Cooper update.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Thanks Blake. Since he has done this a few times I knew not to freak out this time. LOL! Plus when he has a belly ache he tends to grunt and sigh a lot. So we up the heating and make sure he stays good and hydrated. Sure would be nice to be able to speak tortoise once in a while though! :p

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Glad you knew to not overreact. I was just looking at my pitbull, as he was staring at me in front of my bed, and i had no idea what he wanted. He just stood there and looked at me like I should know what he's thinking. My Russian tortoise does this often, and I really don't know what he needs.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Here are the red spots that Cooper has on his neck. They look sort of brown in the picture. He has some on both sides. Any ideas would be very appreciated!!downloadfile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
cemmons12 said:
Here are the red spots that Cooper has on his neck. They look sort of brown in the picture. He has some on both sides. Any ideas would be very appreciated!!

I know that picture isn't very good, the best camera I had to get a pic was my daughters IPhone 5. I'm going to see if I can get some with my camera since we found it and got it to work again. the zoom lens got stuck out and then it wouldn't turn on again. but after sitting in a moving box for 3 months or so it decided to work. Who knows... lol! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hmmm, if you were having nicer weather I would say maybe bug bites. Seeing your probably not, I'm guessing that's not it. I really wouldn't know what they would be from. I wouldn't worry about them, but just keep an eye on them to see if they get bigger, worse or more show up. Probably just a small irritant of some sort. Let us know if the get worse or just go away. Oh, if he were older, I would say age spots:p :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks Barb for looking for me. I was worried as alwAys. He still gets a bath every day. So it sure isn't from being dirty. I will keep an eye on them though for sure. I wonder if there is anything I could put on them to see if they clear up. But not knowing what they are makes that sort of hard. Have a great day today.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Chris are there any furry animals in the house? The first thing that I thought was like a flea bite, it kinda looks like the two spots may overlap each other when he pulls his head in??? If so, perhaps something got stuck in there when he pulled his head in and irritated the spot....?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I didn't think of fleas... I will keep a look out! He has more I have to get that camera to take a better pic...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wonder if you dab on aloe slime and see if that helps to make em go away???? It will moisten the skin without any negative side effects....

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ascott said:
I wonder if you dab on aloe slime and see if that helps to make em go away???? It will moisten the skin without any negative side effects....
I'm willing to try anything that wont harm him. He tore off a little spur on his front right leg by his nail (not sure what you really call it since its not a spur and was partly covering that nail) and I have been doctoring it with Neosporin with pain relief cream. He is a pistol when he wants something, so damned determined and hard headed at times. It didn't bleed but was red and sore looking.
Thanks for the advice Angela!! :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wonder if torts can have allergic reations to things like soaps or fabric softeners?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Need some advice. Cooper had a long sort of beak but on the bottom jaw. Well he broke it off about 20 minutes ago. Its not bleeding but is there anything I can put on it? Dont want him in pain or getting an infection! Hope the picture is good enough for you to see it.

Attachments

• 102_0165.JPG
    102_0165.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 88

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I read this but I don't have any advice, I don't have enough experience. Maybe start a new thread with a new title such as "broken jaw, Beek". I don't know maybe that will get some more responses from experience people. Good luck the poor little thing!

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
this happened to one of my yearling pardalis leopards. it just kept getting worse and worse, started cracking, so I had to take her to the vet and they put her under general anesthesia and bonded it with bonding material. She did great with it and 4 months later is doing awesome. I'd recommend a trip to the best tort vet you can find in your area. If you tort is "cooperative" general anesthesia shouldn't be needed.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Also, I believe I got spoiled back when I use to spend countless hours on here. Seemed like anytime I posted something I got quick replies from veteran members. Plus the new format of the forum is sort of hard for me to get use to at the moment. That's why I am posting from my cell instead of from the computer. Guess my obsessive compulsive behavior knows no bounds.