constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
Kono is constipated, actually its more of an impaction. Is there anything I can do for him besides soaking him, not letting him graze and feeding only leafy greens? Vet said to soak once a day for 20mins but I've upped to 3 times since he gets really annoyed after about 5mins or so. And leafy greens to keep his stools soft/moist. He has only had 1 small bowel movement since the surgery .... that was tues.
He is eating but I know he is bothered because he goes to his night-time hide during the day. He's never done that until after the surgery. (I bring him in and put him in his 'hosp. room' when he doesnt want to sun) I can also tell it causes him pain to try to push his stool out. His back end comes up, he hisses and pulls his head in. I feel really bad for this poor guy. I've been 'gently' pulling the grasses out for him. I am not going up into the cavity just pulling out what I see on the exterior of him. Its a small amount but its all I know to do for him right now.
I will call his Vet in the morning and let him know but wondered if there was anything other than what I am already doing for him. Maybe syringe water in him to make him drink?
Thanks....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try feeding him canned pumpkin. not the pie filling kind.. it has lots of good fiber and should help move things along..

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Laura said:
try feeding him canned pumpkin. not the pie filling kind.. it has lots of good fiber and should help move things along..

I'll try it. I use canned pumpkin for the dogs when they have diarrhia. It firms up the stools right quick. I do believe Kono has more of an impaction problem but moist fiber still sounds right. Thank you, I wouldnt have thought of it.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
I read somewhere that Aloe was good at moving things along.
I think yvonne(emysemys) said it but im not sure.
Best of luck!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pumpkin will firm up or help moe along.. which ever is needed. If you have pumpkin growing or can get it in the stores yet.. you can use fresh as well.. Tis the season

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since mineral oil is non-absorptive, if you put a small dropper-ful in his mouth or down his throat it will coat whatever is inside and make it "slicker," which helps it to move through the "pipes."

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
emysemys said:
Since mineral oil is non-absorptive, if you put a small dropper-ful in his mouth or down his throat it will coat whatever is inside and make it "slicker," which helps it to move through the "pipes."

I'll go back to the store and pick some up. I did think of olive oil but I gather its not the same. Hubby just came back from Trader Joes and brought me a can of organic pumpkin. I think his "pipes" are working okay but its passing thru the sutured area that hurts him.... I'm guessing. Having the stools "slicker" will help him tremendously, I believe.
I have syringes I use for Kono's calcionate syrup and insert it in his mouth when he takes a bite of greens. I learned that I cant hold his head to try to open his mouth like I did for the Deserts. Moe about broke my finger when he pulled in his head suddenly when I was trying to get an ant off his neck.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Does the bigger guy pick on him at all? he might need to kept alone so he doesnt feel threatened in any way. I would only feed him things that wont bind.. so no hay, as that can get a bit bulky to pass. If he eats the pumpkin, you can try mixing the stuff he need into it as well. Less stress if he eats it himself and you dont force him. WIll he eat from your hand at all? Hand feeding a strawberry or tomatoe or banana, is how i got meds into my guys when needed.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Missy said:
Poor guy. I hope he gets well soon.

I know, I feel bad for him. I dont think life has been so peachy for him.

Laura said:
Does the bigger guy pick on him at all? he might need to kept alone so he doesnt feel threatened in any way. I would only feed him things that wont bind.. so no hay, as that can get a bit bulky to pass. If he eats the pumpkin, you can try mixing the stuff he need into it as well. Less stress if he eats it himself and you dont force him. WIll he eat from your hand at all? Hand feeding a strawberry or tomatoe or banana, is how i got meds into my guys when needed.

Nope ... Moe leaves him alone (Moe may be female) but I do have Kono isolated. The garage is warmer and I have him in a big cooler as a hosp. room. He seems to like it and I can keep it clean for him.
He ate some pumpkin on his greens about an hour ago and syringed about 1cc of mineral oil in him too. Gave him a soaking and he is back resting in his room. I let him stay outside while supervised but as soon as I see him meander towards a hide I put him in his room. I'm not letting him even graze on the lawn. Vet wants him on moist greens.
He hasnt eaten from my hand yet, Moe will, but I'll try a bit of banana tomorrow. I'm still going to call the Vet tomorrow but it seems, thanks to you all, this is about the best I can do for him.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I know I told you about my Morty when you first had this situation with Kona. There is a "stool softner" Lactulose Oral Susp.--10g/15ml--that I was given for Mortimer. I put 1ml of the liquid on something that he would eat readily every day. It did help but you have to remember that because the whole digestive process, from when it goes in--to when it comes out, is verrrry sloooow. My Vet also told me that because of the "problem", it was ok if he didn't have DAILY stools for a while [Mortimer could and DID have a 10 day span, at one point, and I would wait-out each day hoping that was the day]. I know how difficult this is for YOU but you must be patient. I also added CUT UP ALOE because the was the 3 things you still need during this time--- lubrication--hydration---and soft fiber. At this post-surgery time--it is most important that Kona is still eating[even if a little less in amount] and that he is still moving around[exercise is a good "stool" motivator. At the end of that 10 day span--- his stool was a different shape and a bit smellier--- but the cloaca didn't come out either. At that point, I increased the amount of opuntia and wheat grass at each feeding. When all was said and done--- It took 4 months for there to be NO MORE cloaca sightings. By the time we were able to be back outside--Morty was his old self again. Be Patient[even though I know it's hard].

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so how is the big guy doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.