EVs?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Doesn't your fuel tank eventually reach empty? You have to stop and refill it, right? How long do those stops take if you go get some food, stretch your legs, potty your dogs, potty yourself, etc...? My stops take 20-40 minutes on average. I just drove to New Mexico for a job last week. We spent about 80 minutes total for all the stops we did for fuel and food and potty breaks. The super chargers take your batteries to an 85% charge in as little as 20 minutes, and they are working on making that even faster. It is now easy to drive cross country in an EV and there are apps that will plot the whole course for you from charging station to charging station. The number of charging stations is expected to triple in the next few years.

Now imagine that "fill up" cost about 90% less... Imagine paying .04 cents a mile instead of .25-.43 cents a mile. What did you used to pay for gas to go from OR to CA? Now figure that same distance at a fraction of the cost...

Also, not many people drive more than 300 miles a day on a regular basis. I only do it a few times a year. People who drive more than that for a living usually are not driving their personal regular passenger vehicles.
You should know by now that I am a horse of a different color....No my tank generally does not reach empty...I have a small tank and start looking for a gas station around 1/2 tank...I absolutely understand your desire to save fuel. Until recently my car and I were fine. It's on it's third engine.... bigger better faster it's 6 yrs old. Nowadaze I'm pouring octane booster in and hoping I can make it to my sisters and home without spending too much money.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should know by now that I am a horse of a different color....No my tank generally does not reach empty...I
The point is that your current gas burning car has a limited range and must be refueled periodically. Same with an EV. What I don't understand is why people get so hung up on the fact that after a while, an electric car will run out of juice, when the cars we currently drive also run out of juice. Either one has to be refilled. 10 years ago, there were not too many places to refill an EV, while there were lots of places to refill gas burners. That situation has changed dramatically in recent years with tens of thousands of charging stations everywhere all over the whole country, and many more in the works.

There is an added benefit to the EVs that is often over looked though. While we seem to focus on the long drive that would carry us farther than a tank of gas or a charged battery can carry us, the vast majority of driving for most people in their personal cars (not work vehicles) does not carry them farther than a tank of gas or single charge during the course of a normal day.

I can't refuel with gasoline at my house. Well... I suppose I could go to a filling station with gas cans and bring them home, but I still have to go to a filling station one way or another since I don't have underground gas storage tanks and regular deliveries of gasoline coming to my house.

On the other hand, I am fully set up with electricity at my house and can re-charge an EV any time I want without having to go anywhere. Does anyone like going to the gas station? I don't. Leaving out the long distance road trips for a minute, a person NEVER has to go to a gas station ever again. Is this not appealing to you? Wouldn't it be nice to have a full "tank" every day with no thought of having to stop for gas, or plan your route and time frame to stop at that cheaper gas station across town? Man... I waste SO much time driving to gas stations and pumping gas... I drive around 100-150 miles a day every day between falconry and work and family fun stuff. This has me refueling almost every day, or every other at the least. Its very rare that I drive more than 200-300 miles in a day. I only do that once every month or two.

I suppose this is a case of ymmv. Your mileage may vary.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Doesn't your fuel tank eventually reach empty? You have to stop and refill it, right? How long do those stops take if you go get some food, stretch your legs, potty your dogs, potty yourself, etc...? My stops take 20-40 minutes on average. I just drove to New Mexico for a job last week. We spent about 80 minutes total for all the stops we did for fuel and food and potty breaks. The super chargers take your batteries to an 85% charge in as little as 20 minutes, and they are working on making that even faster. It is now easy to drive cross country in an EV and there are apps that will plot the whole course for you from charging station to charging station. The number of charging stations is expected to triple in the next few years.

Now imagine that "fill up" cost about 90% less... Imagine paying .04 cents a mile instead of .25-.43 cents a mile. What did you used to pay for gas to go from OR to CA? Now figure that same distance at a fraction of the cost...

