Dry shell? Shedding shell?

noblequintin

Location (City and/or State)
Caldwell Idaho
The top part of her shell in the middle is kinda wrinkle looking and a little pinker/ red than the rest of the yellow I’m wondering if it’s a burn cuz she bask so much . Is to dry? Shedding? I’m worried she is just getting over an RI so I need advice and what to do . Will shell saver work?image.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OMG! It looks to me like it's leprosy and you should mail it to me!!! lol welcome...I am so jealous! What a beautiful turtle. The carapace will smooth out...that's a pretty new turtle...how old? I can't see any discoloration

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
OMG! It looks to me like it's leprosy and you should mail it to me!!! lol welcome...I am so jealous! What a beautiful turtle. The carapace will smooth out...that's a pretty new turtle...how old? I can't see any discoloration
Only a couple months and on the spine area near the head is a lil brown and wtrinkly in the picture you can’t really see it well but what do you think it can be ? She was sick with a RI and left the heat lamp on and a little closer. Could that have done the pink/browning with the wrinkles?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
... in the picture you can’t really see it well ...
I do give them eye drops for vitamin A every couple of days so hopefully it’s working
Welcome! What a cuttie. =))

No one can give an opinion about something than cannot be seen; you need a clear photo of what is concerning you. Turtles are champs at motion-o-graphs, but take your time, experiment with lighting, and snap pics until you get some that show the detail well.

Vitamin A eye drops can be over-dosed...and that can damage your baby's liver, skin, and eyes. Be sure to follow the package instructions carefully.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The top part of her shell in the middle is kinda wrinkle looking and a little pinker/ red than the rest of the yellow I’m wondering if it’s a burn cuz she bask so much . Is to dry? Shedding? I’m worried she is just getting over an RI so I need advice and what to do . Will shell saver work?View attachment 337554
So small and cute

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho

No one can give an opinion about something than cannot be seen; you need a clear photo of what is concerning you. Turtles are champs at motion-o-graphs, but take your time, experiment with lighting, and snap pics until you get some that show the detail well.

Vitamin A eye drops can be over-dosed...and that can damage your baby's liver, skin, and eyes. Be sure to follow the package instructions carefully.
Twice a week on the bottle ?

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho

BFF6539E-60C3-416A-9381-40DE659250D3.jpeg
do you see the slight discoloration on the middle kinda red pink brownish and Wrinkles

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Go easy on the medicine most of us have never used a drop and we have healthy torts. I would question vitamin A in the eyes and the jabs you mention in previous post. It looks like a hatchling so it will only manage so much medicine.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks fine to me. I also wouldn't use the vitamin A drops, they're completely unnecessary.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Normally water turtles get their vitamins from their food. Vitamin A is not something given without reason. His eyes look fine, so they don't need drops.
Tortoises eating a varied diet are not Vit A deficient.

Turtles that eat meats exclusively can become Vitamin A deficient. This is commonly seen in wild-caught turtles or youngsters not given pellets as hatchlings.

Wild turtles are eating fish and invertebrates that have recently fed on live plants...then they are brought into captivity where they are fed insects and fish not maintained on natural, live plant diets. Captive feeder animals (usually high-chitin insects) are by-and-large not at all nutritious.

Hatchlings fed dusted crickets (where the dust washes away into the water) frequently develop multiple nutritional diseases that lead to their deaths. Breeders who acclimate their hatchlings to pellets help new owners keep the diet well-rounded until fruit becomes an attractive food item.

When dealing with an actual case of Vitamin A deficiency, it is safer to use an oral supplement until the turtle is reliably eating fruit or fortified pellets.

The most common commercial Vit A eye drops are made with a synthetic Vit A, not a naturally-derived one. They are also a one-for-all dosage routine that does not take into account animals that are eating a balance natural diet, or a fortified pellet diet, or are smaller-than-average (whatever "average" is). I agree that the majority of eye problems are not due to Vitamin A deficiency.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome ? I noticed you said that you moved the lamp closer to your turtle and I wonder why. If you are noticing a big difference maybe it's too close? Maybe not?. But really I'm not an expert and would like to see what the more experienced members here on TFO have to say about it.

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
Hello and welcome ? I noticed you said that you moved the lamp closer to your turtle and I wonder why. If you are noticing a big difference maybe it's too close? Maybe not?. But really I'm not an expert and would like to see what the more experienced members here on TFO have to say about it.
Vet recommended it because she was battling respiratory infection. To stimulate fever