COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
We've had plenty more rain since my last bulletin - getting warmer this week but still wet.
I had a busy weekend with family and spent Saturday at my nephew's house celebrating Isaac's 2nd birthday. He is a little bundle of fun and love and quite talkative now, he calls me Ninny.
The last 2 days I felt as if I was heading for another cold but thankfully it came to nothing.
Thank heavens my phone saga has also been resolved and I can still use my old number - they have even given me a credit on my account for the inconvenience. So all hunky dory, I just have to get used to the phone now.
It was only yesterday I learnt how to answer a call. I've been tapping the red phone button that appeared when I had a call but instead of connecting me it would carry on ringing. I found out I have to swipe the call icon to connect not just tap. :)
Lots to learn and every day's a school day!
I hope you're all having a good week so far.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all.
We've had plenty more rain since my last bulletin - getting warmer this week but still wet.
I had a busy weekend with family and spent Saturday at my nephew's house celebrating Isaac's 2nd birthday. He is a little bundle of fun and love and quite talkative now, he calls me Ninny.
The last 2 days I felt as if I was heading for another cold but thankfully it came to nothing.
Thankfully my phone saga has been resolved and I can still use my old number - they have even given me a credit on my account for the inconvenience. So all hunky dory, I just have to get used to the phone now.
It was only yesterday I learnt how to answer a call. I've been tapping the red phone button that appeared when I had a call but instead of connecting me it would carry on ringing. I found out I have to swipe the call icon to connect not just tap. :)
Lots to learn and every day's a school day!
I hope you're all having a good week so far.
Amen to that one too. It's crazy trying to answer my phone. Annd my ear takes me into Timbuktu when I try so I try to just text usually..🙃

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look forward, but sometimes your past will come looking you. Today I gave a deposition about a job I worked on in 1968. Who would have thought that after 56 years it would matter where and who I worked with.
How can you even remember? Hm-m-m. . . 1968. . .Well, I think JFK died in 1962. That's about all I remember from that year. If '62 was close to when I started working at Ma Bell I was making $67 a week. But 1968? Nothing springs to mind. I was probably working for Ma Bell, but I haven't a clue who my co workers were. If you give me a name I may (or may not) remember something about them.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
How can you even remember? Hm-m-m. . . 1968. . .Well, I think JFK died in 1962. That's about all I remember from that year. If '62 was close to when I started working at Ma Bell I was making $67 a week. But 1968? Nothing springs to mind. I was probably working for Ma Bell, but I haven't a clue who my co workers were. If you give me a name I may (or may not) remember something about them.
I remember a lot about it because it was my first job as a insulator apprentice. Everything was new to me, it was a big building in DC. The World Bank at 18th and G St NW. I was there for almost a year. I got to know all the insulators that came to work there because I was the store boy and I was the one that put dimes in the parking meters so no one got a parking ticket. Also I knew what materials were used because I carried most of it off the delivery trucks into the building and then had to keep the journey men supplied with what materials they needed. Today's deposition wasn't about me it was about a friend that I met there and recently died from mesothelioma. I did my own deposition back in 1996 and at that time I could even remember the manufacturers who made the insulation and what the boxes and bags had written on them. But couldn't do that today. I didn't need to and wasn't ask about it. They just needed someone to say that this person worked on that job. And I may be the only one still alive. Kennedy was assassinated November 22 1963. That was my father's birthday 40 years pryer.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hope Jacky didn't eat any!
Lola has developed a taste for my mop, so since I caught him trying to take a bite out of it I keep it well out of his way. He's also tried to eat other things too - towels, mats, carpets etc., fortunately I've been there to catch him at it and keep all fabrics well out of reach now. My biggest fear is that he'll choke on something.
The sponge mop Rose uses to clean Opo's box. It will sometimes end up on the ground. I know when he has taken a bite. When there is a v- shaped part of the sponge missing.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
The World Bank at 18th and G St NW
Six degrees of separation. You did the original building then. Good that you remembered the guy & are alive! There's always that part. You're also a good guy for going through that for a Brother. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Today was "tree day". We had a wild cherry, around 15 yrs old & 6" diameter @ 5', growing right over the neighbors yard. He doesn't have a normal yard though and even though he's a real nice guy and came to our wedding, we don't want to cause him angst because our tree is messing up his driveway....he rakes it every day....he's a bit particular. Look at it!