Also, not many people drive more than 300 miles a day on a regular basis. I only do it a few times a year. People who drive more than that for a living usually are not driving their personal regular passenger vehicles.
20-40 minutes for a pit stop? Fuel, no. 1, and food grab is limited to 15 max. Deuces are for work and home sir! Besides the tank and the eco mode in Ridgeline allow me to out drive my bladder!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
20-40 minutes for a pit stop? Fuel, no. 1, and food grab is limited to 15 max. Deuces are for work and home sir! Besides the tank and the eco mode in Ridgeline allow me to out drive my bladder!
I know I know... It can certainly be done faster, but I prefer to sit down and eat. My meals tend to be condiment heavy and I hate trying to manage ketchup packets or hot sauce in the car.

Also, 99% of the time when I'm traveling I have dogs and/or other animals in the car with me, and that adds time to the pit stops too.

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
*perks* Ridgeline???
34706994-C262-4D84-AB13-4D89DFD0E65E.jpeg
That’s my baby I picked up in July of last year.. Love that truck. Wish I could have bought it in hybrid.

Here in Tennessee I can even plug for free at certain places. Which is amazing. Being a Hilton diamond member most of my hotels also offer free plugs as well. Plugging into the charging points at the mall and the local groceries costs me a couple of dollars.
9A16AA33-471F-4F7C-9400-1A4CFC1085D7.jpeg

-Meg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I know I know... It can certainly be done faster, but I prefer to sit down and eat. My meals tend to be condiment heavy and I hate trying to manage ketchup packets or hot sauce in the car.

Also, 99% of the time when I'm traveling I have dogs and/or other animals in the car with me, and that adds time to the pit stops too.
We had a pomeranian years ago that was the best car dog ever. His bladder was 10-12 hours on hold and he was asleep in his spot before we got on the highway!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
*perks* Ridgeline???
View attachment 341872
That’s my baby I picked up in July of last year.. Love that truck. Wish I could have bought it in hybrid.

Here in Tennessee I can even plug for free at certain places. Which is amazing. Being a Hilton diamond member most of my hotels also offer free plugs as well. Plugging into the charging points at the mall and the local groceries costs me a couple of dollars.
View attachment 341873

-Meg
RTL-E model and exactly the color and wheels! I have a Peragon aluminum tonneau cover and I am thinking about an ARE cap!

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
RTL-E model and exactly the color and wheels! I have a Peragon aluminum tonneau cover and I am thinking about an ARE cap!
Mine is just the sport but I had a lot switched out. I hate chrome. I wanted the black out edition but couldn’t find one. Well let me rephrase that wasn’t traveling cross country to get or paying the crazy prices. I got a nice buy on mine.

How do you like that cover??? That’s one of the ones I have been looking at! I want security but ease of taking off with a little work. And I don’t want one of the ones that goes into the bed box because I worry about rust and it takes up more room and can’t be taken off without a ton of work.
-Meg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Mine is just the sport but I had a lot switched out. I hate chrome. I wanted the black out edition but couldn’t find one. Well let me rephrase that wasn’t traveling cross country to get or paying the crazy prices. I got a nice buy on mine.

How do you like that cover??? That’s one of the ones I have been looking at! I want security but ease of taking off with a little work. And I don’t want one of the ones that goes into the bed box because I worry about rust and it takes up more room and can’t be taken off without a ton of work.
-Meg
It is nice and I can still open the trunk to load groceries and even carry sheets of plywood! Takes a minute to get it off but it's not too complicated just a touch heavier than the fabric ones. It keeps the bed mostly dry but with the lines and body style of the Ridgeline that's pretty good. I got my warranty aftermarket after reading about it on the Ridgeline forum. The dealer does a ton of them a year and way cheaper than when I bought the truck.

