COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Still unseasonably cold! My plants are asking for pants, gloves n shoes! Poor hummingbirds are living at our hummer feeders! The birds went through an entire suet cake in one day. The “Spring” peepers are back in the mud.

I’m going to change the name of my sunflowers ?? to frostyflowers ?⛄️❄️☃️
Saphire is looking at me like I have betrayed him because I can't get him out yet. Once I do though I have to do it everyday. Our warm times have been too sporadic. Some days It's warm in the morning and freezing later. Or even vice versa. I'll be glad when mother nature makes up her mind.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
THis is my weekend to work and of course it is beautiful in RVA. Wife is playing tennis all afternoon since Henrico County put the nets back up! Anyway here is a nice butt shot enjoy Mother's Day Y'all!View attachment 294029
Oh! what a cute little baby butt picture...why in the world do we as parents take pictures to prove our children have the cutest little baby butt. But?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Saphire is looking at me like I have betrayed him because I can't get him out yet. Once I do though I have to do it everyday. Our warm times have been too sporadic. Some days It's warm in the morning and freezing later. Or even vice versa. I'll be glad when mother nature makes up her mind.

The warm to hot weather is on the horizon here in Maryland. Next Thursday COULD be our first 90 F degree day. So, ice this week, but sweltering soon. Ive been cleaning our Sullys outdoor heated nightbox up & getting it ready. Problem is i use the same Kane heat pad, so need to keep that in place.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning! I cleaned tortoise boxes yesterday:) son has been taking advantage of the pool ( and Cinder too ) but it’s still too cold for me! It’s our night time temps that have been unpredictable here. Days are consistent low 80’s but the drops at night have been significant. Looks like they are stabilizing this week and should remain in the 60’s (instead of the 40’s).0CA3D8D0-D131-4D39-A136-4F5F8612D940.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Good morning! I cleaned tortoise boxes yesterday:) son has been taking advantage of the pool ( and Cinder too ) but it’s still too cold for me! It’s our night time temps that have been unpredictable here. Days are consistent low 80’s but the drops at night have been significant. Looks like they are stabilizing this week and should remain in the 60’s (instead of the 40’s).View attachment 294178

Thats a great great looking area! I’m jealous! ENJOY!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Goodmorning everyone, hope everyone is staying safe and sane ???
For the last couple months I have had these snails mostly on the garage door but also on the house, screens and cactus.
I figure they are attracted too the morning dew.
Never noticed them before.
View attachment 293783
Wow, we only get the round garden variety ones.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good evenooning all.

We have been enjoying a few days of decent weather. It all goes downhill on Sunday, so we will enjoy it while we can.

This morning was chores day. Daughter and I cleaned the house while Son and JoesDad shifted a ton of dirt into a skip... the debris from creating the pond.

This afternoon our road had a “Not A Street Party” for VE Day. We have to social distance, so the idea was that we all had an afternoon picnic in our front gardens where we could chat with our neighbours.

Our house is set back from the road and we shae a driveway with the houses either side, we have about 2 square yards of front garden, so we set up a picnic table and chairs on the drive so we were nearer the road and our neighbours used their lawns.

Everyone decorated the front of their property with flags (I printed mine from an image on he internet :D)
View attachment 293825

I baked scones and we ate those with a glass of white wine. It was really good to be able to chat with our neighbours in the afternoon sunshine. I think it did everyone a power of good to talk to different people :)
View attachment 293826

What really made my day was hearing a cuckoo calling. We have lived in this house since 1999 and I have never heard one here before. It has definitely been a day to remember :)
What an awesome idea. Such a pity that where I stay most of the people don't like each other. And it definitely sounds like it was a great day for you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Today is another glorious sunny and warm day. Daughter’s car has a battery flatter than a pancake, so that needs a jump start when we can get it out of the garage. The skip males it hard to get anything alongside it right now, but it’s not exactly urgent. Daughter is insured to drive my car so she took that out on her travels to buy groceries this morning.

A little Lockdown haircut advice
View attachment 293894
LOL. My youngest who always likes his hair styled, finally caved and took the hair shaver and gave himself a no.2 hair cut. Hubby is going to do it tonight and I am trying to convince my eldest to do it as well. But so far no go. ?

Good luck with your daughters car. We start our cars practically everyday just so that we don't have that problem.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good evenooning all.

I started back at the rescue today.It was insanely busy: 17 magpies of varying sizes, sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, dunnocks, 2 blue ****, a mistle thrush, a greenfinch, a great spotted woodpecker... and that was just in my room.

I am taking Daughter next week. We can’t have two volunteers in a room unless they live together. Having her there would mean there was more chance of getting the cleaning done properly. She can learn to feed easy stuff like magpies and I will have more time to spend with the tiddlers like the bluetit I photographed below.

Hungry baby starlings:

Blue tt a few days old
View attachment 294146
Nestling magpies
View attachment 294147
And Daughter baked a Strawberry Shortcake while I was out. My waistline isn’t going to cope with her boredom ?
View attachment 294148
I know what you mean about the waist line. I had to laugh, my cat heard the video with the babies, and had to come to my computer. She was sniffing the computer screen trying to see where these babies were.

And shame the little blue ti*** is really young. Will it survive being that young?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning! I cleaned tortoise boxes yesterday:) son has been taking advantage of the pool ( and Cinder too ) but it’s still too cold for me! It’s our night time temps that have been unpredictable here. Days are consistent low 80’s but the drops at night have been significant. Looks like they are stabilizing this week and should remain in the 60’s (instead of the 40’s).View attachment 294178
That pool looks heavenly!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well I am all caught up again. And glad to see that everyone is still around, safe and healthy. We have been having nice sunny days but today it seems the weather is a changin. It seems to be getting colder, although I was just wondering last night about it, as we are supposed to be in winter and we have yet to have a decent amount of rain. I really hope that the rain starts coming otherwise we will be on lockdown and strict water restrictions next year.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Big news....today is our Sully’s 6th birthday. Yep, now its POOPS are larger than she was, having arrived in a wee little tupperware container all the way from California!

And....40 years ago today I first started working for the US government at the Library of Congress! Wow, time flies.