Eastern Box Turtle eyesight

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
This really surprised me but my Eastern Box Turtle has incredible eyesight. It can see me easily from yards away.

It's only 3-4 years old now and is learning to retract into it's shell and it goes to it's pond but I need to make the pond more accessible. It's hard for her to climb in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of my very favorite species! I have quite a few of them and all eyes are towards me when they see me in the area, with necks stretched out as far as they'll go, "Where's my food, mama?"

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
One of my very favorite species! I have quite a few of them and all eyes are towards me when they see me in the area, with necks stretched out as far as they'll go, "Where's my food, mama?"
I'm still baby feeding it! Eggs and fruit are it's favorite (shell and all!).

At her stage it's protein and more protein. She is very picky about her greens, just like a human child.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wait till she has a tantrum and has you running twisted because she's holding out for 1 fav food. Trust me, she's bullheaded....REALLY bull-headed.

Try to imagine things from her point of view, it's an epiphany when we realize that for them, every single move is a basic survival risk and/or reward. Good to see danger a long way off if they expect to survive with limited defenses. Think if you left your home in an entirely new world, where you were one of the predated.......scary. You're sharp, you know that all animals have defenses, course none as cool as the retractable hardtop our little guys have.

I often try to sneak up on her.....kinda like Alien movies though....by the time I spot her, you know I would have been red-dotted for multiple seconds! LOL

jeff

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I'm totally amazed at her being able to spot me. She can see me when I'm in another room!

She is smart. I have a rubber snake that scares most people. She knows it's fake! It doesn't phase her a bit.

She lets me clean her off though without too much a fuss.