DIY enclosure question

jcrit

Location (City and/or State)
Angleton, Tx
Those of you that have made enclosures, what do you use as the bottom that is waterproof and can be cleaned thoroughly?

I have a 9 month old sulcata.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used Prime Waterproof Vinyl planking, left overs from when we put new flooring in our house. Honestly plywood does just fine. When it gets wet it dries. Just don't use Strand Board because when it gets wet it stays wet and it grows mold.

jcrit

Angleton, Tx
I used Prime Waterproof Vinyl planking, left overs from when we put new flooring in our house. Honestly plywood does just fine. When it gets wet it dries. Just don't use Strand Board because when it gets wet it stays wet and it grows mold.

Thank you. I guess I’m just concerned with mold from the humidity and moist substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use plastic bins or pop up green houses with tarp in floor. When they move to the shed it has a PVC shower floor liner.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I just finished some closed chamber enclosures and I used the pvc shower pan liner to line the bottom of these ones and I’m loving it. In the past I have just panted the plywood but then when I poor water in there to dampin the bark it would leak out on the floor and make a mess.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
What was supposed to be a $100 in Home Depot gift cards or less 2x4 tortoise table turned into a Frankenusery.. I first learned on the cement mixer tub method. I found TFO the night before my baby was to arrive and ha sto rethjnk my enclosure plans. Thought I was all setup... Anyhoo I built a Tort table and used Kilz and silicone and a greenhouse tent to hold humidity. Problem was the plastic dome didn’t hold heat. So 60$ in wood and hardware and 120$ in plexi I built this awesome dome. The bottom of the table had to be scraped and reworked. I used pond armor epoxy liner.. another 80$.
I am kicking my self for not buying a cage from AP cages for a lot less at this point let alone a few weeks of building. If I don’t use them, I’ll use pvc board. I didn’t learn some skill and it fulfilling and fun to build your own ideas. IMG_2050.jpgIMG_2224.jpgIMG_2226.jpgE69C7BCD-F144-42BB-889D-44A39AE91D71.jpg
View attachment 271841

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
What was supposed to be a $100 in Home Depot gift cards or less 2x4 tortoise table turned into a Frankenusery.. I first learned on the cement mixer tub method. I found TFO the night before my baby was to arrive and ha sto rethjnk my enclosure plans. Thought I was all setup... Anyhoo I built a Tort table and used Kilz and silicone and a greenhouse tent to hold humidity. Problem was the plastic dome didn’t hold heat. So 60$ in wood and hardware and 120$ in plexi I built this awesome dome. The bottom of the table had to be scraped and reworked. I used pond armor epoxy liner.. another 80$.
I am kicking my self for not buying a cage from AP cages for a lot less at this point let alone a few weeks of building. If I don’t use them, I’ll use pvc board. I didn’t learn some skill and it fulfilling and fun to build your own ideas. View attachment 271835View attachment 271836View attachment 271838View attachment 271839
View attachment 271841
Very nice!

Relic

Here
I am assuming you did such an extraordinary job in cleaning the garage floor for the benefit of the picture. My gosh man, there's not a speck on it. I'm feeling a guilt-ridden compulsion to go back my truck out of the garage and grab a broom...

Oh, yeah...the cage looks very nice, too.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I am assuming you did such an extraordinary job in cleaning the garage floor for the benefit of the picture. My gosh man, there's not a speck on it. I'm feeling a guilt-ridden compulsion to go back my truck out of the garage and grab a broom...

Oh, yeah...the cage looks very nice, too.

Haha we built last year, and it is a smaller garage so I try to have nothing on the floor. I swept it out for the sake of using, stain, poly, and pond armor. I do have a bit of OCD about my garage lol. The leaf blower works good too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I made a tort table on one of my tortoise shed walls last summer, out of plywood. I painted the floor and up the walls about 6" with Flex Seal:

flex seal.jpg

Once it's dry and the shed aired out for a day or two, it's not harmful to the inhabitant of the tort table.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I made a tort table on one of my tortoise shed walls last summer, out of plywood. I painted the floor and up the walls about 6" with Flex Seal:

View attachment 271856

Once it's dry and the shed aired out for a day or two, it's not harmful to the inhabitant of the tort table.

I want to try this next. I teetered. Way more cost effective 30$ compared to 85$ for Pond Armor