Fertilizer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

prelyt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I had a quick fertilizer question because our lawn is fertilized with Scott's organic fertilizer and although I haven't taken my tortoise out to the grass, if he got into it would it make him sick? I guess I am wondering if since its organic is it ok for him? Or should it be totally avoided?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on exactly what was in it. Most lawn additives nowadays are "weed and feed" concoctions. Can you snap a pic of the ingredients list and post it?

prelyt

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
Depends on exactly what was in it. Most lawn additives nowadays are "weed and feed" concoctions. Can you snap a pic of the ingredients list and post it?

Yes, I have to run out to do some errands but I will post an ingredient list later today.

prelyt

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:

Hey Tom, sorry for the late reply. Here is a photo

Gamh0wg.jpg

Here is another one.

Attachments

• 20130902_101148.jpg
    20130902_101148.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Do not chance it, in my opinion. I see the word "metals" to the right with a regulatory information site to go to. And some of these ingredients are chemically derived. Nope. No. Nein, Nu, Niet. In my humble opinion.

If you can, get coffee grounds from Starbucks (Grounds for your Garden program) or a local donut shop, for free. They work wonders on grass. (Also good for hibiscus, roses and tropical plants). Sprinkle. Soak deeply so they get in to the soil. Wait a week. Should be okay for your tortoise and it will green up your grass fast without icky chemical junk. (My opinion, again).

prelyt

5 Year Member
Southern California
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Do not chance it, in my opinion. I see the word "metals" to the right with a regulatory information site to go to. And some of these ingredients are chemically derived. Nope. No. Nein, Nu, Niet. In my humble opinion.

If you can, get coffee grounds from Starbucks (Grounds for your Garden program) or a local donut shop, for free. They work wonders on grass. (Also good for hibiscus, roses and tropical plants). Sprinkle. Soak deeply so they get in to the soil. Wait a week. Should be okay for your tortoise and it will green up your grass fast without icky chemical junk. (My opinion, again).

Thanks for the advice! I even just picked up a hibiscus plant today for little Walter's outside enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.