5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi do I need to dewormer my salcuta tortoise and if so what do I get

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Panacur 10% paste is used for russians and really gets rid of the worms. I'm not sure if it can be used for other species, I would ask the vet about that, and the amount varies for size and probably species. But for russians it is given everyday for 3-5 days, then 2 weeks later, then 2 weeks later from that. Consult with your vet for anything specific.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Pumpkin is a natural wormer. I give it to my sulcata once in a while

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would recommend against treating for worms unless a high load of a specific parasite is found by fecal sample- that needs to be addressed. Prophylactic treating for worms is not a good idea. It is sometimes done in a situation where there is a large colony of tortoises living together and constant reinfection is inevitable. But for a single tortoise, or even small number, the medication used also kills beneficial gut flora used to aid digestion and metabolism in a tortoise, so I would only do when necessary. Additionally some of the common "parasites" are considered beneficial to tortoises in small concentrations.

If you do need to treat, Panacur is the drug of choice for the more common nematodes in all species of tortoise. Pumpkin has no effect as far as a wormer.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I would recommend against treating for worms unless a high load of a specific parasite is found by fecal sample- that needs to be addressed. Prophylactic treating for worms is not a good idea. It is sometimes done in a situation where there is a large colony of tortoises living together and constant reinfection is inevitable. But for a single tortoise, or even small number, the medication used also kills beneficial gut flora used to aid digestion and metabolism in a tortoise, so I would only do when necessary. Additionally some of the common "parasites" are considered beneficial to tortoises in small concentrations.

If you do need to treat, Panacur is the drug of choice for the more common nematodes in all species of tortoise. Pumpkin has no effect as far as a wormer.

Years ago (10-15) I went to the best exotic Vet ever...I took something to her regularly...as I was still in rescue then...So I took a tort to her for worming...she took a small amount of Panacur and inserted it into the cloaca...no loss of gut flora and worms gone...I've been doing it the same way myself now....don't need a Vet for that...