Do you love your tortoise?

yillt

There are people who have them to breed, others have them for show or as a fashion icon and the rest have them as pets. But they're not cuddly like a cat or loyal like a dog, they are not lively like a hamster or as cute as a fluffy chick. (But theyre still adorable.) Do we actually love them or do we just want to provide them with a good life? Or, are those two things the same? What do you think?

Douglas Yardley

I love my Red-Foot, who has been with me for 21 years. I don't want to breed her because at present I have no facilities for incubating eggs or raising babies. I would worry about whether the babies were being properly cared for in their new homes and I feel that breeding her would be like commercializing my pet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I guess it all boils down to what is love. it is simply wanting to provide the best life for them make sure they're warm happy and full? if you were to disappear would your tortoise miss you? I've pondered this question before does my tortoise love me? Do I love my tortoise? I don't really know I enjoy them they're my pets I try not to overthink it

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I love my tortoise. I would be very upset if I lost him. Today I was thinking about the pet store where I bought him. He came with an instruction sheet from the breeder that mentioned soaking him. I wonder about the other hatchlings that were there with Charlie. Are they still alive? I don't know if I could sell hatchlings not knowing if they were going to irresponsible keepers.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I love my tortoise. I would be very upset if I lost him. Today I was thinking about the pet store where I bought him. He came with an instruction sheet from the breeder that mentioned soaking him. I wonder about the other hatchlings that were there with Charlie. Are they still alive? I don't know if I could sell hatchlings not knowing if they were going to irresponsible keepers.
That's being responsible. Is it also love?
I mean, I'd miss my truck if someone stole it.:)

Kori5

Maybe it's just "life luggage". I just don't throw down the L word too much any more. Too easy to say and to the point that the whole meaning gets cheap.
I DO take very good care of my pets. That I will agree on.;)
To each their own. I get your point, and don't use "Love" too often. But I do consider my pets as my family and therfore I love them :). Fear of losing one of them, happiness when I'm with them and missing them is love, sure as hell :D.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I love all my animals. I feel I don't own them but share my life with them. And it is my responceblity to care for them the best I can. Well, I can't wait to get back home to them. Been in the hospital for the last 5 days, had major back surgery. Thank goodness my other half also loves them.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That's being responsible. Is it also love?
I mean, I'd miss my truck if someone stole it.:)
If your truck stopped working, you'd probably get mad, not sad. If your truck was totaled but you got a nice fat check for the replacement value, you might even be happy to be getting a new truck. If something happened to Charlie and someone offered me a replacement tortoise, it wouldn't make me any less sad to have lost Charlie. Charlie may look like every other tortoise to everyone else but to me, he is unique and the only one that I feel a bond for. When I see him, it always lifts my spirits. When I see my truck, I don't feel anything. As long as it runs, I don't think about it at all.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If your truck stopped working, you'd probably get mad, not sad. If your truck was totaled but you got a nice fat check for the replacement value, you might even be happy to be getting a new truck. If something happened to Charlie and someone offered me a replacement tortoise, it wouldn't make me any less sad to have lost Charlie. Charlie may look like every other tortoise to everyone else but to me, he is unique and the only one that I feel a bond for. When I see him, it always lifts my spirits. When I see my truck, I don't feel anything. As long as it runs, I don't think about it at all.
Very well said.
I can't argue with that

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I love my dogs.
I say I love my turtles/torts, but it's not the same type of relationship I have with my dogs. My dogs love me back!!