Collard greens

Reptilony

Location (City and/or State)
QC, CAN
When poeple are refering to ‘’collard greens’’, is this what they are talking about?IMG_0371.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Ok thank you. Would it be good as a regular food?(mixed with other things)

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Ok because I just made this. It’s a chopped mix of field greens(baby romaine lettuces, baby chards, mizuna, beet tops, radichio), collard greens, lots of wheat grass and some repashy grassland grazer gel. You think I should remove the collards if it’s a regular recipe for my tort?IMG_0373.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok because I just made this. It’s a chopped mix of field greens(baby romaine lettuces, baby chards, mizuna, beet tops, radichio), collard greens, lots of wheat grass and some repashy grassland grazer gel. You think I should remove the collards if it’s a regular recipe for my tort?

None of the items in your mix should be used as staples, except the grass. Grass can be fed everyday to a sulcata, but your russian doesn't need grass at all.

If you must use a lot of grocery store greens you should favor endive and escarole as the staples, and mix in all of the above items, and more, once in a while for variety. But there is a whole world of good tortoise food all around you. It is much better for your tortoise and its all free.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
None of the items in your mix should be used as staples, except the grass. Grass can be fed everyday to a sulcata, but your russian doesn't need grass at all.

If you must use a lot of grocery store greens you should favor endive and escarole as the staples, and mix in all of the above items, and more, once in a while for variety. But there is a whole world of good tortoise food all around you. It is much better for your tortoise and its all free.
I can no longer give lots of weeds because im in apartment and can't trust the grass around. That is why I now give wheat grass to replace that. I also have repashy and mazuri. I will feed less of all that stuff then. When my sully will be able to eat hay, that will certainly be it's staple but for now I must do with what I got. Also, winter is coming. I will have to feed lots of grocery greens until she's older unfortunately.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
What kind of tortoise?
Sorry.
You have posts for Russian and Sulcata and your avatar looks to be an aquatic turtle.
I have a 5 months old sulcata. The profile picture is my male mississipi map.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You can put much fiber roughage into grocery store greens by moistening grass pellets, breaking them up and mixing that in. If you don't need that much volume then the ZooMed grassland diet works well for the same purpose. I get it about being in an apartment. See if there is a "TFO" friend somewhere near where you are that might share some weeds and grass.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
You can put much fiber roughage into grocery store greens by moistening grass pellets, breaking them up and mixing that in. If you don't need that much volume then the ZooMed grassland diet works well for the same purpose. I get it about being in an apartment. See if there is a "TFO" friend somewhere near where you are that might share some weeds and grass.
Thanks a lot. I will order some on amazon as my local petshop don't sell it. Would finely chopping orchard grass work just the same?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks a lot. I will order some on amazon as my local petshop don't sell it. Would finely chopping orchard grass work just the same?
Yes it would, but having done that a time or two, I can tell you its messy ad time consuming. You might be able to find some "horse cubes" that are plain blended up grass hay with no additives. This is much easier to use for this purpose. I agree with Will's thought that for a single smaller tortoise the ZooMed Grassland pellet, soaked and mixed in is a much easier way to go for something to mix in to your grocery store greens and improve the fiber content.

What about mulberry trees or grape vines? Any of those up there?

wccmog10

Georgia
@Tom When you say “grape” does that include everything in the grape family- such as muscadine? Or is it just a specific species you are referring too?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Ive been feeding our Sully muscadine “grape” leaves for years now. Pretty much just a different type/species/cultivar than lets say standard Concord grapes, etc.

• Wiki says - Although in the same genus Vitis with the other grapevine species, muscadines belong to a separate subgenus, Muscadinia (the other grapevine species belong to subgenus Euvitis), and some have suggested giving it standing as a genus of its own. Some taxonomists have also suggested splitting two additional species off from Vitis rotundifolia, Vitis munsoniana and Vitis popenoei. All have 40 chromosomes, rather than 38, are generally not cross-compatible with Euvitis species, and most hybrids between the subgenera are sterile. A few, however, are at least moderately fertile, and have been used in breeding. A commercially available Euvitis x Muscadinia hybrid is the Southern Home cultivar.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes it would, but having done that a time or two, I can tell you its messy ad time consuming. You might be able to find some "horse cubes" that are plain blended up grass hay with no additives. This is much easier to use for this purpose. I agree with Will's thought that for a single smaller tortoise the ZooMed Grassland pellet, soaked and mixed in is a much easier way to go for something to mix in to your grocery store greens and improve the fiber content.

What about mulberry trees or grape vines? Any of those up there?
No mulberry trees or grape vines around. I'll send a pic of what I think might be a grape vine this week end. There something that look like it at my mom's house but not sure it's a grape vine.