Cooper update.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm still getting used to the new forum and I'm on quite a bit. I don't know if you know this or not, but if you put a @ in front of a username, like this @yvonne, then she is suppose to get an alert that she should look at a certain post or thread. At least that's how I understood it works. I have not had to deal with a broken beak yet, and can't remember anything that might have been posted about it in the past. If it were me, I think I would just keep an eye on it and not feed on a hard surface and keep it clean, until it has started to grow some. That's just a guess though of what I would probably do.
How is it now?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey Chris !!! what a great mug shot of that handsome guy :)...sorry about the booboo....if it were me I would get a small squeeze bottle and fill it with clean tepid temp water and be sure to flush the area several times a day to keep any debris out....I also would feed him some aloe and cactus--both of which will be good and soft plus the aloe will be beneficial to the beak for cleaning and healing....and of course keep an eye on it...cleanliness and moisture to me would be my first aid to begin with and to watch the area...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks Barb and Angela. I'm keeping it clean. It looks better. Where do I find aloe tho?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get an aloe plant. They usually sell them at menards, Home Depot even some grocery stores will sell either the plant or the leaf of the plant.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey Chris !!! what a great mug shot of that handsome guy :)...sorry about the booboo....if it were me I would get a small squeeze bottle and fill it with clean tepid temp water and be sure to flush the area several times a day to keep any debris out....I also would feed him some aloe and cactus--both of which will be good and soft plus the aloe will be beneficial to the beak for cleaning and healing....and of course keep an eye on it...cleanliness and moisture to me would be my first aid to begin with and to watch the area...

Great idea about the Aloe.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would buy organic Chris....This is a succulent, which retains alot of fluid...I would be just sick if anything happened to Chunks because of some damn insecticide/pesticide/fertilizer reaction.....I attached the above link that offers organic....you likely can find it smaller and lower in cost as well...hey, you may even be able to find organic aloe vera gel in the store or online...if so, you can apply it with a qtip....

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Just wanted to say hello from Cooper, Ophelia, and I! I'm still around. So HELLO all my forum friends!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi my friend!!! How the hell are you doing these days? How is Chunks and little Ophelia doing these days as well?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well it's been a while since I have done Cooper stats. So I will do them after while for anyone that cares anymore. Have a good night....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Would love to hear an update! I have been following this post for a while :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Can you take a better picture of that broken part so those of us with old eyes can see it better? Is a piece hanging off? You said it didn't bleed, but I saw blood. If it's still bleeding put flour or styptic powder on it. If it's got a loose piece it needs to be taken off, can you do it with toenail clippers? Maybe he needs to see a Vet? If he were mine after I cleaned any blood or gunk off of it, I would put some Nolvasan on a Q-tip and rub it on the open/broken part. It's really hard to give advice when I can't really see the injury. I want to help, but feel my hands are tied cause I can't really see the injury. "possibly" you just need to clean it up and file off some of the overage.
BTW; it sounds to me like he is bonding to you like Bob to me, and I know that's a wonderful thing that not all tortoise keepers get to experience. he is growing like a weed and looks so beautiful. Anyhow, see if you can take a better picture for me, unless somebody more experienced helps you. I have a desert type tortoise with abscessed sinus cavity’s and for some reason his bottom jaw grows faster and juts out. So I just file it a little at a time using a fingernail file. I'll watch for the picture. It's good to see you posting about him, he sure has grown since the last time I saw anything on him. Bob is 150 pounds now...
I feel like such an idiot. I didn't realize this was an old thread, so I'm sorry my lousy advice was so late. But it was still nice to hear about him and see his pictures...