Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
It's not cheap...

www.il.proquest.com

Keep in mind that although this study is pretty detailed it is very limited in both time and scope. It also appears that the author already had a conclusion and fit the study to support that conclusion. That's not how the scientific process is supposed to work.

That's a personal opinion... mind you.

The home webpage is not user friendly or the publication is no longer available... which i doubt.

Itort said:
Madkins007 said:
In a recent speech to our local herp society, Dr. Joseph Collins, author of a gazillion books on herps including several field guides, said to not rely too heavily on the internet- too much bad, old, misleading, over-generalized, etc. on there. A good source for a lot of stuff, obviously, but not everything.

He also pointed out that many authors of good info intentionally keep their stuff off the net since they expect to make some money from their work.

My printed references are:
- Dr. Douglas Mader's book "Reptile Surgery and Medicine" (mostly WAY over my head, but some great stuff in there.)
- Pritchard's "Turtles of Venezuela" which not only has a great section on Red-foots, but has some wonderful introductions to many aspects of turtles. Well worth looking for through a library loan or something.
- Debra Moskovits' thesis "The Behavior and Ecology of the Two Amazonian Tortoises, Geochelone carbonaria and Geochelone denticulata in Northwestern Brazil" (Not designed as a hobbyist's reference, but tons of great info to be teased out of it.)
- Mike Pingleton's "Practical Care and Maintenance of the Redfoot Tortoise"
- Richard Cary Paull's "Vol. 4: The Great Redfoot Tortoise"
- and a lot of published articles in the International Zoo Yearbook, Radiata, Reptiles, and more. (I have a decent library of digitized articles from many sources that I refer to).

I REALLY like to research stuff! :)
Madkins,where did you find Moskovitz's thesis? I've been searching for it.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
That's what I found but hope springs eternal. I hoped I could glean something of value out of it.
-EJ said:
It's not cheap...

www.il.proquest.com

Keep in mind that although this study is pretty detailed it is very limited in both time and scope. It also appears that the author already had a conclusion and fit the study to support that conclusion. That's not how the scientific process is supposed to work.

That's a personal opinion... mind you.

The home webpage is not user friendly or the publication is no longer available... which i doubt.

Itort said:
Madkins007 said:
In a recent speech to our local herp society, Dr. Joseph Collins, author of a gazillion books on herps including several field guides, said to not rely too heavily on the internet- too much bad, old, misleading, over-generalized, etc. on there. A good source for a lot of stuff, obviously, but not everything.

He also pointed out that many authors of good info intentionally keep their stuff off the net since they expect to make some money from their work.

My printed references are:
- Dr. Douglas Mader's book "Reptile Surgery and Medicine" (mostly WAY over my head, but some great stuff in there.)
- Pritchard's "Turtles of Venezuela" which not only has a great section on Red-foots, but has some wonderful introductions to many aspects of turtles. Well worth looking for through a library loan or something.
- Debra Moskovits' thesis "The Behavior and Ecology of the Two Amazonian Tortoises, Geochelone carbonaria and Geochelone denticulata in Northwestern Brazil" (Not designed as a hobbyist's reference, but tons of great info to be teased out of it.)
- Mike Pingleton's "Practical Care and Maintenance of the Redfoot Tortoise"
- Richard Cary Paull's "Vol. 4: The Great Redfoot Tortoise"
- and a lot of published articles in the International Zoo Yearbook, Radiata, Reptiles, and more. (I have a decent library of digitized articles from many sources that I refer to).

I REALLY like to research stuff! :)
Madkins,where did you find Moskovitz's thesis? I've been searching for it.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
RE: Thank you for references

-EJ said:
I'll be in Daytona... hopefully with some copies to sell...

Jacqui said:
I have Ed's Russian book, but am waiting for a chance to get an autographed copy of his other book. :D

In this format, its often times mysterious who people "really are" behind the username. It is obvious from these posts that "EJ" or "Ed" is the same EJ Pirog we've been discussing at home. In the back of our Star Tortoise book is an advertisement for a book, author EJ Pirog, about Egyptian tortoises. However, we've not located such book. Any information about that book would be appreciated. Assumption is that it is still in the works.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

yea... Russ asked me to write the book and I'll probably get to it in the next year. It did put some pressure on me that he advertised it before I wrote it but... it's comming. That's how the publishing industruy works... Ask AH about the Testudo book he promised... ummmm... 20 years ago?

As to who people are... Ed Pirog, EJ Pirog, Ed, EJ ... what mistery?

I don't know how I can be more straight forward.

Ed

Tim/Robin said:
-EJ said:

Jacqui said:
I have Ed's Russian book, but am waiting for a chance to get an autographed copy of his other book. :D

In this format, its often times mysterious who people "really are" behind the username. It is obvious from these posts that "EJ" or "Ed" is the same EJ Pirog we've been discussing at home. In the back of our Star Tortoise book is an advertisement for a book, author EJ Pirog, about Egyptian tortoises. However, we've not located such book. Any information about that book would be appreciated. Assumption is that it is still in the works.

S

stells

-EJ said:

Always so far away :( I will have to miss the book signing this time around :(

Status
Not open for further replies.