So now you know that doing this WITHOUT causing damage or branches everywhere is his yard was pretty imperative to me.

20240313_130950.jpg

Don't look for it, it's gone. I jumped up to the 20' level with my popup ladder(tree was 25' tall) and draped a 1.25" rope around it at a branch, tied it to two come-a-longs and pulled it down slow-style while I hit the base with the 10" Esaw. If you look where the yellow flowers begin on our side, you can see the stump painted black to protect it.

Not one bud or flower was damaged, nor was our lawn or sprinkler system. You can see how nice Ricks yard is....that's why I waited till the buds formed on the tree before removing it...so it wouldn't shatter!

20240313_131026.jpg

Said tree in the back yard, top of the hill.....I'm too tired to haul it to the expanding Dam site! It'll wait....it's gorgeous out here today!

Time for a well deserved.....wait for it....a Nutty Buddy ice cream cone...with nuts! Yeah, I know!

Enjoy the day guys.....superman needs to unwind.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Six degrees of separation. You did the original building then. Good that you remembered the guy & are alive! There's always that part. You're also a good guy for going through that for a Brother. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Today was "tree day". We had a wild cherry, around 15 yrs old & 6" diameter @ 5', growing right over the neighbors yard. He doesn't have a normal yard though and even though he's a real nice guy and came to our wedding, we don't want to cause him angst because our tree is messing up his driveway....he rakes it every day....he's a bit particular. Look at it!

So now you know that doing this WITHOUT causing damage or branches everywhere is his yard was pretty imperative to me.

View attachment 367850

Don't look for it, it's gone. I jumped up to the 20' level with my popup ladder(tree was 25' tall) and draped a 1.25" rope around it at a branch, tied it to two come-a-longs and pulled it down slow-style while I hit the base with the 10" Esaw. If you look where the yellow flowers begin on our side, you can see the stump painted black to protect it.

Not one bud or flower was damaged, nor was our lawn or sprinkler system. You can see how nice Ricks yard is....that's why I waited till the buds formed on the tree before removing it...so it wouldn't shatter!

View attachment 367852

Said tree in the back yard, top of the hill.....I'm too tired to haul it to the expanding Dam site! It'll wait....it's gorgeous out here today!

Time for a well deserved.....wait for it....a Nutty Buddy ice cream cone...with nuts! Yeah, I know!

Enjoy the day guys.....superman needs to unwind.
Good job! I cut down many of the wild cherry trees in MI.
We raised 2 turkeys every year and when those little cherries would fall on the ground.
Those turkeys would spend all day eating them.
You should give the wood to Maro2Bear so he can do something on his lathe. 😁

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Good job! I cut down many of the wild cherry trees in MI.
We raised 2 turkeys every year and when those little cherries would fall on the ground.
Those turkeys would spend all day eating them.
You should give the wood to Maro2Bear so he can do something on his lathe. 😁
I love trees but wild Cherry trees are more messy then they are worth to me...but then again we have a lot of them here. I'm pretty beatup this morning. I woke after only 4 hrs, sore as heck. I keep waiting for the "getting used to it again" to kick in.....but it might have left the building!

We went for a bike ride last night down to two of the water access points. Did you know that Turkey Buzzards hiss and huff? We saw this guy on the beach defending his treasure from the others and he was VERY vocal! Cool!
20240313_185747.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Great picture!
We have a lot of turkey buzzards here. I have never heard one,but really haven't been very close to them.
I have experienced with them. On two occasions where they were sitting on the rooftops of houses. Only to find out that both homes had a deceased person in the house.
So everytime I see them sitting on a rooftop. I wonder if someone is dead in the house. 😵😵😵

MaNaAk

Southend
Great picture!
We have a lot of turkey buzzards here. I have never heard one,but really haven't been very close to them.
I have experienced with them. On two occasions where they were sitting on the rooftops of houses. Only to find out that both homes had a deceased person in the house.
So everytime I see them sitting on a rooftop. I wonder if someone is dead in the house. 😵😵😵
I'm not surprised that's what you think Ray. We get Common Buzzards in the UK countryside.

MaNaAk

PS: There was a very musical Great Tit in the tree outside my flat but I shouldn't think TT accepts it🤣🤣