EVs?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
the more i travel the more I am considering a electric car. i really like the tesla's. over the past year alone I've driven across country twice ande made ton's of instate trips/right over the state line. Thats the only thing that concerns me is potentially not finding a charging station or finding a charging station but in a bad area. I've been into a lot of bad area gas stations in the past year and with gas at least i can get in and out instead of waiting for a charge.

been in a lot of ubers and such the last year too and quite a few have been electric cars and they are always nice but i think the nicest i've gotten into recently is a Honda accord hybrid one of the newer ones i don't think i've been impressed when just riding in a car as i was with that one.

worse to worse the cybertruck is coming lmao

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I prefer more of a "gray man" approach, but to each his own.
yeah the cyber truck isn't for me personally either i don't like the look. i've been looking at a Ford E transit van they are pretty nice but the charge range is a little low for my needs

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
They fit awful nice in your faux pickup truck! That sideways opening tailgate sold me on mine
Tailgate. Trunk which is rather large. Spacious backseat with fold up seats. V-6. Decent gas mileage. Towing capacity is ok. Ability to haul quite a bit even without a trailer-that’s almost 500lbs of parts and the truck didn’t even feel like there was anything in it. AWD and sporty driving. Ability to throw it in sport mode and “shift” on my curvy hilly roads. Love!!
I sooooo hope Honda makes a EV or hybrid version soon. And they leave alone the things that are great/good about it.
-Meg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Say I didn't say this would be coming and when it does, the concept of simply pulling into a station and exchanging battery packs will make EV's viable to the general public................and here we are!

A rider swapping batteries at a Gogoro GoStation in Taipei in 2018.................we are just late to the development-party!

battery exchange.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Well maybe USA market will see them soonish?
I detest the Ford Motor company and will never do business with them again, but that van is pretty close to what I need. I wish Nissan would sell their E vans over here. They make one right now, but you can't get them here in the US. There are lots of cars available elsewhere that you can't get here. I remember seeing four door double cab Toyota trucks in South Africa in 1998, and complaining that we didn't have them here in the US. We eventually got them, but WTH?

236 mile range isn't great, but it sure beats the 100 mile range of the Nissan. I could make 236 work.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I was kinda hoping when I saw this thread revived was that someone bought one of the options out there

The inflated cost of gas will certainly hasten the switchover, exactly as was planned. I had an eye-opening dinner with a college roommate of Kerry's when we were out West a couple of weeks ago. It turned out that her husband was senior level old school Treasury Dept and we had a fantastic conversation. Closing 5 US refineries for bureaucratic reasons in the last 18 months will do things to the price of gas.

Each Spring, one of my rituals is to uncover and start each of the motorcycles.....it would be much quicker if all I had to do was to plug them in! Of course, if we don't ride or otherwise use a lead-acid, it dies. When I was riding the vstrom around the country, I installed top grade batteries b/c I didn't want an equipment failure 600 miles from home in the mountains, at night, in the rain! LOL

Now I have 2 cheapo's(2=$75 total for the turbo and Vstrom---cheapo's!) on order cause I stopped buying good batteries for bikes I don't often ride. I've tried every trickle charger out there and none will keep an unused lead acid, alive over a year or two of disuse.

Lithium's however are very different.....3 years of not running and when I turned the keys over the w/e, all of my lithium battery-equipped bikes were still charged and ready in the Kaw triples. Those bikes are perfect for lithium b/c they have no hidden drains like clocks and stuff. Lithium's haven't handled those things well over time in my garage. That's why the vstrom and turbo both have lead-acids, they have voltage drains and I don't ride them often enough anymore to keep the batteries alive so it doesn't pay to buy expensive ones.

To the money Gods....
I can't imagine soon buying an electric car w/o a battery warranty("battery insecurity" will become a marketing "thing")....invest now, those companies are going to get rich.

It's interesting that one mans antagonist is another's friend....why so angry at Ford Tom? I'm just curious, not trying to get into your business. We all have preferences in brands for various reasons and I think they are all pretty equal these days, more or less.

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
I detest the Ford Motor company and will never do business with them again, but that van is pretty close to what I need. I wish Nissan would sell their E vans over here. They make one right now, but you can't get them here in the US. There are lots of cars available elsewhere that you can't get here. I remember seeing four door double cab Toyota trucks in South Africa in 1998, and complaining that we didn't have them here in the US. We eventually got them, but WTH?

236 mile range isn't great, but it sure beats the 100 mile range of the Nissan. I could make 236 work.

According to “leaks” dodge is working on it as well. Being their track record on the Jeep side of things I am betting it will be a cpl of years before they offer their dodge van in a completely electric version in the states. Seems almost they are testing under the Jeep line before really pushing on the dodge side. I think they are trying to keep towing and work-ability but also have a “good” range.
After my experience with my 4xe, 90% of my mileage thus far being on the electric, I will be jumping if/when they offer “Magneto” - the full electric Jeep.
And it has been spoken about at car shows and the dodge talks that they will be bringing back the Dakota (as electric to compete against Maverick) which will offer them a nice platform to build a van on.
-Meg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a present for Z;

View attachment 341611
Enjoy the eye candy Z, we think alike! As you can still see in the background if you open the pic in a new tab to make it bigger, this is about half my garage...the little silver car goes on the left side. You should see the b4 pics for the 2 closest, both are very highly modified, I do my own work. #3 is '75 H2-100% Stock, #4 is '82 Yammy Turbo running 18psi w/ blowoff @22, #5 is my vstrom1000 rigged for hwy I ride to Vintage Days in Ohio on it.

iF WE CAN'T SERVE UP A GIFT oops, for a Mod, who can we do it for?

That done, keep in mind folks as we discuss things, that for thousands of years there have been two classes of information. Let me explain what I mean;

We all learned for instance that Columbus discovered/proved/braved that the Earth was round and he could have FALLEN off the edge................BS.

The Greek knew hundreds of years BC that the Earth was not only round, observed by lunar eclipses, they knew the size of it as well! With no ability to read, no access to books or education, the COMMON people didn't know so they relied on word of mouth, myths etc....a lack of info in other words..........

Yet we still learned nearly two thousand years later that some guy in 1492 had something to do with the shape of the planet?

I'm not so sure it's not still the same way today......just a little different.....

There are so many competing agendas, it's difficult to discern the truth since most arguments are built on partial truths. The "News" is now so loaded with personal opinion that the Geodesic station near the cemetery where Walter Cronkite is buried is reporting near-constant Richter activity as he rolls in his grave, so most of us will wait for the dust to settle knowing that there is risk in adopting early.

When you find people who have found a way to make huge sums of money by using YOU as a tool, one should be wary, don't you think?

FWIW- I use window shakers after learning the efficiency of them, gas heat and gas FP that I use most days in the winter..........I use year round budget billing and pay 226mo for a 3200sf and I use the tstat as a personal comfort unit. According to the bill, it's underwater by a few hundred so they will prob adjust it up to 250 or 270 soon. I keep it 72W and 70S...I like to be comfy.

6-800 a month? What does one get extra for that? Sparkles, ouch?
That's a beautiful collection and you obviously have more room for storage than I do.
Nut and bolt restoration is admirable and probably best. But I'm a fan of the "period correct" modded bike. Like a TRACY BODIED H2 with a full Denco King Cobra set up. Lots of big metal flake, loud colors, Lester wheels, etc.
What I HATE (HATE) Is seeing what lazy people call a custom or a Cafe bike that is just some poor old machine with bobbed fenders, some rusted parts removed and the rest of the bike treated to a spray can paint job.
Makes my skin crawl.