Egg Laying - How long will the digging continue?!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I am going insane. Dig dig, scratch, dig, sniff, bury, dig again, wiggle wiggle, scratch, dig. How long do your Redfoots usually dig before they find a suitable nesting spot? It's been over 2 weeks and I am getting impatient and going a little nuts. I am concerned I am going to end up with an egg bound tortoise if she doesn't make up her mind soon.

I'm going to be adding another 4-5 inches of dirt to the 8-10 inches her box today, but I just don't know what else to do.

What sorts of nesting locations do your RF's favor? I need to figure out how to replicate something appealing for her in my limited indoor space.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
She may be having trouble finding a spot that seems right to her. Have you tried hanging a light over the nesting area to give a heat gradient to her nest site choices?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've got a decent gradient, it's about 89-93f in one corner with most of the 6x4ft space sticking around 82f and the further dark corner is about 78. I also have a seedling germination mat under the warm side to gently warm the substrate.

She seems to favor the warm side.

Also she is still eating really well - could she just be messing with me?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Try pooring water in some areas to moisten the substrate a bit, where it's around 80f if you can. All mine have the option of higher ground. Most of them favor the higher ground, whether it's that factor I don't know.

One of my Brazilians was doing this for about 4 wks when I used to have them in the house, then she dropped them in the water. This was her 1st time laying.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Here we go again with the digging. I think I might make a slant or mound and see if she likes that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine have a liking for mounds of loose soil and have been depositing them over 6" deep.
Mounds of soil on high ground and in the shade.
There is also a construction pipe with soil and mulch under it. I've found many there as well. It's also shaded.
Mine do NOT always lay where the dig, either. Especially if they are disturbed.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The challenge I'm encountering is that I currently only have 4x6ft of space to work with here, indooors, in my dining room. Yesterday, she didn't dog, she just acted like her normal self.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She may have snuck past you and laid her eggs. She is beautiful!

I looked for eggs today, nothing yet. She was definitely more calm today during the day, but she's getting restless again, just in time for me to leave town tomorrow.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Is the digging box covered? Mine like to hide their clutches under their hides/plants/bench/anything really. Try putting a half plastic pot so she feel safe but it is light enough for her to move. They are a pain to cut though.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Is the digging box covered? Mine like to hide their clutches under their hides/plants/bench/anything really. Try putting a half plastic pot so she feel safe but it is light enough for her to move. They are a pain to cut though.

We have been covering the pen with a blanket, but I'll put in one of the hides and see if it helps. We actually use the top halves of those cat carriers as hides since they are always free on craigslist once they lose the clips to hold them together.