Do torts know what's poisonous or toxic?

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I have been wondering about this in my research about weeds. Some people say torts know what to eat and what not, just like in nature. This to me sounds like a quick way to kill your tort. I don't think it's true. Any insight?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Will do! (It is horrifying to see how many people still believe this and just let their tort eat anything)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been wondering about this in my research about weeds. Some people say torts know what to eat and what not, just like in nature. This to me sounds like a quick way to kill your tort. I don't think it's true. Any insight?
Mark said it. True. So many people have the mistaken idea that tortoises have lived for millions of years with out our have and snidely remark, "I think they know what to eat and what not to eat..." Well the DO know what to eat in the wild, where they grew up, in their native range. But a back yard in 2021 with plants that are from all over the world is a whole 'nother story.

I have personally witnessed some magnificent tortoises die because of this ignorance, and others quite by accident because someone other than the keeper gave them access to poisonous foreign plants.

Don't let your tort have access to anything you have not ID'd and know to be safe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I fully agree.
I had to dig up a bunch of "Easter lily" bulbs that someone planted decades ago in my yard because every spring they'd pop up all along the walkway in my back yard and my REDFOOT would all eat them if they had the chance.
They also tried to eat my tomato plants.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
They have evolved over thousands of years to eat plants native to their environment; that doesn't mean it's safe for them to eat what's on another continent. I see a lot more tortoises harmed on this forum by bad enclosures but that doesn't mean it's not a concern.

I also think many owners here consider only one source when researching what to feed their tortoises; when they should dive at least a couple of places. Ruling out plants with old or limited information isn't ideal in terms of providing a varied diet.

I'm very open to feeding plants that others wouldn't if I've done a proper review of them. I've also never seen my wild Russian do more than nibble anything that's "bad" for her. That said there isn't anything in my (small) yard that I don't know what it is and nothing I bring home that I don't look up.

Perhaps it's because so many people own them but sulcatas seem to be like dogs—they'll eat anything—I wouldn't let one wander in my yard.