped water from our pasture to our front ditches for five days and we still have water in our pasture. The water has affected our sheep and horses. It’s been a huge weight on our shoulders.
Another reason I’ve been off the forum for a while is grief. We lost our Russian tortoise Pepe this summer. I was devastated. He buried himself in a bad spot and either drowned in a sudden heavy downpour or because he buried himself next to his feeding stone, this caused him to overheat too much. We provided many cooler shades/hides but he dug instead, temp checked the hides frequently. I am still so sad. His enclosure has never once held water so I think it was more the overheating. We are on a waiting list for a rescue near us. They get a couple Russian tortoises a year and they will let us know when the next one arrives. I get so sad every time I see his empty enclosure.
Our good news is our growing farm. In the past year we have had 8 lambs born on our farm, 3 rams and 5 ewes. We have one more ewe lambing any day now. We are so excited. The lambs are so cute.
I hope everyone is doing well and starting off your new year with positive thoughts and joy. 31C2C3E3-FA18-49FD-A711-2116DD844B4C.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It has been so long since I have been able to check in. I’ve tried checking how everyone is doing and reading so much to catch up. It’s a lot.
We are so busy on the farm and our full time jobs. I don’t get a chance to check in. We are having terrible water problems here on the farm even though it hasn’t been raining too much. We’ve been in contact with our local councilman and gravity drainage. They are working on it. It has to do with our neighbor next to us and neighbor behind us. I hope it is fixed soon. We have pumped water from our pasture to our front ditches for five days and we still have water in our pasture. The water has affected our sheep and horses. It’s been a huge weight on our shoulders.
Another reason I’ve been off the forum for a while is grief. We lost our Russian tortoise Pepe this summer. I was devastated. He buried himself in a bad spot and either drowned in a sudden heavy downpour or because he buried himself next to his feeding stone, this caused him to overheat too much. We provided many cooler shades/hides but he dug instead, temp checked the hides frequently. I am still so sad. His enclosure has never once held water so I think it was more the overheating. We are on a waiting list for a rescue near us. They get a couple Russian tortoises a year and they will let us know when the next one arrives. I get so sad every time I see his empty enclosure.
Our good news is our growing farm. In the past year we have had 8 lambs born on our farm, 3 rams and 5 ewes. We have one more ewe lambing any day now. We are so excited. The lambs are so cute.
I hope everyone is doing well and starting off your new year with positive thoughts and joy. View attachment 353383
Sorry for your loss. I am sure there will be a rescue coming your way. Just think when they day comes you will be saving a tort and be giving great care.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hope everyone is doing well and starting off your new year with positive thoughts and joy. View attachment 353383
It's so nice to see you here. 😘Sorry to see you lost your little Russian. That's a really hard loss. And flooding is so hard to deal with with the animals you have. 🤗🙏 To you for having to deal with that too. I'll be thinking of you through it and keep you in my prayers.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Batched up some more suet cakes & coated my suet log. Plenty of birds are happy.

Sunflower seeds, cracked corn, raw shelled peanuts, quinoa, wheat berries & chia seeds all coated with melted lard/pbutter concoction.

View attachment 353397
I received the campark camera already. All I can say is wow 😁 I haven't had time to set it up yet. They seem to be a really good company. And the camera is much better quality than the spy point one that I tried for almost the same price. I'm saving containers to try your recipe for the suet also. Thanks for the info.🙂

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome back!
I'm so sorry about the loss of Pepe, it is heartbreaking especially when you can't tell why. I hope you can soon find another tort looking for a forever home.
Also sorry about the water problems on the farm which are giving you such a headache and hope you can sort that out soon. It is great to hear that that the sheep seem to be thriving though, I bet it's lovely to have the new lambs running around so congratulations on their arrival and here's to many more!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hope you have a spare key copy or glue the 2 parts together and get one. It would be so lovely if you can keep the old lock. They are made so much better. Nos Da 😘
Yes I have a few spares, so no worries there. I'm going to make sure I keep the tiny screwdriver safe in case I ever need it again!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I received the campark camera already. All I can say is wow 😁 I haven't had time to set it up yet. They seem to be a really good company. And the camera is much better quality than the spy point one that I tried for almost the same price. I'm saving containers to try your recipe for the suet also. Thanks for the info.🙂
That's great Cathie - good luck with setting it up and looking forward to seeing some pics/footage from it.