Eating his bedding

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hi all. Today I purchased some Cyprus mulch as substrate for Darwin the Greek. However, I think I may have caught him nibbling at it do I was wondering if he would eat it, if it would pass through his system, and what any dangers were.
Thanks [TURTLE][TURTLE][TURTLE]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I personally do not like this type of stick substrate...now, lots of folks use it, I just don't.

If the sticks are ingested then passing through the system can be difficult...these are after all wood slivers/pieces....I would be certain that the tort is not making a meal of the wood pieces and would also make sure that the tort is and remains well hydrated while this behavior is going on...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of heating and lighting are you using?

What do you normally feed?

What is your supplement routine?

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
I feed kale, radicchio, endive, collard greens, rarely apples or blueberries, etcetera. I typically feed once in the afternoon or evening.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you keep a red or black light burning during the day?

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Sorry my answer is late, and yes I do. I keep that Nd a regular "yellow" bulb on to

*Sorry I meant too for that last word

Aghh! [CONFOUNDED FACE] not Nd but and

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We often see colored bulbs in with the substrate eaters. Try using just a plain regular white bulb for daytime basking, and unless your house gets unusually cold, you don't need night heat for a Greek.

I would skip the fruit, add more variety to the greens, and feed a pile in the morning that will last all day. He'll be less apt to sample the substrate if hes not hungry all day waiting for you to feed him.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Ok thanks. And by yellow I meant clear I couldn't think of a good adjective.