Cuts and scabs on Geirgie's Rear Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcake:)

5 Year Member
I have 2 10 month old sulcatas, Georgie and Darcy. I recently moved them out of a glass aquarium into a 4' baby pool so they would have more room. About 4x as much room. Georgie is a climber, always climbing the walls, log and digging. Georgie is very busy. Darcy is more laid back and calm. When giving them a bath today i noticed some cuts and scabs on Georgie's rear legs. The cuts directly correspond with the spikes on Georgie's shell and I assume they are from trying to climb and falling or just resting back down on the legs. Should i be worried about this? The cuts dont look infected or irritated. Should I put some kind of medicine on them or is there a special way to clean them to keep Georgie from getting an infection? Is there something i can do to reduce her climbing?? Please Help!! Worried Mom!! I tried to take a picture but could get a good one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Emysemys had said many times, we can treat wounds like that the same as we would treat those kinds of wounds on ourselfs. Neosporin. Rub in and then wipe the access off. Not sure what you could do to stop him. Maybe put some plants around the outer edge of the pool. Also, do you have plants and hides for them to get under, that might help. Little torts don't want to be right out in the open, where they think they might become some predators next meal.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
May we see a pic of the new enclosure? Pics are so helpful. If your tort has little knicks and such, you can offer a couple warm water soaks to keep the legs moist and also you can offer a warm water flush a couple times a day...clean is important...:D

If you have done a change from aquarium to an open air enclosure then your torts are likely thinking that they can get over the walls easier than what they thought in their prior digs....

You can try to focus their attention towards the center by placing their fun stuff towards the center....again, pics would be very helpful...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might help if you were to take a piece of emery cloth and gently sand those edges of the shell where they rub the legs, smoothing them and rounding them a bit to make it less likely to cause a wound. Don't go too deep or you will hit the quick...just like on your fingernails.

Status
Not open for further replies.