Attachments

• 20220316_190139.jpg
    20220316_190139.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220316_190235.jpg
    20220316_190235.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220316_190221.jpg
    20220316_190221.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220316_190206.jpg
    20220316_190206.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220316_190158.jpg
    20220316_190158.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
It is nice and I can still open the trunk to load groceries and even carry sheets of plywood! Takes a minute to get it off but it's not too complicated just a touch heavier than the fabric ones. It keeps the bed mostly dry but with the lines and body style of the Ridgeline that's pretty good. I got my warranty aftermarket after reading about it on the Ridgeline forum. The dealer does a ton of them a year and way cheaper than when I bought the truck.
Thank you for the reply and pictures. That really sets my mind at ease. Guess I will be making my appointment to get it done. I hope these local guys are good; they seemed knowledgeable when I spoke with them and are game to order and install pretty much everything I have talked to them about. If they are good then they will be doing my Jeep.
-Meg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The point is that your current gas burning car has a limited range and must be refueled periodically. Same with an EV. What I don't understand is why people get so hung up on the fact that after a while, an electric car will run out of juice, when the cars we currently drive also run out of juice. Either one has to be refilled. 10 years ago, there were not too many places to refill an EV, while there were lots of places to refill gas burners. That situation has changed dramatically in recent years with tens of thousands of charging stations everywhere all over the whole country, and many more in the works.

There is an added benefit to the EVs that is often over looked though. While we seem to focus on the long drive that would carry us farther than a tank of gas or a charged battery can carry us, the vast majority of driving for most people in their personal cars (not work vehicles) does not carry them farther than a tank of gas or single charge during the course of a normal day.

I can't refuel with gasoline at my house. Well... I suppose I could go to a filling station with gas cans and bring them home, but I still have to go to a filling station one way or another since I don't have underground gas storage tanks and regular deliveries of gasoline coming to my house.

On the other hand, I am fully set up with electricity at my house and can re-charge an EV any time I want without having to go anywhere. Does anyone like going to the gas station? I don't. Leaving out the long distance road trips for a minute, a person NEVER has to go to a gas station ever again. Is this not appealing to you? Wouldn't it be nice to have a full "tank" every day with no thought of having to stop for gas, or plan your route and time frame to stop at that cheaper gas station across town? Man... I waste SO much time driving to gas stations and pumping gas... I drive around 100-150 miles a day every day between falconry and work and family fun stuff. This has me refueling almost every day, or every other at the least. Its very rare that I drive more than 200-300 miles in a day. I only do that once every month or two.

I suppose this is a case of ymmv. Your mileage may vary.
It's really very simple...I go on road trips in my car and traveled the road in my big truck...when I need gas in my car or in my diesel big truck, there's gas stations easily available and enuf truck stops. Your electric car can only go around 300 miles just like my IROC...but there's gas stations at almost every exit...you will not have charging stations like that for almost 6 years or more. So while the car is a good idea...I wouldn't invest my money just yet...You said something recently about New Mexico...you didn't drive an ev there...
Ok locally...honestly, I don't do much local driving, and when I do...I want speed, power andI have more fun driving the 4 miles to the Safeway than you will have driving all day...:)

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You said something recently about New Mexico...you didn't drive an ev there...
I would have if I had one. It was all those stops for $5 a gallon gas that made me really re-think the electric car idea and look into it again. My little mini cargo van only gets about 200 miles to the gallon and we had to stop five times each way. It sucked. My diesel van will get 500-600 mile to a 30 gallon tank on the highway, but then it costs $150, or more in CA, to fill it back up.

Here is another thought. I know a lot of people that rent a fuel efficient little car when they are going to go on a long distance road trip. They say they do it to save money on gas over their regular car, and also to keep the miles off of their car. If an EV is still impractical for long road trips due to a lack of charging stations in the area where a person is traveling, they could rent a car for the trip, and still reap the benefits of an EV for all of their regular daily driving. From what I read and watched, this just isn't an issue any more. When I get one, and start using it daily, I'll let you know what I learn.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also

Z, Don't you DARE! If I can leave it alone, YOU can leave it alone......- besides, it wasn't the point he was making which is the ONLY reason I'm letting it slide....sort of....<LOL>

sheepishly, I hand over the "Brass One's" award to you Tom......I can't compete with that brother, that's some kinda Bold!

