Cypress mulch cleaning and humidity

Ellen & Toby

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire, UK
Hello,

I have been reading the posts about cypress much and substrates but still have a few questions I'm hoping someone could help me with.

1. I have been spot cleaning the enclosure and then doing a full clean once a month but I read somewhere online that you can wash and re-use the cypress mulch? Does anyone else do this, I'm thinking that washing the substrate may help with humidity which I struggle with as being in the UK I need to keep the light/heat bulb on 24/7 to keep the temp high enough for my red foot but which then means the enclosure has a tendency to dry out quite quickly.

2. I have been looking at Hydroballs clay substrates to help with the humidity, does this work or is it a waste of money?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ellen, what most of us do that keep Redfoot indoors is:
Mulch or orchid bark layer covered by a garden soil and compost layer.
We pour water into the corners of the enclosure and it is absorbed by the bark underneath, but leaves the top layer dryer and the top layer offers some protection from evaporative loss.
Also, closing off the majority of the top helps a LOT with keeping in warmth as well as humidity.

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Ok that makes sense, how often would you clean this out fully? Toby has a habit of pulling food off the bowl though, would I get issues from the soil sticking to the food?

Nicole M

5 Year Member
As long as you spot clean excess food and waste (urine, urates, feces), I really don't see any reason to do a totally full change.

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Thanks Nicole. I have had Toby for about two years now but it has been a steep learning curve as the breeder totally gave me the wrong info when I bought him so most of what I know has come from reading items online and doing a lot of cross checking. I finally decided to join TFO to see what experienced keepers said. Toby seems happy and healthy so I think I am getting it mostly right, its just the humidity I struggle with. I'm due to increase the enclosure size, so will try to work out a way to add a roof while I'm at it!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I totally cover my enclosure with plastic. This holds the heat in (as well as humidity) allowing me to use fairly low wattage bulbs....which in turn is less drying.