Do you remember the elongated eggs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
Finally the first of the elongated eggs hatched. It took nearly three days for the guy to leave the egg. As you can see it's quite big. This egg was 50 grams when it was laid, and one of the largest eggs I've had so far. I haven't put it on the scale yet, it has to rest for a week first before I move it out from the incubator. Hatchtime was a bit more than 4 moths, and the temp has been 29.6 degrees Celsius. Enjoy !

First sign of life

elvis_1.JPG

Placed in the hatch cup

elvis_2.JPG

Placed in the Spagnum container

elvis_3.JPG

A bit oddly shaped still for a week or so I recon ?

elvis_4.JPG

And the yolk sac looks just fine

elvis_5.JPG

Here you can see the egg tooth (white on this one)

elvis_9.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
will the yolk sac break off?...I am not familiar with the hatchling process...do they "absorb" them?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
jojodesca said:
will the yolk sac break off?...I am not familiar with the hatchling process...do they "absorb" them?

The yolk sac will be absorbed during the following week or so, this is what the hatchling is fed from at the moment. When it is empty and has dissapeared into the plastron, the plastron will heal just like a zipper.

During this time the hatchling will not (and should not) eat anything. But maybe it will take a bite or so from the left over egg shells, that's quite natural sometimes...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
jojodesca said:

The yolk sac will be absorbed during the following week or so, this is what the hatchling is fed from at the moment. When it is empty and has dissapeared into the plastron, the plastron will heal just like a zipper.

During this time the hatchling will not (and should not) eat anything. But maybe it will take a bite or so from the left over egg shells, that's quite natural sometimes...

Ok...has one ever fallen off?..

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
jojodesca said:
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
jojodesca said:

Ok...has one ever fallen off?..

I have personally not seen any that has fallen off, but the yolk sac can be damaged if the substrate is too rough wher you keep the hatchlings, so that's why you should place them on something like spagnum moss that is soft, smooth and disinfecting in a way.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Congratulations! I was wondering how those eggs would turn out, thanks for the update. Things look pretty good!

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Thank you all !

And here is the little guy three days later

elvis_6.JPG

The yolk sac has now nearly dissapeared

elvis_7.JPG

Look at that big guy, 32 grams !

elvis_8.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Will his/her shell always be deformed looking like that? It's very unique...
Are u going to offer them up sell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.