I am of course, just having fun with friends........
Non motorcycle people. I mean non sport bike people have a different concept of speed.
My ZX14R can easily do 135 mph in 2nd gear. And in short order. And the exhaust note is a beautiful symphony.
Even an older. Slower bike is a rocketship compared to most 4 wheel vehicles.
And especially when you compare price.
Nine seconds on two wheels is less than 20k.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Non motorcycle people. I mean non sport bike people have a different concept of speed.
My ZX14R can easily do 135 mph in 2nd gear. And in short order. And the exhaust note is a beautiful symphony.
Even an older. Slower bike is a rocketship compared to most 4 wheel vehicles.
And especially when you compare price.
Nine seconds on two wheels is less than 20k.
My CBR 600 did just over 100 in 2nd gear. I rode a few 1000s, but I can't imagine a race tuned 1400. And that Tesla Plaid beats it...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My CBR 600 did just over 100 in 2nd gear. I rode a few 1000s, but I can't imagine a race tuned 1400. And that Tesla Plaid beats it...
What if you took just a small portion of that price difference and popped a turbo on the Kaw?
The truth is that Kawasaki is also getting into electric bikes. It IS the future.
But it's probably a future that I won't see or need to deal with.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
So Tom, I'm curious.....It appears that you have arrived at a place where it seems that you are comfortable enough to actually make a purchase. Are you looking at the new Lectrics out for this year or are you going to wait till the global economy settles?

"Alex, I'll take Plaid for $100

The answer is; "Plaid & 27 sweaters"

"What is; What Kerry wore on our 1st date?"

PS. I knew Z couldn't leave it alone, that's why I called attention to it.....to bait my buddy(aren't I a great friend?)...there isn't a Flashed ZX14 owner worldwide who was gonna leave that one alone, we got too much pride for that! <LOL>, thanks Z....that is one GD impressive machine you have, as is the CBR600....got to love "flickable"!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So Tom, I'm curious.....It appears that you have arrived at a place where it seems that you are comfortable enough to actually make a purchase. Are you looking at the new Lectrics out for this year or are you going to wait till the global economy settles?

"Alex, I'll take Plaid for $100

The answer is; "Plaid & 27 sweaters"

"What is; What Kerry wore on our 1st date?"

PS. I knew Z couldn't leave it alone, that's why I called attention to it.....to bait my buddy(aren't I a great friend?)...there isn't a Flashed ZX14 owner worldwide who was gonna leave that one alone, we got too much pride for that! <LOL>, thanks Z....that is one GD impressive machine you have, as is the CBR600....got to love "flickable"!
I really need a cargo van, and so far there isn't one on the market. I'm considering the F150 Lightning "Pro" model with a camper shell on it, but I really need the van. Ford is supposedly coming out with an electric transit, but they are talking $60-70K for that. The whole care market sucks right now and the prices are ridiculously high for everything.

I really have no use for a "sedan" type car. I drive a 4x4 Taco when I'm not in a cargo van, and my wife prefers SUVs with enough seats to haul a bunch of rug rats around, though we are quickly approaching the end of that era of our lives. Daughter will soon be driving herself, so a smaller SUV might become a possibility again soon.

I can't remember where that term (flickable) came from, but it sure applies. We used it frequently at the MX track to describe the lighter feel of the 250s over the heavier 450s in the air. I was able to "save it" several time on my 250 in situations where I'd have been on the ground with a fo fiddy fo sho. Likewise, I could throw that 600 back and forth through mountain S turns in ways that I couldn't with a 1000.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Flickable=RD350 any questions guys? Pretty certain even GOD wouldn't argue with that one! Lil Giant killer!

You can be pretty sure that anything "worth having" will be in the 70-80K range Tom, you know it. With questionable chips coming online now from some non-ISO sources after waivers were granted, a year or so might not be a bad wait time and might coincide with kids moving to college....ok, sorry to remind you of impending financial ruin...we all go through it....but the market and hopefully global issue will settle for you.